Author Topic: Water  (Read 2201 times)

Offline poodleinacan

• Soldier
Water
« on: December 08, 2011, 07:32:23 pm »
Water could be nice to add.

In the map-maker program thing (which I don't remember the name), the water polygons could bounded of the water's effects, and it could overlap over other water polygons without causing double-effects.

Particles effects of when the player enters and exits the water boundaries could apply.
After 3 years, I'm back on the forums!

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
Re: Water
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 12:08:09 pm »
Isn't there something like that on Leo's TW...? But it only hurts players while their inside of it (they can't breathe)...

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 12:27:00 pm »
Isn't there something like that on Leo's TW...? But it only hurts players while their inside of it (they can't breathe)...
Its a flawed system, you will only get hurt if you stand at the bottom of the pool. If you're anywhere between the floor and the water surface, there's no harm nor any special effects, its just a polygon you can pass through.

Offline poodleinacan

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 03:33:31 pm »
The forums aren't like they used to be...

There's even less people on it, than the last time I was on...which was 3 years ago (not counting yesterday)

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 05:08:12 pm »
Its a flawed system, you will only get hurt if you stand at the bottom of the pool. If you're anywhere between the floor and the water surface, there's no harm nor any special effects, its just a polygon you can pass through.
Adding polygon that slows soldier down would be a solution... But anyway, Soldat doesn't really need that water so much atm...

Offline poodleinacan

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 07:11:32 pm »
I only have the version 1.4 on my laptop... 2 "major" game updates aren't much... In 3 years...

But water could be welcomed for some maps.

Offline Vucgy92

• Soldier
  • cyklon-b is the only way
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 09:15:22 am »
Yeah im pissed of they made bonucy poly flagers hurt flagers dont pass flagers shit only flagers see only flagers burn only 100 of such polys and not a simple water polly that would make so much mappers happy i dont get it fuck!
Choose one,
Bonecrusher

Offline poodleinacan

• Soldier
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 06:49:52 pm »
Yeah im pissed of they made bonucy poly flagers hurt flagers dont pass flagers shit only flagers see only flagers burn only 100 of such polys and not a simple water polly that would make so much mappers happy i dont get it fuck!

I understand you... I understand you...

Offline NamelessWolf

• Soldier
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 02:31:27 am »
Water could be nice but then it would take for Soldat developers to make new animations and movements, so that you could actually swim instead of bouncing around at the bottom. Also water shouldnt hurt at the surface and you should regain original health as soon as you get up to the surface. You should be able to shoot through water but bullets should slow down and hurt less.

The water at Trenchwar maps as it is now is just scenery that looks like water and some hurting polygons at the bottom (some maps, like tw_Forest, doesn't even have hurting polygons).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 02:33:02 am by NamelessWolf »

Offline chox

• Major(1)
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 05:09:36 am »
I can't imagine transition from running to swimming (without loosing speed) and to make it at the same time playable and not annoying

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 11:03:46 pm »
I can't imagine transition from running to swimming (without loosing speed) and to make it at the same time playable and not annoying
Underwater areas would basically be low-gravity areas (you can already change gravity, but right now it affects the entire map). I'm sure it won't be annoying if it slows you down only a little bit. It worked fine in games like Quake and Half Life, so I don't see why it would suck in Soldat. In fact, in case of Soldat it should work even better than in Quake/Half-Life. Because Soldat is 2D - it's easier to keep track of whats around you, which also means it's easier to spot enemies even if they'll be underwater. This will make water vs. surface fights more common than in 3D shooters, and because water has its own cons and pros - it can be used for many different purposes, and therefore will allow making more interesting maps and add more variation to gameplay.