Author Topic: TW map with underground transport  (Read 2193 times)

Offline NamelessWolf

• Soldier
TW map with underground transport
« on: January 28, 2012, 04:05:26 pm »
I thought of the idea to use something similar to CTF_Blade in a TW map.

What do you think? Is it worth working on?

Offline TheOne

• Soldier
Re: TW map with underground transport
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 10:52:43 am »
Since you spend so much time in TW walking, walking - it would be very helpful to have such transport system. I would prefer a split transport way, though, not connected - maybe several "stations" = bunkers?

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 07:22:25 am »
TW is all about walking. if you don't like that part then switch to TTW.
Oh wait...
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:14:07 pm »
Long time ago TW has been called "Team Walk" because of some mistake. We all know that's Trench War, but this remembrance should express my reply to this idea...

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 03:49:22 pm »
Sadly I have to agree with Falcon. TW maps are supposed to be long, and there's a reason for that - a slow careful advance. A "fast travel" tunnel completely ruins that part and therefore the whole point of TW. I imagine top route would be barely used, and everyone would be goofing off in the tunnel below.

Offline NamelessWolf

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 05:45:44 pm »
The idea is that the tunnels should be so narrow that it's impossible to rise up and jump over a grenade in there. There would be two holes at each place where you can throw grenades down into the transport, with just a small distance between them so that the grenades doesn't set each other off if you throw one grenade in each hole. At these places there would also be a grenade kit popping up every time someone picks it so basically one player could constantly block a transport route when standing over it.

If this works out as planned at least one of the two transport tunnels should (more or less) always be blocked by nade spam, either from the team who holds the middle or by the defending team that struggles to keep breachers away from their flag. Using the tunnel in such a situation would pretty much be suicide.

However the part of the tunnel that would still be open is the tunnel from the base of the dominating team to the middle of the map. Both these points would be held by one and the same team (if one team already fought their way to that position) and therefore there would be no reason for anyone to nadespam that tunnel. So in other words if everyone does what they're supposed to, the tunnel should mainly be used just for faster reinforcements for the dominating team. To balance that there would be no healing polygons inside the middle base, but many healspots on other parts of the battlefield.

The question is just if it would work.

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 12:52:35 pm »
A "fast travel" tunnel completely ruins that part and therefore the whole point of TW.
Yea, let us still lose HP during the walk to enemy! :P

Offline NamelessWolf

• Soldier
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 01:30:18 pm »
It seems that most response to this idea is quite negative, but I might still try to make a good map out of it because I'm curious how it would play.

I could imagine the tactics in a 3v3 scrim. One player would probably defend, by staying inside one of the nade spam bunkers, while the other two would attack (by request the defender could briefly stop nade spamming to let a a team mate through). If the attackers were successful they would take the middle and one of them could start nade spamming the tunnel at the enemies' side until the defending soldier had time to jump down the transport and get himself to the middle. There the defender would take up his former duty, one step closer to the enemy flag.

To some extent it could resemble TTW, but there would also be important differances. There would always be an option to run through the map just like any TW map and it's likely that players would still often choose that alternative. The defender would have to take care of regular incoming enemies' as well as blocking the tunnel.

Also if these tactics became commonplace and if everyone was counting on that the tunnel was blocked the defender could somtimes take the risk and leave the tunnel unguarded. That would be very risky, but could also be surprising the enemies because of it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 02:08:39 pm by NamelessWolf »

Offline Vucgy92

• Soldier
  • cyklon-b is the only way
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 06:51:45 pm »
I dunno about the tunnel but a tunel from 1 flag to the another no... so maybe something like this :
Choose one,
Bonecrusher

Offline NamelessWolf

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 02:58:14 am »
Ah.. yes. A "blue blayer collides" blocking the entrance to the left tunnel and a "red player collides" blocking the right tunnel. Could be a good thing.

Then there would be no need for nadespam stations at the flags, only in the middle.. and at those sidebunkers you added, if I was to use that. You wouldnt have to leave a defender behind on your own half of the map, which is good for games with domination script.

Good idea!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 03:03:25 am by NamelessWolf »

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 09:40:11 pm »
player gates are definitely a must. Transport tunnels could end before the middle of the map (like 1/4, in the first bunker), so they would be just... transport.
they will be overused: yes. How to fix this: maybe the hill that you have to climb hurts, so if you use the tunnel you'll have less health.
I don't know if this will make the game faster or slower, because it will be harder to come back with the flag, but it will make it more action paced.

should be tested!

PS.: I am NOT a TW player
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade