Author Topic: Steyr Aug, Law, and Grenades  (Read 8941 times)

Offline GAMEOVER

• Camper
Steyr Aug, Law, and Grenades
« on: May 31, 2012, 06:06:31 pm »
Steyr AUG- Go back to a 30 round magazine

Law- no wait time to shoot (you already have to kneel)

Grenades- This is the most unbalanced weapon in the game. If you hit someone dead on with a grenade they should be dead everytime.

Offline TheOne

• Soldier
Re: Steyr Aug, Law, and Grenades
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 02:44:53 am »
Specify which gamemode you are talking about.
Grenades not killing aren't a result of weapon balance but of bugs.

Offline Fujifabric

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Soldier
  • richter
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 11:59:18 am »
If we're talking normal mode then yes I'd also like no start up time for Law... half of the times it only boost enemies anyway (considering that in other games even being near the trajectory of a RPG kind of weapon is deadly enough). There's more range with the Law but the lengthy reload and the skill that it takes to hit a target from a distance (and having to crouch and all) it's already enough imo for it to have start up time, also more damage would be nice since the Law is a precision weapon but the damage it makes has to be effective or otherwise is useless. The long reload should stay since it what balances it at the end. I think it wouldn't have such a big impact changing this since if you already had enough time to shoot the Law then won't make a difference, but in spawn situations could be a good defense.

Offline GAMEOVER

• Camper
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 03:26:52 pm »
Specify which gamemode you are talking about.
Grenades not killing aren't a result of weapon balance but of bugs.

They need to fix the bugs then. Grenades have been fucked up for too long there shouldnt be any major bugs like that left in this game its been out for a very long time now and its came a long way but theres big time flaws. Im talking in regular normal mode btw.

Offline GAMEOVER

• Camper
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 03:27:45 pm »
If we're talking normal mode then yes I'd also like no start up time for Law... half of the times it only boost enemies anyway (considering that in other games even being near the trajectory of a RPG kind of weapon is deadly enough). There's more range with the Law but the lengthy reload and the skill that it takes to hit a target from a distance (and having to crouch and all) it's already enough imo for it to have start up time, also more damage would be nice since the Law is a precision weapon but the damage it makes has to be effective or otherwise is useless. The long reload should stay since it what balances it at the end. I think it wouldn't have such a big impact changing this since if you already had enough time to shoot the Law then won't make a difference, but in spawn situations could be a good defense.

I agree.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 07:43:10 pm »
Grenades not killing might partly be a balance issue actually.

[Grenade]
Damage=150000
FireInterval=80
Ammo=1
ReloadTime=20
Speed=50
BulletStyle=2
StartUpTime=0
Bink=0
MovementAcc=0
Recoil=0

That's exactly 100% hp, that is, if you hit the body or the legs. Hit the head and you won't die from the nade. If you reduce the grenade damage slightly, you can still kill if you hit the legs but not if you hit the body or head. It is as if the grenade is affected by an inverted hitbox modifier.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:48:25 pm by STM1993 »

Offline Fryer

• Camper
  • Game dev
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 05:44:04 pm »
That's exactly 100% hp, that is, if you hit the body or the legs. Hit the head and you won't die from the nade. If you reduce the grenade damage slightly, you can still kill if you hit the legs but not if you hit the body or head. It is as if the grenade is affected by an inverted hitbox modifier.
The "inverted hitbox modifier" you're mentioning is probably because of the way explosions deal damage. The position of the player is at the feet, which means the nade is "closer" to the player when you hit from below. While this makes gameplay a bit interesting in the way that you deal more damage from above when shooting, and from below when nading, my guess is that it wasn't meant to be this way. It would be nice with more input on the matter though, so I don't go fixing something that most players want to keep. :P
...PC vs Mac is like AK47 vs M4A1...
<DutchFlame`> i once heard running runescape in the background gave you a speedboost
<Mr> yes, it allocates more electrons, so there are more electrons available for Soldat -> they are streched less and it is more fluent

Soldat PolyWorks 1.5.0.13 - AimMode - Aim practise gamemode script - Fryer's SoldatStream Mod

Offline GAMEOVER

• Camper
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 06:06:03 pm »
The "inverted hitbox modifier" you're mentioning is probably because of the way explosions deal damage. The position of the player is at the feet, which means the nade is "closer" to the player when you hit from below. While this makes gameplay a bit interesting in the way that you deal more damage from above when shooting, and from below when nading, my guess is that it wasn't meant to be this way. It would be nice with more input on the matter though, so I don't go fixing something that most players want to keep. :P

Go ahead and change it for a version. Nades need to be fixed.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 07:15:01 pm »
Personally, I like the start-up time for LAW. LAW campers can be pretty annoying. Like M79 campers except worse - they get better range as well as a better gun to switch to, since LAW is a secondary. Start-up time is the only thing that prevents this being too effective because you get the opportunity to spot the camper in time and dodge the shot.
LAW is and should stay a heavy defensive/supportive weapon. It's all about picking the right place and the right time to catch your enemy in a bad spot and take him out with one good shot from a safe distance. When that happens - it really feels like it's been a skillful kill. Point'n'click is not this weapon's style IMHO.

I always thought grenades are supposed to one-shot an enemy no matter where you hit, and when an enemy miraculously survives a grenade - it has always seemed like a bug to me. It may be a fun game mechanic, but most people probably see it as a bug/eat rather than a game mechanic, so it's probably worth just increasing grenades' damage so the game makes more sense. I'd also suggest making grenades completely ignore the head hitbox.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 07:19:02 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Vucgy92

• Soldier
  • cyklon-b is the only way
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 08:06:13 am »
Steyr AUG- Go back to a 30 round magazine
No... 25 is okay.
Law- no wait time to shoot (you already have to kneel)
No wait time is low so it isn't annoying and also a prevent of roll and shot the law in your knees"

Grenades- This is the most unbalanced weapon in the game. If you hit someone dead on with a grenade they should be dead everytime.
Hm... Yes this is good. I hate when someone hits me(100 hp) and kills instant with grenade and when I throw at the enemy he survives ...
Choose one,
Bonecrusher

Offline GAMEOVER

• Camper
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 03:33:12 pm »

Hm... Yes this is good. I hate when someone hits me(100 hp) and kills instant with grenade and when I throw at the enemy he survives ...

Them throwing nades at me and killing me and me not killing them with nades happens all the time. shitty game play, nades need to be tweaked.

Offline Zero Static

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 12:37:09 am »
The nades hitting feet for more damage than the head is an integral part of the gameplay, and simply must not be changed if any semblance of Soldat's fast paced action is to be kept.

It is the perfect deterrent to people hovering on the roof and spraying. Remove nade kills on feet, and you've effectively slowed the game to a crawl, and ruined most of the competitive game play.

Offline Fryer

• Camper
  • Game dev
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 02:41:04 am »
The nades hitting feet for more damage than the head is an integral part of the gameplay, and simply must not be changed if any semblance of Soldat's fast paced action is to be kept.

It is the perfect deterrent to people hovering on the roof and spraying. Remove nade kills on feet, and you've effectively slowed the game to a crawl, and ruined most of the competitive game play.
I obviously wasn't meaning to make nades weaker, just wondering if making them kill from above too would be a good idea. :P
<DutchFlame`> i once heard running runescape in the background gave you a speedboost
<Mr> yes, it allocates more electrons, so there are more electrons available for Soldat -> they are streched less and it is more fluent

Soldat PolyWorks 1.5.0.13 - AimMode - Aim practise gamemode script - Fryer's SoldatStream Mod

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 12:05:24 pm »
1. You can't simply "fix" grenades not killing everytime. It is a result of the way client-server networking works in Soldat. Would require complete redesign and rewrite of big part of the codebase. I really doubt this is going to be fixed ever.

2. I don't see how increasing AUG ammo to 30 would improve anything. At best, it would only make it more alike to other autos and thus even more flexible than it is already.

3. LAW startup time should indeed be removed! The secondary balance is completely off because of this - LAW has been underused ever since it got the delay(although it's not the only reason, especially when knife didn't have the delay)

Not entirely so. Soldat used to be far faster in the past, back when deagles killed with two shots, barrett or knife/LAW had no delay etc. Nades are completely overused when compared to main+secondary weapons, to such extent that combat is more about hitting your nades than hitting your bulles.

kthxbai
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 12:07:55 pm by Clawbug »
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Fryer

• Camper
  • Game dev
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 01:25:31 pm »
1. You can't simply "fix" grenades not killing everytime. It is a result of the way client-server networking works in Soldat. Would require complete redesign and rewrite of big part of the codebase. I really doubt this is going to be fixed ever.
I wouldn't be too sure. Some solution for it may be implemented sometime this year, if things work out well enough... Do they ever? :/

Offline some idiot with a gun

• Major(1)
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 03:35:52 pm »
no.no.no.no.no.no.

Do not get rid of the start up time for the LAW (by start up time I hope you mean the time it takes for it to fire when its loaded and you're crouching)
mainly because you have those milliseconds to "aim" the LAW in the general area of the enemy and hope for the best. If you were to get rid of said start up I would be missing half the time as I am always thinking where the enemy is going to go to next and how long it'll all take until the bullet hits the enemy, removing it would ruin it for myself and all those people who know how to correctly use the LAW
You see that idiot running around with a M79? Yeah thats probably me..

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 03:38:16 pm »
no.no.no.no.no.no.

Do not get rid of the start up time for the LAW (by start up time I hope you mean the time it takes for it to fire when its loaded and you're crouching)
mainly because you have those milliseconds to "aim" the LAW in the general area of the enemy and hope for the best. If you were to get rid of said start up I would be missing half the time as I am always thinking where the enemy is going to go to next and how long it'll all take until the bullet hits the enemy, removing it would ruin it for myself and all those people who know how to correctly use the LAW

And you can't wait a split second before you shoot? You easily have enough time when you crouch anyway. Besides, there was no such problem with Barrett or LAW before they had a delay. You know, in the past they shot instantly and it was fine.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Vucgy92

• Soldier
  • cyklon-b is the only way
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 04:16:21 pm »
no.no.no.no.no.no.

EXACTLY THE LAW START-UP IS A GIFT NOT A PROBLEM.
Choose one,
Bonecrusher

13th_account

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2012, 05:22:14 pm »
no.no.no.no.no.no.

It wouldn't matter for your accuracy if the startup was there or not. Currently you're doing your aiming just before the LAW fires, without the startup you'd still be doing your aiming just before it fired. It's just a matter of habit. Nevertheless, in the current situation it seems unlikely that the startup would disappear completely anytime soon as the LAW already has its fair share of kills, and is the only secondary weapon that's close to being balanced.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2012, 06:57:44 pm »
EXACTLY THE LAW START-UP IS A GIFT NOT A PROBLEM.

hahahahaha what