Author Topic: Devlog update (2012-12-10) Finishing touches  (Read 16876 times)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Re: Devlog update (2012-12-10) Finishing touches
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2012, 10:55:23 pm »
i would say that soldat is the life of some players
I'm not usually the one to say it but: It's their problem. If they chose to get so attached to a single feature in a video game - they should also be aware and ready to accept the fact that nothing is set in stone and is subject to change.
If they'd said they don't like the change because it makes overall gameplay worse - I'd understand. But quitting the game just because they don't like the change? I can only say I won't miss them.

Offline BukkaS

• Major(1)
  • KO in the heart...Son of an Bukkas!
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2012, 06:48:20 pm »
Give me a good valid reason why the knife needs a change? You dont read well if you havent noticed us saying that it would definitely affect the gameplay. Since noone knows a good reason of why it NEEDS to be changed,why then ? If it really needs to be done,could it be done after this big patch,not in this specific one...
Soldat is an awesome game,KO is the best mode :)

Offline Adam

• Camper
  • When someone you argue with has a good point.
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2012, 06:56:51 pm »
Give me a good valid reason why the knife needs a change? You dont read well if you havent noticed us saying that it would definitely affect the gameplay. Since noone knows a good reason of why it NEEDS to be changed,why then ? If it really needs to be done,could it be done after this big patch,not in this specific one...
uhmm wait till open beta then judge?

Arguing with your girlfriend and you don't get a response for a few minutes

Offline Mighty

• Camper
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2012, 05:26:30 am »
uhmm wait till open beta then judge?

Question != Judgement
xFire: macmil        e-mail: macekmil@gmail.com
My scripts: Accuracy Script       Flashbang       Punishments GUID
            CatchMe Gamemod       AntiFake
            CW System             AntiFakeGUID

Offline 14th_account

• Soldier
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2012, 07:03:37 am »
It's a bit of an argument from personal incredulity though to state that the knife doesn't need to be changed because he can't see why.

Short reason for the change: It's being re-balanced to be a better offensive weapon and worse as a defensive weapon.

Offline Vos

• Soldier
    • http://kosoldat.forumer.com/index.php
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2012, 03:21:57 pm »
I'm wondering if starting any petition for people that disagree with the knife modification would help, just for the sake of our little community ;)

Kind of hoping any developer responds especially Shoozza
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline Denacke

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Soldier
  • Cake!
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2012, 04:20:05 pm »
I'm a bit disappointed in all the conservative comments this thread has been getting. These devs are improving soldat and testing some changes.

Instead of threatening to quit we should be encouraging this behavior! This is how we get forward instead of standing in place. (which for soldat means going backwards compared to other indie games out there!)

You have to keep in mind that the changes they are testing are not final. It will be up to us all to test them and give feedback. Feedback can only be given when either properly tested or if you give sufficient arguments to base your assumptions on. Threatening to leave helps nobody at all and gives a really bad vibe towards the devs that are working so hard to give us a new version.

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2012, 06:15:25 pm »
I'm a bit disappointed in all the conservative comments this thread has been getting. These devs are improving soldat and testing some changes.

Instead of threatening to quit we should be encouraging this behavior! This is how we get forward instead of standing in place. (which for soldat means going backwards compared to other indie games out there!)

You have to keep in mind that the changes they are testing are not final. It will be up to us all to test them and give feedback. Feedback can only be given when either properly tested or if you give sufficient arguments to base your assumptions on. Threatening to leave helps nobody at all and gives a really bad vibe towards the devs that are working so hard to give us a new version.

denacke ftw!
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline ljpiano

• Major(1)
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2012, 05:21:31 pm »
Guys just make it an option, to enable or disable in servers. You might play realistic, non realistic, survive mode, dm etc... Instead of making that knife thingy a unique feature, make it a possibility, so you may activate it or not.

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2012, 10:18:30 pm »
Guys just make it an option, to enable or disable in servers. You might play realistic, non realistic, survive mode, dm etc... Instead of making that knife thingy a unique feature, make it a possibility, so you may activate it or not.
While options sound good they really aren't most of the time.

Let me show you why:
Each option introduces another part which needs testing
Each option introduces more code which can contain bugs
Each option requires time to update when things change
Each option requires you to check if the server has it enabled (waste your time you could already play)

It's better to pick the right thing (if that only would be easy...)
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Vos

• Soldier
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2012, 11:14:51 am »

While options sound good they really aren't most of the time.

Let me show you why:
Each option introduces another part which needs testing
Each option introduces more code which can contain bugs
Each option requires time to update when things change
Each option requires you to check if the server has it enabled (waste your time you could already play)

It's better to pick the right thing (if that only would be easy...)

So judging from 3 of the 4 points u stated, you might aswell say that not updating or creating something new is the right thing to do?
Isn't it kind of obvious that new updates would need time and testing and whatsoever? So a at first pointless update for me (knife change) needs testing & time but an extra modification to the change (the option to turn it on or off) is pointless because it would take time and testing and might have even more bugs? Yeah that's the spirit!
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2012, 12:26:39 pm »
I love back seat developers. Let Shoozza do his job. He's the best with it.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline iAmBullet

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
  • War doesn't determine who's right, but who's left
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2012, 12:29:16 pm »
To the entity of the Knifing Community lurking in these forums:
What's wrong with just giving the new knife a try? I know that the current knife is the one that you've all been playing with for years but sometimes a gamemode needs a well-deserved change. It's kinda unfair that all other weapons have had modifications (some had several) over the past versions but knife never has never gotten one. Try something new for once and if you want to quit because of this small change go ahead, but you all won't quit because you've played Soldat for so many years and such a little change won't make a difference! It's not in human nature to respond to change positively, but just give it a try. If you look at it from a larger scale, you'd see that it's a small change to a small game that really won't affect gameplay much. Hell, it might end up benefitting gameplay more. Changes always take time to get adjusted to so don't shoot this out of the sky like America did to Japan in World War I.
lul
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 12:38:58 pm by iAmBullet »

Offline Vos

• Soldier
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2012, 07:15:13 pm »
I agree to you iambullet about the fact that most of us havent tried the actual knife change yet, but we do have people in the community that are beta users and from their explanations and opinions we're judging already.

I think anyone would be open to changes, as long as they are nessecary... i guess... but this seems to most of us a very unnessecary modficication which requires us to relearn to use the only weapon we have, which is a pretty hard slap in the face no matter how big the modification is.

And people from this specific community tend to quit allot quicker because of our small community that has been trying to stay alive now and then. so our moral is basically just a tad lower as any regular player i guess.

but after all we'll see what happens once the beta is released to us all.

Offline iAmBullet

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
  • War doesn't determine who's right, but who's left
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2012, 02:20:56 am »
Well I'm glad to know that you're open to see how this change turns out and in my opinion, that's all that the devs are asking for. It's recognizable that the knife does have sentimental value to the KO community, however I'm pretty sure a LOT of testing is going to be done for the knife to be enjoyed by the majority of Soldat. After all, these changes are being made to benefit Soldat as a WHOLE, not just single communities!
Also a quick question for you:
What's wrong with having to re-learn the knife? I mean sure you could look at it from the perspective that all the years that you've put into this weapon has gone to waste but it really hasn't.
If you look at the statistics (feel free to disagree), wouldn't you say that KO is more or less:
-30% Movement
-20% Strategy
-20% Teamwork
-30% Aim
However, with the upcoming knife change, the only thing that you have to relearn is your aim. You still preserve 70% of the things that you've learned. It's not so much as remastering rather than relearning.
If you follow through till the end, who knows? Maybe you'll end up as a better player than before.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 02:33:07 am by iAmBullet »

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2012, 03:46:05 am »
if i was in KO community i'd be rather excited and since the only weapon you guys use is knife, the change is fair to everyone.
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline TheOne

• Soldier
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2012, 04:00:46 am »
I haven't experienced the modified knife myself. I'm willing to try out in the next version, but I fear that if the change will stay then many tricks won't really be possible anymore. It's not only about relearning. In TTW, the knife is pretty important as well. I use to jump off the roof of a bunker, backflip when falling and throw a knife through the window. Or throw a knife far behind me when breaching to hit a spawning enemy exiting the bunker to run after me.

Let's wait and see.

Offline Mighty

• Camper
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2012, 04:24:49 am »
if i was in KO community i'd be rather excited and since the only weapon you guys use is knife, the change is fair to everyone.
Well, just wanted to say that since you haven't been in KO community, you can have no idea whether you'd be excited or not.

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2012, 04:30:22 am »
Well, just wanted to say that since you haven't been in KO community, you can have no idea whether you'd be excited or not.

i play with several specific weapons and i would have no problem with them being changed in their gameplay mechanism
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline Mighty

• Camper
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2012, 04:36:10 am »
have you played for 5 years with one and only one weapon that got a critical change after? I highly doubt that.
I also wouldn't have any problem with it if the knife was playable, but it's not. That's why I'm fighting so hard and waiting for a fix.