Author Topic: Cursor feature/Map  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Adam

• Camper
  • When someone you argue with has a good point.
Cursor feature/Map
« on: May 07, 2013, 02:47:52 pm »
Having a feature which you can enable/disable to have different cursors for weapons and secondaries, also a feature which allows you to move where the map is located ingame.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 03:02:03 pm by Adam »

Arguing with your girlfriend and you don't get a response for a few minutes

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Re: Cursor feature/Map
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 04:02:21 pm »
Different cursors for different weapons could potentially be abused by people making cursors that show bullet drop for each weapon. I don't think this is really needed since it would be just a minor cosmetic feature, customizing one crosshair for all guns is good enough.

Not sure what your "map" suggestion is though. You should've created a separate thread for it and explained it better. :/

Offline Adam

• Camper
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 04:27:04 pm »
Different cursors for different weapons could potentially be abused by people making cursors that show bullet drop for each weapon. I don't think this is really needed since it would be just a minor cosmetic feature, customizing one crosshair for all guns is good enough.

Not sure what your "map" suggestion is though. You should've created a separate thread for it and explained it better. :/
cosmetic feature? how is using different cursors that aim better for that weapon a cosmetic feature?

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 06:31:24 pm »
Different cursors for different weapons could potentially be abused

I really really wouldn't see it as an abusive modification. Perhaps it would make your aiming just a tiny bit easier but it doesn't affect other players' game in any way. Whatever super useless idea anyway and definitely not worth it.

also a feature which allows you to move where the map is located ingame.

MiniMap_Pos_X/Y @ soldat.ini

Offline Adam

• Camper
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 06:59:47 pm »

I really really wouldn't see it as an abusive modification. Perhaps it would make your aiming just a tiny bit easier but it doesn't affect other players' game in any way. Whatever super useless idea anyway and definitely not worth it.

super useless? soldat needs all the ideas it can get whether adding one pixel to grenades or fixing netcode with how outdated and broken it is.
PS: i doubt it would take a long time to implement anyways

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 07:21:39 pm »
Ok so I read the title and I think Soldat has a cursor feature and a map - but srsly it wouldn't hurt if the topic was less vague.

super useless? soldat needs all the ideas it can get whether adding one pixel to grenades or fixing netcode with how outdated and broken it is.
PS: i doubt it would take a long time to implement anyways

In Soldat everything takes long to implement because you have to take the hours of bugfixing and debugging into account each feature requires (and also the refactoring :)

I would say the feature has not that much of an impact on the overall game experience. Sure it would be nice to have but it doesn't hurt if it's missing.
So I would say this is pretty much low priority.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 07:42:49 pm »

cosmetic feature? how is using different cursors that aim better for that weapon a cosmetic feature?
Well aside from that it is mostly a cosmetic feature. Unless it's clearly made for abuse, it won't make much difference and therefore it's safer to not have it at all.

In Soldat everything takes long to implement because you have to take the hours of bugfixing and debugging into account each feature requires (and also the refactoring :) )
How come? Is Soldat's code really that messy even after all the work your team has done so far? :S

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 12:32:02 am »
I would be so happy if it was already cleaned up.
It's better than it was in the beginning though.

Once the next version is out the refactoring will continue. There is still a lot of stuff we need to improve ;)

But that's somehow off topic now.

About the abuse of this visual feature: Mods could be also seen as "made for abuse". Red nades etc. can give you quite an advantage.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 01:29:22 am »
About the abuse of this visual feature: Mods could be also seen as "made for abuse". Red nades etc. can give you quite an advantage.
Yeah, that's why I'm saying we shouldn't make it even worse. :P

Maybe at some point an optional server-side feature could be added to force default graphics for certain objects, which should partially solve the problem of abusive mods for both nades, crosshairs, and other graphics. Although there's still the problem of features being hard to add, so either way this'll have to wait. :/
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:35:22 am by L[0ne]R »

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 10:13:46 am »
super useless idea
Soldat Aim-Lag was super useless.
As much useless as the hotkeys in the Esc Menu.
To be honest most things ppl. talk about to add to Soldat are super useless.

Also I am always wondering what is wrong about the code... I don´t have much coding experience but I know some basics, so I can´t understand how that´s actually possible.
How long does it take to change the buttons background color in the GUI ? If that takes longer than 5 seconds I´m really sorry that you have to deal with this code.
Good Luck with fixing the Flag Bug : )
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 12:01:18 pm »
To be honest most things ppl. talk about to add to Soldat are super useless.

Sarcasm or not that's indeed mostly true.

I see aiming in Soldat as an intuitive action and aiming by actually looking at the cursor sounds weird to me. Adding this to the fact that you can't possibly have a crosshair that would actually show where the bullet is about to go regardless of the direction or your current speed. As an eyecandy perhaps but then again that's pretty subjective.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 12:25:34 pm »
Having a feature which you can enable/disable to have different cursors for weapons and secondaries,

Either you practice and know where you're aiming or you do not and just go back to bot matches. Aiming in Soldat is all about prediction, and the cursor is only an indication to where your bullet will fly. Learn it or die trying. If I misunderstood what kind of cursor feature you want implemented, that is only because of your vague description. Maybe you should elaborate what you want instead of what you present as so important? If you actually want to contribute something, try to find features that have substance, because this whole discussion evolved around a void.

Offline Adam

• Camper
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 02:26:04 pm »
Having a feature which you can enable/disable to have different cursors for weapons and secondaries,

Either you practice and know where you're aiming or you do not and just go back to bot matches. Aiming in Soldat is all about prediction, and the cursor is only an indication to where your bullet will fly. Learn it or die trying. If I misunderstood what kind of cursor feature you want implemented, that is only because of your vague description. Maybe you should elaborate what you want instead of what you present as so important? If you actually want to contribute something, try to find features that have substance, because this whole discussion evolved around a void.
features that have substance? any feature for soldat would be a substance since it's enhancing gameplay

DarkCrusade

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 04:19:05 pm »
Touch your working desk. Now wave your hand through the air. Congratulations: you just learned to differentiate between features that are solid and the one you suggested. But well.. maybe I have a barrier in my mind that prevents me from understanding your concept of enhancing Soldat's gameplay by making the cursor for different weapons look different, but I bet that an intellectual like you can break through this barrage and elaborate your idea so someone as mentally limited as me can understand your genuine and fancy suggestion.

Offline Vucgy92

• Soldier
  • cyklon-b is the only way
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 04:26:28 pm »
This is a pretty useless idea. I don't like it
Choose one,
Bonecrusher

Offline Adam

• Camper
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 05:49:37 pm »
Touch your working desk. Now wave your hand through the air. Congratulations: you just learned to differentiate between features that are solid and the one you suggested. But well.. maybe I have a barrier in my mind that prevents me from understanding your concept of enhancing Soldat's gameplay by making the cursor for different weapons look different, but I bet that an intellectual like you can break through this barrage and elaborate your idea so someone as mentally limited as me can understand your genuine and fancy suggestion.
tl;dr anything that helps your aim/gives soldat a unique option is a feature which enhances gameplay

DarkCrusade

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 01:22:14 pm »
Your elaboration lacks elaboration. I hope there is no Eve to your Adam..