Author Topic: ctf_Viet Remake Problem  (Read 4042 times)

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
ctf_Viet Remake Problem
« on: December 11, 2013, 05:40:16 am »
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 04:20:44 am by Akinaro »

Offline stachuATX7

• Major(1)
Re: ctf_Viet Remake Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 02:04:08 pm »
Dudee... this viet is f****** epic!!!! :OO

Offline Adam

• Camper
  • When someone you argue with has a good point.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 03:00:59 pm »
nice map

Arguing with your girlfriend and you don't get a response for a few minutes

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 04:33:29 pm »
Looks sweet overall, but those cave textures are a bit odd though.

Im chill like that

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 08:53:53 pm »
the screen is really impressive, a ceiling get really out of theme, maybe a layer of smoke? there could be one big bonfire on each size...
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline Majoman

• Major(1)
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 09:40:16 am »
yep, they look to sharp/detailed compared to map, but i was going to add some detail polygons(no collider mode) here and there, or make detailed background made by polygons and then put it as a gfx...
In terms of making few background for caves, its not a problem, 2-3h and I can make few to chose.

But for now I have no idea what to do with ceiling... It wouldn't be too big change for gameplay if it would be open?
It wouldn't as you can only fly as high as the jets let you. And on Viet it's about where the current ceiling is, so it doesn't rly matter whether it's in there or not.

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 03:50:03 pm »
Didn't you like the bonfire + smoke idea?
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 03:53:24 am »
I really don't like the amount of trees in the re-make tbh. make's it way to distracting D:
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 03:22:14 pm »
looks really nice :) hope one day soldat will make it playable!

Akinaro you do realize Crysis is developed by a company that employs over 700 people and has offices worldwide right? xD
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 10:50:18 pm »
Easy to say 'remove the lags', but it'll take lots of time to do so. The game is ancient and unoptimized, so don't expect your map to run well for a long time.

If you want your map to be playable now - you need to optimize your map for the game, not expect the game to be optimized for your map. I understand that you don't want to limit your artistic vision with such things as "polygon count" or "file size", but that's how it works in the game world.
I'm sure even developers of Crysis had to do lots of optimisations in their engine, levels, models and everything else to make the game look as good as it does and still run at least on lowest settings.

-----

on-topic: The map looks very good overall, though I do agree that some of the cave backgrounds look a bit odd - I think it's because there's too much color and detail in them so they don't really look like background. Try reducing the contrast on them a bit. Also I do agree that background trees (and other objects) should be a bit more transparent so they don't look like they're in foreground. I know you'll probably say they're easy to tell apart, but that's because you made the map and you've been mostly looking at it through a map editor. In the actual game it's important to distinguish background from foreground quickly, without even looking directly at the sceneries. So I suggest you make background objects at least 20% more transparent, if not more.

Although like I said, you really need to optimize it otherwise all those small changes and improvements won't matter anyway. It's a good remake and I'd love to see it included in default map pack, but unless the map is better optimized - I doubt anybody will play it at all.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 10:52:53 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 10:35:52 am »
Akinaro fixing fps issues and laggs has high priority, but it will take some time. The plan is to upgrade directX, and also to clean up render code.