Author Topic: Ideas for Soldat Menu  (Read 11858 times)

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
Ideas for Soldat Menu
« on: March 05, 2014, 06:38:03 am »
I know that there is few Topic about Suggestions of Look for Soldat, but I thought It would be good if more people could show their ideas of how Soldat might look like.

And maybe more and more people could show their ideas here, so if you have time and even some basic graphic skills, it would be good if you post it here too. All that graphic took me maybe 4h so its nothing hard.

New version below
12th post

Ok. Now lets focus on graphic...
I didnt Prepared Anything HD-Ultra-Candy-Full Color images, because I don't think that Soldat need too much work on menu look.

I like Colors of main windows and simplicity of his blocky Buttons, so User focus on what he really need.
Also I didn't play with overall structure of menus, so you don't find anything amazing, its more like how soldat might look like, with only small work of changing some menus, putting Settings in main window and adding few options like Avatar of user profile and build in Tount Editor.

I didn't change Start Game and Join Game, because I didn't find anything wrong with it, and beside you don't change something that work, so I focused on Home Window and Options.

Lets start with Home Menu.
I think It would be cool to add Avatar like list of user profiles, and move some text at the bottom of window.

Next. Player Menu, Here I changed most. Added some menus and put some stuff from options so its more like place where you manage your character.
I didnt create all windows so here some main changes:
  • Click on Avatar to choose image, you have option to choose your Gostek Image
  • In Graphic Mod, you can chose Mod, just like in mod launcher AND custom background for menus(if you don't like classic color)

And here is Build in Tount Editor. Its small window and its simple like hell(I took example from Selfkill editor)

Now Time to Options menu, Only think I did here is putting setting from Setup.exe
I know its not so easy to put it in main window, but it would be cool to have everything here, not in separate File.

And last Image, sample of one of advances button. Here is Particles Menu:

I know that making more and more samples like this doesn't help dev's but maybe if we gather more ideas it would give overall image what people like and what they would add in the future, so Dev's could have small "boost" to work on this game :]
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 02:18:58 pm by Akinaro »

Offline Zakumy

• Major(1)
  • Soldat! Soldat! Soldat!
Re: Sample ideas for Soldat Window
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 07:11:39 am »
I think your pop-up windows is very hard to implement.
But I think the Setting section at the moment should be redesign, for easier to use.
But good job at the concepts ;)
My love to Soldat is eternal, forever and always

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 07:17:40 am »
I just realize that wrote tounts not taunts..... [Facepalm]
I need to change it xD

EDIT:
Done
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 07:22:13 am by Akinaro »

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 07:49:00 am »
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 08:58:15 am »
I know, I checked most of this topic.
But I don't see anything wrong with current ones, its simple and fast, but its just need some new placing order and some small extras, like avatars for profiles and taunts editor.
And here I just showed my version :]

Offline ZdzichU

• Major
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 10:42:46 am »
Thats nice idea  8)

Offline Adam

• Camper
  • When someone you argue with has a good point.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 03:13:13 pm »
I'd prefer this Soldat Menu GUI in higher resolutions:(http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=39691.0)

The User Profile was actually a really nice idea. But, the Player Menu should be an implemented version of Anna's Gostek Viewer:
(http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=465.0)

your GUI was also nice and simple, but soldat needs a GUI enhancement that doesn't feel like were still in '06

Arguing with your girlfriend and you don't get a response for a few minutes

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 04:52:01 pm »
your GUI was also nice and simple, but soldat needs a GUI enhancement that doesn't feel like were still in '06
02 *  :'(
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 09:04:22 pm »
Now Time to Options menu, Only think I did here is putting setting from Setup.exe
I know its not so easy to put it in main window, but it would be cool to have everything here, not in separate File.

Problem here is that the main Soldat.exe uses DirectX to render, and Config.exe does not, and those options in config.exe are directx related and can determine whether soldat.exe works or not. afaik this is part of the reason why it's a separate tool.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 09:44:51 pm »
There are some nice ideas but generally i agree that this is still too complicated and ugly.

Options could be in soldat.exe in the future.
It would be nice if start and config are merged into soldat.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 07:43:34 am »
I love your idea! Currently the GUI is simple and as Shoozza said kind of ugly.
A mash up of your ideas with the design provided L[0ne]R & Anna's Gostek Viewer as Adam mentioned up there.

This would be a nice big change that Soldat needs. No more Config.exe. :P

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 03:18:55 am »
Of course I could make some HD 3D candy look, but my point was to stick to current Style, and give example of new placement for some of options.

Quote from: Adam
The User Profile was actually a really nice idea. But, the Player Menu should be an implemented version of Anna's Gostek Viewer

Thats why there would be option to select gostek image as a avatar.
And you could use any graphic as a background, if you dont like one-color background

Beside, as I said, I wanted to stick to current style and I know that its a bit old in terms of look, but what would be the point of putting HD-candy menu to still old-classic style action game?
 It would be like: wow! nice menu, and then you load server and see old ctf_ash or some weird climb map made from few polygons... that would be awkward...

But maybe I spend few h to make new one... just for fun.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:32:21 am by Akinaro »

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 09:37:03 am »
OK, so here is second version:

Something between old simple menu and new one.
I kept old buttons but now they are fitted in new background and menu style.

I'm working now on third version that would be based fully on new buttons, settings etc.

But for now, here is second samples:

Start Page

Home Page

Profile Page

Join Game

Game Options

Setting Page

PS If you have problems with big images here are links:
http://postimg.org/image/nm1rupbc5/
http://postimg.org/image/l5zygut9h/
http://postimg.org/image/95eig4lut/
http://postimg.org/image/l8ju3owx1/
http://postimg.org/image/6dzu39cpx/
http://postimg.org/image/x0cas8gx1/

Offline Adam

• Camper
  • When someone you argue with has a good point.
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 09:39:39 am »
I now prefer this over loner's GUI

Arguing with your girlfriend and you don't get a response for a few minutes

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 10:15:55 am »

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 10:18:27 am »
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:30:10 pm by Akinaro »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Re: Ideas for Soldat Menu
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 09:12:53 pm »

eeee... what?
WTF is this Dusty?

I think he's comparing your color scheme to that of windows classic high contrast #2 or whatever that's called, something intended for people who have a hard time discerning colors and need something ridiculous to use the computer.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 09:38:27 pm »
To save myself from being completely offtopic, I made a quick draft of how I've always seen the menu in the future versions in Soldat. Basically a simple structure (from pre-CS:GO/Dota2 Valve era), some neat but not too flashy background image(s) that suits the theme (this image was stolen fron deviantart from an artist whom I don't remember anymore), perhaps some background musics and that's it. Cbf to make any sub-menus but they could either use the free space at some point or then just work like in this video. I love the menu of P2.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 11:05:34 pm »
Nice ideas here. Personally, I'm thinking of something along old-school designs from games like Doom & Quake, where it was just a list of buttons in the center:

Soldat is "old-school" in many ways - from visuals to the weapon choices and game mechanics and modes. Also this kind of design is gamepad- and low-resolution-friendly, which Shoozza said it should be. That was a long time ago, so I don't know if he's still sticking to that rule.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 03:52:26 am »
change current color of soldat window to black and you get the same result. I dont see anything wrong using black background  and framed buttons ???

Beside, as I said: Making HD-candy like Menu for such game as soldat(old/classic/small) is a bit idiotic.
Ok, we gonna have HD "oh-ah" Menu and then you enter game and see old ctf_ash or climb map made from few polygons... awkward.
If you think that would be good, imagine crysis menu with 3d background and then play soldat: most idiotic idea ever.

We should stick to game style, not  on "what other game have".
  • Simple
  • No candy colors
  • static(not animated background etc)
  • good for window mode

And for god sake, no menu background music... Soldat is small action game, that probably most people play in window mode(i play in 1024x600 windowed) and spend in menu less than 1min.
It dont need massive menu. Keep it simple
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 03:57:35 am by Akinaro »