Author Topic: Extra sound! Request!  (Read 3346 times)

Offline Drax

• Soldier
Extra sound! Request!
« on: March 16, 2014, 09:48:08 pm »
Can we have extra sounds on command? that is my request... :)
anyone that would have a server would have a folder called extra_sounds with extra_sounds and with new command you would be able to play it, for yourself or to everyone(0) in game. We would be able to add soundtracks for our servers (yes I personally need that ;p) and sound for skills, and other things! Please do this! Please?? :)

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
Re: Extra sound! Request!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 05:17:38 pm »
You've pretty much described package system. That was a feature planned by EnEsCe, back in his version of soldat which got uh, lost. Yes, i'm also all for it but the problem is it requires a huge amount of work to implement.
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline Drax

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 11:15:40 pm »
can I count that it going to be part of 1.6.7 ?? dont tell me no!  :'( It would really improve soldat... for me it seems like nothing much, just 1 extra command, and folder with extra sounds, available to download on join server... maybe we will start donating for professional programmer who will do the job for us?? how about that? 

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 09:24:55 am »
For me you dont have even basic knowlendge, yet you claim it's easy and its "just one command and a folder" even tho Falcon already said it's a huge ammount of work. If you think its so easy, why don't you help the devs and code it for them? Or ask Akinaro to code it for you.

And I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you won't see it in the upcoming version unless this is the "extra project" that Shoozza was talking about.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 09:52:40 am »
Or ask Akinaro to code it for you.

Hard to decide: should I be mad or laugh because of that xD xD xD

To be honest I'm a bit tired of Drax questions and <cough> stupid<cough>  ideas, but I wouldn't like to scare people from this forum, that recently isn't crowded by new users and and fresh ideas :]
So still, one drax that occupies us for few minutes is better than totally empty forum :]

Beside probably I'm gonna leave this forum like rest of people(preordered xperia z2, so no money for internet bills xD ) so better keep Drax here if you like this forum :P :P

Like they say: "better sparrow in the hand than a pigeon on the roof"

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 01:05:53 pm »
maybe we will start donating for professional programmer who will do the job for us?? how about that?
We couldn't even donate enough to let someone code for 2 hours, also the current dev team is professional (professional is a stupid word in my opinion) , the case they are doing it for free doesnt mean that they are bad at it.

Also,
Isn't it possible to spread malware through those downloads ?
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Drax

• Soldier
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 03:10:00 pm »
for me it seems like nothing much, just 1 extra command, and folder with extra sounds, available to download on join server...

I think I expressed myself not the way I wanted to... I didn't mean: "hey its !@$#$ing nothing! why can't you just do this !@# you lazy !@#s ??
so no Viral I do not claim that it's easy, yes you are right I have no basic knowledge but you went too far with 
Or ask Akinaro to code it for you.
I would like to know why you say that? what is wrong with asking a lot of questions? I am bad at doing all these things, but mostly it's because I am new to all of it, and I ask questions because I want to learn faster... and I don't think if I ever asked Akinaro for help if I wouldn't need it, that's why Akinaro I don't know why would you say:
Hard to decide: should I be mad or laugh because of that xD xD xD
+ what you mean by that:
To be honest I'm a bit tired of Drax questions and <cough> stupid<cough>ideas,

can you quote my stupid ideas here?

the case they are doing it for free doesnt mean that they are bad at it.

well I never said that they are bad at it, I am pretty sure it's their lack of time, because if they do this for free and they like this game, why they wouldn't do it? So I just suggested to get someone who will have skills and time for it.
How much would we have to pay for 1h of such a guy and how many hours he would need?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:16:52 pm by Drax »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 04:51:36 pm »
what is wrong with asking a lot of questions? I am bad at doing all these things, but mostly it's because I am new to all of it, and I ask questions because I want to learn faster...
Learning is never fast and easy. It takes time and effort, and this is the harsh reality you have to accept. Asking lots of questions won't get you anywhere if you lack the basic problem-solving skills. As soon as we answer your questions - you'll just find more to ask, and this will go on and on until people give up on trying to help (especially when you're blatantly asking others to do the work for you). Even Akinaro is getting sick of you.

I think you should first work on your problem-solving skills before you try scripting and modding.

Or ask Dark Crusade for advice. He didn't know how to script a couple years ago, but then he decided to learn and did it mostly on his own, only occasionally asking questions and posting his scripts on the forum. Now he's learned to make some decent stuff without spamming up the forums. Maybe you should leran from him.

How much would we have to pay for 1h of such a guy and how many hours he would need?
I'm going to make some guesses here, but a programmer would probably need to be paid $15-20 per hour. An 8 hour shift will probably be enough to fix a few bugs and maybe introduce a very simple feature (and making sure it works). That's $120-$160 for just one 8-hour work day (or two 4-hour days).

Would like if someone with more knowledge can comment on how far off my guesses are.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:54:08 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Drax

• Soldier
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 04:56:22 pm »
As soon as we answer your questions - you'll just find more to ask,

because I will have another thing to learn??

especially when you're blatantly asking others to do the work for you

I ask only when I can't do it myself, I have no more ideas how to solve it...

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 05:13:46 pm »
The impression I got is that you can't do anything yourself. You're the first person on the forums I've seen who is so helpless and yet wants so much. Nobody's going to do your work for free, that includes making maps, scripts and sounds for you, or teaching you the entire programming course. If you want to learn something - you have to do it yourself or take classes in school or college.

We'll always point you in the direction of useful guides and tutorials, give you feedback and help you fix problems in something that you've already made. Like if you're making a script or a mod and something isn't working - we'll help you find the problem and fix it. But that's as much "free service" as we can provide. We won't teach you or make something for you from scratch.

If you find learning too difficult - then you should start with something simpler.

Anyway, on-topic:
You've pretty much described package system. That was a feature planned by EnEsCe, back in his version of soldat which got uh, lost. Yes, i'm also all for it but the problem is it requires a huge amount of work to implement.

Pretty sure the ability to play existing (default) sounds on command was also suggested. What are the chances of that being implemented? I remember EnEsCe made it possible to display some of the graphics on-screen as part of the interface (in the build that got "lost").
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:35:44 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 05:46:01 pm »
It's already implemented. But obviously not documented as far as i can see. As for the old World/Interface Text/Image functions, they seem to be gone.
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline Drax

• Soldier
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 11:14:29 pm »
The impression I got is that you can't do anything yourself.

not true...

You're the first person on the forums I've seen who is so helpless and yet wants so much.

one day I will pay back my debts...

Nobody's going to do your work for free, that includes making maps, scripts and sounds for you, or teaching you the entire programming course.

lol if you don't want to help for free say it, devs want soldat totally free but you say help on forum has a limit and cost? are you talking about money here? , I didn't push Akinaro to do my map... he said maybe he will do it... anyway it's going to be for everyone not just for me...

this is from my other topic:
So was the time wasted/not used or like you say people have to work for free, if that is the trouble why developerdevelopers
don't want to encourage people to buy registration or donation on their backbank account (for registration, if they are the owners now) to help them financially. What is wrong with that?
yet I would get this from Mittsu:
i see no benefit for the game from making everything require registration. You're also assuming that current game developers get money from registrations, and I'm not sure about that. There was a discussion about it in the past, and as far as i remember, they don't.
how he got his idea about me saing: Devs get money? wtf?! I never said that...

L[One]R I think your criticism is in some parts, false, harsh and unnecessary...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:37:56 am by Drax »

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 03:23:05 am »
I thing this topic gonna give me few min of fun to read...keep going!

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 06:15:35 am »
I think I expressed myself not the way I wanted to... I didn't mean: "hey its !@$#$ing nothing! why can't you just do this !@# you lazy !@#s ??
so no Viral I do not claim that it's easy, yes you are right I have no basic knowledge but you went too far with
You said it's nothing much ignoring the fact that Falcon, the soldat developer, wrote it's a lot of work. What's the logic behind your post saying it's nothing much, when you don't have the knowledge nor experience to state this opinion? I didn't say you were harsh or mean, but more of a ignorant. You got a straight answer from someone competent and you basically ignored it.

About your last post.
Believe me or not, but there is a buch of people willing to help. I saw you struggling with a map, but how can we halp you with your first one? How can we teach you to shade polygons? The answer would be: "hit D and hold your LMB". It's all in the tutorial, and after you learn the basic theory you can move on. You have to learn from mistakes, check some other's mappers polystructure, the way they use sceneries to achieve given effects, etc. The very first map i have posted was total crap, yet i found a lot of people willing to show me the mistakes that i could easly avoid, they shared their experience about the layouts/scenery usage/gameplay and thanks to them I knew what i should work on before releasing another one, still working on the other things. If you want people to help you, they need something to help you with in the first place.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 11:21:02 am »
The very first map i have posted was total crap
D:

link?

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 12:06:00 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 12:09:08 pm by Akinaro »

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 12:24:30 pm »
This one is on Rzal climb (2008-05-14) xB:

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 12:32:37 pm »
eeee its climb map... more than 60% of map looks like that xD

Even my first climb map sucks, even in terms of "climbing", its more like speed map:

ctf/dm always are more important :]

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 12:40:40 pm »
What's the difference - I couldn't do any better than that anyway xB But climb maps are a good way to start - the layout isn't that important and making them helps to learn how to place polies to make everything as smooth and bugfree as possible.

Offline Drax

• Soldier
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 03:52:18 pm »
Viral I will ignore your flaming posts..