Author Topic: ctf_ProGamersOnly  (Read 2724 times)

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
ctf_ProGamersOnly
« on: April 11, 2014, 07:18:00 am »
I'm making a new map and I wonder what do you think about this concept:
Main golas:
-fastpeaced/tactical gameplay
-small (3v3 max) map
-route switching
-close combat
Pics below (orange - running routes, yellow - flag throwing)

Suggestions?

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
Re: ctf_ProGamersOnly
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 07:34:28 am »
name too long it wont work ;p

Im chill like that

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 07:44:00 am »
I like that the variety of angles you can use to grab or cap the flag. Should make for a pretty fun map to play for competitive CTF.

Once your map is ready, I offer you to check and fix any potential remaining poly bug.

Also since this map looks suited for 3v3 CTF, it might have a chance to be adopted by CTF leagues.
I think you have a good base. Best way to get ideas would be to make a prototype and get sctfl players to try it and give feedback. So you can fine tune it.

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 08:16:02 am »
The name might change I'm not sure yet tho xB
It's quite buggy atm, that's why i didnt release anything yet. I want to finish the layout today/tomorrow and probably add a rar for some testing.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 08:43:45 am »
The name might change I'm not sure yet tho xB
It's quite buggy atm, that's why i didnt release anything yet. I want to finish the layout today/tomorrow and probably add a rar for some testing.
Yeah you're gonna need several layers of polygons:

- 'doesn't collide' poly for the styling with the overlap/messy style
- normal poly with opacity set to 0 for the physics.

General polybug Tips:

- curves that are only meant to be run in one way => overlapping poly with poly number ordering in diminishing order.
- curves that are ran both ways => one poly per face, no overlap.
In both cases: use thick poly

Oh and don't use too much complexion for the layout shape: This is not climbing, CTF players aren't as precise as climbers in their trajectories and tend to prefer easy layouts.

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 10:00:02 am »
Top route is basically a kickjump, middle route is jump>cb and bottom is like 3 normal jumps. I'd say its harded to play it climbing skills than playing "normally" because of the facts its quite narrow in some points and it can ba quite difficult to fit in wiht a CB for example. The bottom route for example is very fast if you can get everything perfectly, but it gets way slower if you lose your flow. I'd call it risk-reward'ish.

I deleted every polybug i could find, using the metods you mentioned. The worst part was the curve near the flags, because i had to make bounce-free both way and i had to use overlapping to prevent people from getting stuck between them (it took me more time than making this map xD). I think I'm quite happy with the result.

I'll try to keep it light and simple, maybe add some ropes here and there and a bit of grass + colliders. This is how it looks atm:

Just by looking on the picture - any ideas for colliders placement?

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 10:41:36 am »
For colliders placement I'm no expert. I do know tho that in competitive CTF, players nade boost a lot. If you need advice for cool nade boost collider placement mtk is your man. I think he idles in the map channel usually.

Oh and I dig the style. You always find so nice background colors. It looks so right. And these little translucent overlapping borders are brilliant. Love it. People like Akarino should just watch and learn. A nice looking map is not about HD but about taste.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 11:37:05 am »
People like Akarino should just watch and learn. A nice looking map is not about HD but about taste.

So move your rear part of body and make your own maps.

Everyone can complain, none of you for past few year didn't do anything about look of map.
You like this one? Good. But more than half of people that play want new, fresh look. No some small colors changes on old maps.
I'm not "professional" map maker, I made them for fun so if you are so badass in this departament be my guest and show something better.
No one force to play my remakes. You dont like my "taste" Ok, This HD naming was more for taking your attention to start working on real remakes but it seems that except loots of talk and remembering old times most of you didnt do anything. So stop complaining about my taste and do something by yourself.

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 12:56:57 pm »
Ok, there it is - still no colliders but it would be cool if you could test it ingame:

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 01:04:20 pm »
There is more to it than just "small color changes" when we're talking about Viral's maps. But w/e.

Nothing wrong with you making remakes. And nothing wrong with me having an opinion about your work.
I'm under the impression you have some trouble handling other's opinions. That's a shame.
I hope you'll continue mapping and you'll learn not to take every opinions and critics with a defensive stance.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 01:09:29 pm »
ctf_rugged
rugged: (of ground or terrain) having a broken, rocky, and uneven surface.

Nice naming. Fits the map perfectly.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 01:37:06 pm »
I'm under the impression you have some trouble handling other's opinions. That's a shame.
I hope you'll continue mapping and you'll learn not to take every opinions and critics with a defensive stance.

Its not my fault that you and few other users have problem to post normally without a bit offensive comments about other person. Other people here doesn't have that problem, if they need to criticize my work they just do it with posting info where I make mistake, how I should fix it etc.

If you have something against my maps, why you didnt post it there? better to add small comment in different topic making mentions about my maps?
I checked forum back to 2008 and I found only one your map(climb) you have so much time commenting maps so why you don't make your version of remakes? loots of talk so small real work...

I wouldn't take it so defensive if you would mention in such lame way my person, because if you have something to say about my map be my guest and help me improving them, because for now you just post this comment here without actually saying anything about my maps... really nice way!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 01:39:07 pm by Akinaro »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 03:34:46 pm »
Its not my fault that you and few other users have problem to post normally without a bit offensive comments about other person.
No, you just get extremely butthurt real easy. It is your fault, and I'm sure I'm not the only one around here who would agree. Even if someone says something that you find mean or offensive - grow some balls and take it like a man already. Stop bitching about every little negative thing said about you or your work.

Your maps do look amazing and very HD.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 03:53:38 pm »
@jrgp (I know you have not replied to this thread yet, but I know you're lurking somewhere in the shadows): This is exactly what I meant with my last statement. I did not expect a wonder cure and I do not believe that there will be one.

It is a real shame that you people derive this thread so much.

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 08:25:58 am »