Author Topic: "Networktest" parameter  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Szaman

• Soldier
"Networktest" parameter
« on: April 20, 2014, 03:02:56 am »
Hi,

As HomerOfGods asked me to create suggestion thread here:

Some people have problems with starting their own server (http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=43165.0).

I suggest to create a parameter (like "--networktest") that is not really starting the game server, but opens ports, connects to lobby, ASE, etc. And then lobby tries to connect to the game port, admin port, etc. And the detailed log from that test is shown on the console (+ written to a file) [the lobby response - if available - should be also included in this log].

This would help a lot of people :)

What do you think about it?

Best regards,
Szaman.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
Re: "Networktest" parameter
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 07:35:16 am »
Hi,

As HomerOfGods asked me to create suggestion thread here:

Some people have problems with starting their own server (http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=43165.0).

I suggest to create a parameter (like "--networktest") that is not really starting the game server, but opens ports, connects to lobby, ASE, etc. And then lobby tries to connect to the game port, admin port, etc. And the detailed log from that test is shown on the console (+ written to a file) [the lobby response - if available - should be also included in this log].

This would help a lot of people :)

What do you think about it?

Best regards,
Szaman.

Uhm, the only thing which caused trouble for me starting a soldat server so far was, that I forgot to install 'apt-get install ia32-libs' to my server.
There is not much you have to do but installing 'ia32-libs' editing the 'soldat ini' (that's not even required, If I'm right, since you can even start a server without an admin password) & adding permission to your 'soldatserver' file.

I guess everyone who is already hosting a server won't really need it and the limited amount of people who might want to open a serever in the future can still join #soldat.devs or read the help file or just use the forums.
But, I'm not against anything which could make soldat easier to understand, so I vote for F11,5 unless this option wouldn't require more time of coding than it would require to color the nicks in the death console to red and blue. From my understanding of coding that wouldn't require more of 2 minutes since you actually just have to replace 2 color codes there.
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 10:19:46 am »
There was a port checker once i think but never in the lobby.

I'm not sure if it is necessary as setting up the server isn't that difficult.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 10:47:39 am »
More than half of people would create their first server on game host site, and everyone who would like to create personal server, should have minimum knowledge about it.
And first ones, after having server on host, probably would learn about everything that you need to run and configure server on PC

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 12:10:08 pm »
We could atleast update the soldatserver help file though. It sais nothing about opening ports
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 01:40:51 pm by homerofgods »