Author Topic: Devlog update (2014-06-29) SVN-GIT migration stalling  (Read 3960 times)

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Devlog update (2014-06-29) SVN-GIT migration stalling
« on: June 29, 2014, 03:37:59 am »
Hello everyone,

I had no time lately and didn't post anything, sorry.

jrgp asked me to keep you up to date (you should thank him for that ;))

Ok we are currently stuck in the SVN-GIT migration process.

Let me explain what that means.
SVN is a version control system software, we use it to share the source code we have and to keep track of the changes we make and made in the past.
GIT is also a version control system softwrae and we want to use it instead of SVN because it doesn't require us to connect to the server that often (among other stuff we want).
That's where we are stuck.

I worked on this today so we are one step closer to get unstuck and I hope to finish that today.

And that's it for now, until next time.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

DarkCrusade

Re: Devlog update (2014-06-29) SVN-GIT migration stalling
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 05:58:05 am »
Oh, GIT, I heard of it. Even the NASA uses it, right?

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 11:28:27 am »
Have you guys considered interacting with the Storm2D devs and combining your efforts? I'm talking about the development in general, this SVN-GIT specifically.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 05:00:50 pm »
Have you guys considered interacting with the Storm2D devs and combining your efforts? I'm talking about the development in general, this SVN-GIT specifically.

storm and the rest of "THD" use hg/mercurial for some ungodly reason and have for years. that, and storm is java and soldat is delphi. while the opengl bindings for most languages look the same it's still kinda apples/oranges as soldat doesn't use gl yet.
There are other worlds than these

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 11:09:09 pm »
* I'm talking about the development in general, this not SVN-GIT specifically. (Not sure where "this" came from and why I haven't noticed it earlier..)

Anyway, thanks for clarifying.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 12:36:27 am »
* I'm talking about the development in general, this not SVN-GIT specifically. (Not sure where "this" came from and why I haven't noticed it earlier..)

Anyway, thanks for clarifying.

Yeah sorry for the misunderstanding. However, a few weeks/months ago we had our THD meeting and Geti from KAG offered to help rewrite Soldat's graphics to use I think allegro or some other free cross platform library. Shoozza, did anything happen on that front?
There are other worlds than these

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 06:24:16 pm »
I had some talk with Geti but it's too early for him to help us. We need to get some stuff sorted out before it makes sense for him to invest time. Else we will waste it with porting help which is not really what he wanted to help us with.

I think Storm and Soldat are very different atm goal wise, language wise, version control wise. I didn't plan to work together with Roland (the Storm dev).
We have to sort out our problems with Soldat. Storm and Soldat are like two pieces of two Puzzles which have a similar topic they don't fit together and I don't think Roland planned for Soldat to join Storm.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod