Author Topic: soldat.pl website discussion [split topic]  (Read 4744 times)

Offline Adam

• Camper
  • When someone you argue with has a good point.
soldat.pl website discussion [split topic]
« on: September 17, 2014, 12:37:22 pm »
you should change the whole site layout as a whole, shouldnt take long

EDIT: Adam received a 14 day ban for derailing the screenshot thread and making me split it
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 01:11:48 pm by Shoozza »

Arguing with your girlfriend and you don't get a response for a few minutes

Offline Adam

• Camper
Re: [Request] Soldat soldat.pl website discussion (derailed thread)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 11:22:08 am »
i mean, theres templates that can make a far better and eye catching website than soldat.pl, lol

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 08:36:49 am »
i mean, theres templates that can make a far better and eye catching website than soldat.pl, lol

Original design over templates any day, regardless of how it looks..

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 09:58:11 am »

Original design over templates any day, regardless of how it looks..
Isn't a design meant to look good? Aside of the poor look soldat.pl provides it lacks of usual features and a horrible layout and not a single valid reson to not switch over to something better and new template.

Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 12:32:43 pm »
Isn't a design meant to look good? Aside of the poor look soldat.pl provides it lacks of usual features and a horrible layout and not a single valid reson to not switch over to something better and new template.

A lot of effort went into the "current poor look horrible design." Great job being a dick.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 12:40:58 pm »
Let darDar make the design.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 01:48:02 pm »
We all can certainly appreciate darDar's resume of the Soldat community, of the state of Soldat development, and whatever else he has criticised in the past. Now, knowing what's wrong is pretty darn nice! But how about some actual input? That is, constructive criticism, not destructive douchebaggery. Your efforts would be met joyfully, darDar.

I assure you.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 01:56:28 pm »

If someone wants to throw together a html/css template and show it to me I'm up for potentially tweaking it into use.

Nudge nudge nudge xmripper

Offline Adam

• Camper
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 03:28:19 pm »

A lot of effort went into the "current poor look horrible design." Great job being a dick.
how many years ago was that effort made?

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 03:30:19 pm »

Me and ElephantHunter made the design from scratch in 2009. ElephantHunter drew the layout in photoshop/inkscape and I wrote the backend code. Probably before everyone in this thread even joined this forum.

ElephantHunter left/rage-quit THD. As I'm a systems/programer/ops guy rather than an artsy fartsy pseudo-faggot web designer the UI hasn't changed.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 06:00:05 pm by jrgp »

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 05:19:32 pm »
Haha, in hindsight, it's effectively the same. Well, shit.

http://www.circleprefect.com/upload/weblayout.png

Basically the "removal" of the buttons. Had the idea of a brighter background.

Edit:

I have designed some logos, background art and a few website graphics, and I know what goes into the process. Soldat.pl is okay.

Opinions, whatever; ideas :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 05:58:58 pm by jrgp »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 05:59:28 pm »
Haha, in hindsight, it's effectively the same. Well, shit.

http://www.circleprefect.com/upload/weblayout.png

Basically the "removal" of the buttons. Had the idea of a brighter background.

Edit:

I have designed some logos, background art and a few website graphics, and I know what goes into the process. Soldat.pl is okay.

Opinions, whatever; ideas :thumbsup:

Yeah that's identical to how it currently is.

@people in this thread: if you're going to post a big image please provide a link to it instead of embedding it and breaking viewing the thread.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 06:40:47 pm »

That's what I wanted to say.

It's dumb to say that I should be capable to make a better design by myself to make criticising one legit. People somehow always do that, especially if you criticize music, they'll try to convince you that it is actually good cause "omg try it better".

We all can certainly appreciate darDar's resume of the Soldat community, of the state of Soldat development, and whatever else he has criticised in the past. Now, knowing what's wrong is pretty darn nice! But how about some actual input? That is, constructive criticism, not destructive douchebaggery. Your efforts would be met joyfully, darDar.

I assure you.

Honestly, I made this topic a few months : soldat.pl official website [topic].

It was actually me who listed all things which were wrong on that website and honestly that's pathetic.
If someone is in charge of a website he should be capable of at least updating it once a few weeks, which clearly didn't happen here. It wasn't updated for YEARS (aside of the +news+downloads).

Then when I tell people about what's wrong they even want me to sum all things up, when I made it they want me to not post it on the forums but on bugs.soldat.pl [report] for some reason. (which I made either)

I could have fixed the whole outdated stuff in like 5-10 minutes by myself and see how long it actually took now. (In fact it's not even done)

I'm tired about giving any more input if actually nothing ever happens on these tasks. (GUI,Accounts,Maps,Visuals and whatnot) I made essays about that bullshit like 10 years ago.

"Popular Downloads"
1.5 patch

and please get rid of that crap which highly distracts people and has NO purpose at all. WHY in hell there should even be something on the website.

I'm not offensive but the "marketing" / "reasoning" part in soldat / soldat development bothers me.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 06:43:03 pm by darDar »
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 07:52:05 pm »
It's dumb to say that I should be capable to make a better design by myself to make criticising one legit. People somehow always do that, especially if you criticize music, they'll try to convince you that it is actually good cause "omg try it better".

It wasn't an argument, it was a joke.

Still pretty unhelpful. "Make some new screenshots, takes 10 minutes."

"The long awaited NEW Soldat version is here!" three times is amusing.

and please get rid of that crap which highly distracts people and has NO purpose at all. WHY in hell there should even be something on the website.

Still not very helpful.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 07:53:40 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 08:31:19 pm »
Honestly, I think the current site is fine. It doesn't look nearly as bad as some people here seem to imply. Some pages could use some work and perhaps the categories on the left side could be cleaned-up and reorganized a bit, text formatting and other minor things tweaked where needed, but overall I think it looks alright.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:17:50 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 08:42:46 pm »

It wasn't an argument, it was a joke.

Still pretty unhelpful. "Make some new screenshots, takes 10 minutes."

"The long awaited NEW Soldat version is here!" three times is amusing.

Still not very helpful.

I don't understand why darDar is making such a rude ruckus over the site falling under the maintenance radar in recent years.

Is darDar losing sleep over it? Is it making him impotent? Is it stressing him out to the point of him performing poorly at his job? Any of those things would justify him getting so mad about it.

Maybe we should meet up and go to a support group and sit down with darDar so he can tell us how he really feels. I'll be your shoulder to cry on but not in this thread.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 08:46:40 pm by jrgp »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 01:48:08 am »
I'm not offensive but the "marketing" / "reasoning" part in soldat / soldat development bothers me.

I read that like when kids tell their friends something hilarious and then go NOOOOT to turn the statement around. You remind me of a kid anyway.

Offline Adam

• Camper
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 01:50:17 am »
seriously though, how hard would it be to actually make an attractive site that teens wouldn't gloss over? every mainpage site in gaming has something eyecatching to hold the viewers attention, soldat.pl doesn't have that. In fact, not to be a total ass, the site is quite dull and gives off an old 2001 vibe. Wouldn't just giving the site a nice background and layout have more of an effect of bringing players? it doesn't even have to be that eyecatching (osu.ppy.sh and http://us.battle.net/wow/en/), thought I don't know how difficult that would be, but I once mad a sick soldat page with a layout that was far more impressive than it currently is.

the page even has an old sv movie on it when there are FAR more appealing ones to show how the game looks, works, the customization, competitive and skill in it. soldat.pl was decent years ago, but I think it's time to at least change the layout of the whole site (the forums look good for a forums though). We know you oldies like to keep things the same and remain it untouched even if it could hinder soldat's success, but a good, attractive, main site with the addition of the new soldat versions would be far more better long term.

if I didn't land on the forums/sctfl.net before soldat.pl, i'd still think soldat was a dead, barren, game, but thankfully I didn't.

excuse the engrich, it's almost 3 a.m

I agree with darDar that things have been kept the same for too long with nothing to bring new players in.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 01:59:26 am by Adam »

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 02:16:33 am »
seriously though, how hard would it be to actually make an attractive site that teens wouldn't gloss over?

Give us some details. You repeat, "The layout is bad," and "I could make something better," and you give an assload of opinions and essentially memes: "things have been kept the same for too long with nothing to bring new players in."

"Wouldn't just giving the site a nice background and layout" does not suffice.

Do you really think WoW is so much different? It has pretty art with text and boxes. Actually, their website is really not that "great." It's essentially a list on two sides.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:21:40 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Adam

• Camper
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 02:19:55 am »
seriously though, how hard would it be to actually make an attractive site that teens wouldn't gloss over?

Give us some details. You repeat, "The layout is bad," and "I could make something better," and you give an assload of opinions and essentially memes: "things have been kept the same for too long with nothing to bring new players in." Do you really think WoW is so much different? It has pretty art with text and boxes. Actually, their website is really not that "great." It's essentially a list on two sides.

it's still far more appealing than soldat.pl, and yes, the layout is bad, my idea: change the layout into something new and not as if it was made during the tibia era