Poll

yes/no

f12
6 (66.7%)
f11
3 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Mid-air Crouch  (Read 4007 times)

Offline %%%%%%%

• Soldier
Mid-air Crouch
« on: November 04, 2014, 03:10:53 am »
Make it so we can crouch in mid-air. As of now, the only way to crouch in mid-air is if you fall off a ledge in crouch position, or if you roll off a ledge, and keep holding down crouch. Even then, once you let go of crouch or jet, you can't re-crouch. Given that we have the ability to prone/unprone in mid-air, this move should be a no-brainer. It, like prone, should also work in conjunction with jet.

Offline 15th_account

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Soldier
Re: Mid-air Crouch
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 03:41:06 am »
You have to consider the implications. Crouching and proning currently reduces accuracy penalties from MovementAcc, Bink and BulletSpread.

When you're proning mid-air you're greatly sacrificing mobility. When you're rolling off an edge to enter crouch mid-air you have to plan that ahead and sacrifice mobility and potential altitude that could've been had if you instead had jumped off the edge.

As the animation to enter and exit crouch is really quick, there would be minuscule drawbacks in always hitting the crouch button before firing, making air combat look awkward and negating much of the point in performing the currently possible mid-air crouch and prone.

So if we were to allow crouching mid-air, we'd probably have to remove the reductions in accuracy penalty or something.

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 03:50:20 am »
If there will be no penalty for this kind of move then everyone will be just spamming crouch mid-air to dodge and confuse opponents, so be sure not to reduce it too much (if this will be ever actually considered).
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline %%%%%%%

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 04:17:21 am »
When you're proning mid-air you're greatly sacrificing mobility.
Same with crouch, but less so. And this is balanced out by the fact that it reduces accuracy penalties from MovementAcc, Bink and BulletSpread less than prone does.

As the animation to enter and exit crouch is really quick, there would be minuscule drawbacks in always hitting the crouch button before firing, making air combat look awkward and negating much of the point in performing the currently possible mid-air crouch and prone.
To go all the way down into full crouch seems to take just as long as prone does.
It wouldn't make air combat any more 'awkward' than it is now, with mid-air prones (especially adding the fact that holding down prone causes you to prone/unprone constantly and very quickly).
As for negating currently possible mid-air prones, prone leaves less surface area for your opponent to target if he's directly in front of you than crouch does. At the same time, you're sacrificing more mobility than you would be with crouch. Fair trade.

If there will be no penalty for this kind of move then everyone will be just spamming crouch mid-air to dodge and confuse opponents
Any player worth their salt already prones and unprones in direct mid-air firefights to dodge and confuse opponents.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 04:23:38 am by %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% »

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 11:12:19 am »
Any player worth their salt already prones and unprones in direct mid-air firefights to dodge and confuse opponents.

People who spam prone during clashes are generally the above-average-pubber-yet-thinks-is-godly type of players.
This coming from a long time #1 ranked DM player on multiple servers (Zabijaka, PureDM, tba when it was alive, Nordic...) so I think I know what I'm talking about. People who really wrecked on these pubs never resorted to worming aka prone spamming.

Offline %%%%%%%

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 12:32:52 pm »
People who spam prone during clashes are generally the above-average-pubber-yet-thinks-is-godly type of players.
This coming from a long time #1 ranked DM player on multiple servers (Zabijaka, PureDM, tba when it was alive, Nordic...) so I think I know what I'm talking about. People who really wrecked on these pubs never resorted to worming aka prone spamming.
Notice I didn't say "spam" or "worm".

And, again, that's besides the point. My point was to illustrate that one shouldn't argue against crouch because of criteria which prone already covers. Precedence exists; whether they ultimately decide to dodge using crouch or prone, or both, is irrelevant.

Offline BKT

• Major
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 04:10:02 am »
While we're at it, let's add mid-air roll too!  ... You know, like this!

... [retard]
Owned by player with high ping = Blame the ping.
Keep getting owned when playing on the other side of the world and got high ping = Blame the ping.

Make sense...

Offline Name

• Soldier
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 02:32:47 pm »
Perhaps we should add a backflip?

Offline Izzy Rose (PL)

• Soldier
  • I am tank! Get out my way!
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 09:39:05 am »
Perhaps we should add a backflip?
There is already, but it is hard to execute for novice players.

I think that would be nice feature, frontflip. With conjuction with jets, it may make able to do some exciting, swirled moves in mid-air! :D
Ingame known as just Izzy
[Barret]/
+

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 10:06:48 am »
If you reverse a backflip animation, the frontflip doesn't look that bad atleast

lol
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 11:42:10 am by homerofgods »

Offline Izzy Rose (PL)

• Soldier
  • I am tank! Get out my way!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 12:59:34 pm »
I feel the same about it :) Jet surfin! :)

Ingame known as just Izzy
[Barret]/
+

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 04:42:13 pm »
Crouch in mid-air - no, but rolling/frontflipping - sure.

Offline BKT

• Major
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 05:26:58 am »
Frontflipping

- Isn't that  the same as reverse-backflipping that people already doing now?  ???

Mid-air rolling

- How is that even work, anyway!?   :o
Owned by player with high ping = Blame the ping.
Keep getting owned when playing on the other side of the world and got high ping = Blame the ping.

Make sense...