Author Topic: Disable Red Crosshair, Disable Spectate in Server Soldat.ini  (Read 3776 times)

Offline CottonTheMoth

• Major(1)
Disable Red Crosshair, Disable Spectate in Server Soldat.ini
« on: February 26, 2016, 12:19:55 am »
Hey guys, just getting back into this game after the 1.7 update. I had a couple of friends over for a small LAN get together and had them play a game I used to put together in Deathmatch. One player hides as  a sniper and the other players seek using pistols only. They wait in a corner of the map until the sniper gives his cue that he's ready. Whoever kills the sniper first gets to be the sniper next.

There are a couple of issues we run into with this game mode, however. One, everyone's crosshair turning red when hovering over a hidden player's location behind scenery sort of ruins the experience. It would be awesome to be able to disable the player detection notifier via the soldat.ini file per server and have that affect any joined players. Also as the sniper, netting a kill means that a respawning player may get to spectate exactly where you're hiding for a brief period. While this works well for more experienced players that are quick to relocate, it would be very nice to have a player's death result in spectating only their place of death.

Maybe I need to spend more time with this game mode setup and work it into teams. Would teams force spectate to only spectate fellow teammates? Player colors blending in play an important role for this gamemode. Not sure if there's some way to make all players on a certain team exhibit uniform color and accessory changes, including the ones that can be performed by the skin changer app...? I'm sort of out of the loop and would appreciate any input to make this game we play more streamlined.

After a bit of searching it seems as though I may be looking for a Hide and Seek script, but there's a ton out there that all sound mostly broken. Can anyone recommend me a solid one? And am I right in remembering that realistic mode might perhaps disable the red crosshair issue...?

Thanks everyone.

Actually I can't find a single script that has the link still up for download...hmmm.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 12:36:24 am by CottonTheMoth »

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
Re: Disable Red Crosshair, Disable Spectate in Server Soldat.ini
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 07:02:57 am »
I'm not sure whether realistic mode blocks the red crosshair, but I think enemies are invisible when you die in realistic mode.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 08:20:38 am »
Ok, those were quite a lot of questions and I'm not capable of answering all of them, but here are some of my thoughts:
Red cross - I have no idea of how to disable that. I think it's still there in realistic mode. darDar once made a feature requesŧ quite similar to your issue. One idea might be to choose a red-coloured crosshair but I'm afraid the colour gets changed relatively to the original one and not absolutely when aiming at someone...
Spectating when dead - Only idea I have to 'fix' this would be to set respawn time to 0, but I doubt that this would serve for your purpose.
uniform colours - AFAIK it is possible to change the gosteks in such a way that player models look the same. At least this is possible by making all player models completely black. I don't know if the same method works with other colours, too. White won't work obviously (the more white a gostek part is, the more it gets coloured in game). (Have a look here)
HnS script - AFAIK there is still a well-working HnS script out there somewhere. At least I was told that there is still a proper HnS server running. This information has not been confirmed, though. Better wait for some of the server-script-guys (like Falcon), I'm sure they'll be able to help you out.

Please keep us updated about the progress you make with that game mode. I wonder how you'll end. GL!

PS: Next time you should rather split up your concerns. Asking for an option to disable that red crosshair stuff, does belong in this subforum. However, most of your other questions would rather go to the "Need Help" or "Server help" area. Thanks for understanding.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:23:06 am by CCalp »

Offline %%%%%%%

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 11:08:47 am »
Red crosshairs: Doesn't show as long as enemy is crouching or proning.

Spectating hider's location: I got nothing, other than what's been said, i.e. relocating quickly (this can be used to the hider's advantage, by staying in his/her spot for a second while the person they just killed is spectating, then relocating quickly when that person respawns; that person'll go to the same location and the hider can snipe him easily) and setting respawn to the minimum value.
Enemies are still visible after dying in realistic mode, Monsteri.

Team colors: This requires a script, for sure. If you plan on using an HnS script, know that you'll have to cut out a bunch of it to fit your needs.

Teams forcing spectate to teammates: Yes, you can only follow teammates, but you can always go freecam and look around the rest of the map.

Offline CottonTheMoth

• Major(1)
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 01:44:58 pm »
Ok, those were quite a lot of questions and I'm not capable of answering all of them, but here are some of my thoughts:
Red cross - I have no idea of how to disable that. I think it's still there in realistic mode. darDar once made a feature requesŧ quite similar to your issue. One idea might be to choose a red-coloured crosshair but I'm afraid the colour gets changed relatively to the original one and not absolutely when aiming at someone...
Spectating when dead - Only idea I have to 'fix' this would be to set respawn time to 0, but I doubt that this would serve for your purpose.
uniform colours - AFAIK it is possible to change the gosteks in such a way that player models look the same. At least this is possible by making all player models completely black. I don't know if the same method works with other colours, too. White won't work obviously (the more white a gostek part is, the more it gets coloured in game). (Have a look here)
HnS script - AFAIK there is still a well-working HnS script out there somewhere. At least I was told that there is still a proper HnS server running. This information has not been confirmed, though. Better wait for some of the server-script-guys (like Falcon), I'm sure they'll be able to help you out.

Please keep us updated about the progress you make with that game mode. I wonder how you'll end. GL!

PS: Next time you should rather split up your concerns. Asking for an option to disable that red crosshair stuff, does belong in this subforum. However, most of your other questions would rather go to the "Need Help" or "Server help" area. Thanks for understanding.

Yeah I sort of started realizing that my suggestions were more of inquiries as to existing scripts and such. Good idea on the respawn time at 0, that will at least terminate the possibility. Maybe there's an exact amount of time where a character has died that has to play out before spectating begins, and I can set the respawn time to that value. That would be good enough, though ideally I would have a 5s+ respawn and spectate only the teammates. Freecam wouldn't be an issue with us. It's the directly locking onto the sniper that ruins the fun.

I honestly can't find the v2.5 HnS script available anywhere...unfortunately the creator only linked it externally and didn't use the forum file upload. I'm willing to try and attempt to understand a bit of scripting if it can get me where I need to be, but my understanding will be pretty limited.

Didn't realize that the red crosshair hid when prone or crouching! Good to know. That's less of an issue I guess, I feel like I've had it show up otherwise but I must be mistaken.

My primary goal at this point will be to find or work out a script that allows me to change team SHIRT colors. Anybody have any leads?  Honestly all of our characters can use whatever setup we like with coloration, but what will solve a lot of my problems would be to have teams enabled. Is there a way to change team shirt colors assigned? If not, view this as a future suggestion, haha, there I'm back on topic for this subforum  8)

The team green color is just too vibrant (for my purposes), and really it's all that I would need to change. I can even change the files locally since I'm LAN'ing with three friends and have access to all of the machines, I just have no idea where to go for this. Here's hoping it's something I can just pop open with Sublime Text...

Edit: Nope, currently familiarizing myself with Pascal and compiling a list of variables and assignements I'm going to need to utilize. Wish me luck, I haven't touched this before lmao. Hopefully I can directly write a value to my server script for the property "ShirtColor" that's within the "TActivePlayer"... Thing...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 02:24:55 pm by CottonTheMoth »

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 08:02:47 pm »
I honestly can't find the v2.5 HnS script available anywhere...unfortunately the creator only linked it externally and didn't use the forum file upload.

Have a look over here. Hope that helps!

Offline CottonTheMoth

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 11:31:37 pm »
I honestly can't find the v2.5 HnS script available anywhere...unfortunately the creator only linked it externally and didn't use the forum file upload.

Have a look over here. Hope that helps!
Much appreciated! From my experience v3 is broken and loaded with useless features anyways so I'm trying to get v2.5 back in working order (black screen during seeker countdown no longer works).