Author Topic: Ways to boost the player base and bring in new players  (Read 8781 times)

Offline BatCat

• Major(1)
Ways to boost the player base and bring in new players
« on: July 20, 2016, 12:52:05 pm »
I just recently got back into Soldat after playing it many years ago and the online community is a bit... Barren at best. This might be a long shot, but what ways could we implement that would help bring in new players? I saw a few people saying it should be on Steam, but I think it should be a F2P as it is now, with the option of registering for more options. Perhaps some people could also post on Reddit or other online forums to help bring more attention to it?

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
Re: Ways to boost the player base and bring in new players
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 01:41:35 pm »
The discussion has been going on already and the plan seam to be to wait for the big 1.8 update and see if soldat is ready for more promotion after that.

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 06:20:29 am »
Hi BatCat,
thank you for your input and your enthusiasm. We have had many people talking about that issue, but only a very few actually doing something. However, there are many things everyone could do on his own - according to his or her skills. For example: posting on forums and social networks of your choice, producing and releasing media material (e.g. movies or graphical manipulations), helping with the creation of PR material for the official facebook page etc. As inspiration, I suggest you to read this post (especially below "Now it's your turn!").
As you can see, right now it's more like guerilla marketing - as homerofgods mentioned, internally the Soldat team has decided to wait for 1.8 until we get into serious promotion again.

Offline Name

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 09:02:30 am »
I demand a definition of "guerilla" as it is often mistaken for people fighting behind enemy lines primarily against the major power in an area. There can however be slight disagreements with the one (or the ones) in charge and it can lead to militias being formed who are roughly on the same side as the authorities. Such occurances are more common and tend to gain strength when the leaders of a certein movement are making compromises with the enemy (or the enemies) but they can still occur at any given time or place and under any possible circumstance. Are such occurances included in your definition of guerillas?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 09:05:15 am by Name »

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 02:52:48 pm »
I demand a definition of "guerilla" [...]

You seem to be quite well informed about the meaning of the word "guerilla". The term "guerilla marketing", however, is used in PR and refers to an advertisement strategy, read more on wikipedia.

Edit: To answer your latter question, I don't expect such occurrences in this case.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 07:28:08 am by CCalp »

Offline Name

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 10:03:03 am »
Allright then, to exemplify I quite like Coca Cola's guerilla marketing.

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 03:32:22 pm »

Hey man, I already got what you're up to after I had read your last post. As much as I would love to chat about politics, corporatocracy and other deficiencies of human's work on earth, this is totally not the right place for that.
Please note that any further off topic posts will be deleted. 

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 08:17:10 am »
We can't get new players to the game.
There's no reason for them to pick this game over all the AAA and good indie games.

The learning curve for soldat is pretty steep too, so even if you do find people to try it out, they'll quit due to the learning curve.
The new generation of "players/gamers" aren't like they were 10 years ago. They don't like to face challanges when they play their games, or really need to improve their skills, even the hardcore players are playing casual games.

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 05:11:50 am »
We can't get new players to the game.
There's no reason for them to pick this game over all the AAA and good indie games.

The learning curve for soldat is pretty steep too, so even if you do find people to try it out, they'll quit due to the learning curve.
The new generation of "players/gamers" aren't like they were 10 years ago. They don't like to face challanges when they play their games, or really need to improve their skills, even the hardcore players are playing casual games.

I guess you're a bit wrong.
You can't start an strategy for the "new" Soldat with these new games in your mind. Like you said, this not gonna work by the learning curve etc.

In my opinion, all the work starts with what you haven't done all these years.
Make a strategy, put the community in the middle of the proccess, let us know what is going on and leave somethings behind, this is NEEDED.

1. First of all, the game needs new menus. New players gonna face this shit first. Plus: Alignments for all the texts and interface things.
2. Remove Teammatch (my fav gamemode w/e), Rambomatch, Pointmatch and Infiltration. Yes, this is a hard thing to do, but we are in 2016, if you don't wanna touch the classic things, you won't save the game. The reason for deleting these modes is simple: You can't work with everything, everytime. Don't forget that when we talk about gamemodes, we talk about maps, balancing, ways to keep the mode alive etc.
3. Focus on CTF and the competitive mode. A matchmaking system? I don't know. Lobbies like asian FPSs? Maybe. But stop using IRC. Nobody uses IRC nowadays, IRC automatically kills the growth of the competitive scene. You have to be so curious, addicted etc to be part of this IRC community, like ginn said the new players are lazy as fuck. You can at least copy QuakeLive scheme. Here's the idea: When you join a server with 5 other players, you have to press F3 to be ready then the server randomize the teams (you can add a vote option to not randomize the teams) and you choose between BO1, BO3 or BO5. Then after a countdown the map starts. Doing this you eliminate the need of irc for gathers and you gonna see some servers with players waiting to start a new match.
4. Improve the website. I'm sure that there's some guys here with good and simple ideas. You could also create a section for tutorials teaching the movements, with clean and high quality videos.
5. You can also follow some Quake Champions ideas. They are trying to adapt that kind of game for the new audience. Chars, more blood, immersive sounds.
6. Premium accounts. You need this. Remove this registration with unlimited time, start new plans. 3 months, 6 months, a year.
7. Stop unnoticeable adjustments, like the hit reg, movement etc. A lot of time/effort for a little impact. These things are far from what the game really needs.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 06:45:39 am by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline Name

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 04:33:54 pm »
My ideas about guerillas would mostly apply to other things but when it comes to Soldat my suggestion is simply to let the game work. That is my suggestion.

Offline BKT

• Major
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 05:31:21 am »
the online community is a bit... Barren at best.

I find it interesting you use the more abstracts term 'community' and not 'players'.

Too many people are chating about the game and too few are actually playing it. It's sad, really...  :-\
Owned by player with high ping = Blame the ping.
Keep getting owned when playing on the other side of the world and got high ping = Blame the ping.

Make sense...

Offline Seth Gecko

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 04:59:26 pm »
If you do a Google search for "list of hacked ip cams", you actually get this thread as the first hit.

We now just have to think of a way to lure these people into Soldat... hm... brb!

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 06:44:56 pm »
If you do a Google search for "list of hacked ip cams", you actually get this thread as the first hit.

We now just have to think of a way to lure these people into Soldat... hm... brb!
Next topic should be named "boobs hot chick polishgirl ..." :D

Or we could make use of this as well:
https://www.google.com/trends/hottrends
http://www.siegemedia.com/seo/most-popular-keywords

Offline cute_battlebunny

• Major(1)
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 11:14:51 am »
It would be cool if there were a match lobby yes so you can wait until 3v3 players are available and then start the game. In all honesty I used to like the servers
that allowed up to 16 players on a map but now with my aged eyes and brain there's just too much stuff going on so I would really like to be able to play more 3v3 matches.

Soldat was a niche-game for as long as I can remember but currently there are about 70 servers with 75 players most of the time and it used to be a couple hundred of players online.

I agree with that IRC is out-dated for pretty much anybody who didn't grow up with it.

The learning curve is pretty steep yes. Having achieved ESL niveau once soldat was still available there (maybe getting Soldat back to something like ESL would help, I don't know?) we used to empty public servers because the skill difference was so huge that basically everybody left at least on the deathmatch servers. The servers with citrus stats were more awesome and actually the only servers where decently skilled players were online. But I mean that applies to pretty much every game.
I have never really played 3D shooters and if I do I suck so hard it's not fun to play.

Have you considered crowdfunding (gives you both money and publicity).

Offline Name

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 03:07:57 pm »

Hey man, I already got what you're up to after I had read your last post. As much as I would love to chat about politics, corporatocracy and other deficiencies of human's work on earth, this is totally not the right place for that.
Please note that any further off topic posts will be deleted.
You are insinuating towards the wrong alternative and I am not in need to be discrete about this. Just because they bulldozed an entire park where I put my sticker up doesn't mean I never posted it. In case you need further advice: They do appear elsewhere..
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 03:11:24 pm by Name »

Offline BKT

• Major
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 06:08:53 am »
we used to empty public servers because the skill difference was so huge that basically everybody left at least on the deathmatch servers.

Did any of you ever sincerely try to play in a way* that it will be less likely for them to leave?

* Do not ask me what this mean; you guy should know... Unless you're all a dick.  :P
Owned by player with high ping = Blame the ping.
Keep getting owned when playing on the other side of the world and got high ping = Blame the ping.

Make sense...

Offline utkesmer

• Major(1)
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 04:03:44 pm »
Right now the best way to increase newbie number is redesigning the client menu, its current appearance makes people think that this game was last updated 15 years ago and has no future, and is not worth the time spent to learn and master. New players care about that a lot these days.

Developers should stop wasting time on idealizing weapon balance over and over again, they should focus on this instead. There is already a good template published.

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 03:20:14 pm »
Right now the best way to increase newbie number is redesigning the client menu, its current appearance makes people think that this game was last updated 15 years ago and has no future, and is not worth the time spent to learn and master. New players care about that a lot these days.
Well, we got 4K game with 480p UI :D

Offline utkesmer

• Major(1)
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 07:34:11 pm »
Well, we got 4K game with 480p UI :D

The resolution doesn't mean anything. Menu looks awful and old. And it's not just looks, most of it is useless, people only use Join Game and Player tabs, others are useless.

Something like this must be done: https://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=44128.0
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 07:50:20 pm by utkesmer »

Offline Petterkowski

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 07:19:35 am »
thank you for bringing this up again because Sipar's gui is gold and kind of makes you wanna play it.

Once more into the fray...
Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
Live and die on this day...
Live and die on this day...