Author Topic: [New Sever Feature] - Hardware Fingerprint Ban  (Read 2813 times)

Offline User No. 2

• Major
  • IT engineer
[New Sever Feature] - Hardware Fingerprint Ban
« on: September 03, 2006, 07:41:40 am »
Suggestion: [New Sever Feature] - Hardware Fingerprint Ban
Actually admins has really only two weapons to make battle with naughty players on their servers. First weapon is called: "kick", second weapon in this war is "ban". Setting ban to user who has dynamic IP (IP address that is periodically changed) is sadly nonsense, and admin is in that fact unarmed, and player is felling unpunished thinking that he can do all what he want (like using cheats etc.) without any after effects of that. If Soldat client (Soldat game) can generate hash from player hardware unique configuration (like motherboard, BIOS or hard discs serialls numbers etc) which is not changing (like dynamic IP) and send this hash to server when player is trying to join game and Soldat server can perform this information with giving admin possibility to ban hashes (players hardware fingerprints), it can be really usefull feature for keeping server clean and take admin work easier. This new sort of hardware ban can block exactly the same machine (without base on IP, which can change) which use naughty player. Why have i wrote about 'hashing' information? Even If somebody will try to "hack" soldat client to send fake hash while soldat client is connecting to server, he can`t imitate any concrete user (without knowing his hardware hash - fingerpirnt), so he couldn't make admin to ban innocent Soldat user. I know it, EnEsCe and MM know it, and any semiadvanced programmer know it too: it is really easy to code... and it can give admins much more power to control their own servers. Admins armed with 3 weapons like: ban, kick and new hardware ban could sleep much better. In hardware fingerprint (hash) can be used such informations like: Getting the BIOS serial number in Delphi (http://www.latiumsoftware.com/en/delphi/00050.php); Getting serial numbers of a disks (http://www.scalabium.com/faq/dct0055.htm) etc.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 08:06:06 am by User No. 2 »
Regards, User No. 2

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
Re: [New Sever Feature] - Hardware Fingerprint Ban
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 10:37:08 am »
Interesting? I'd say this is good.
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline Bgretydews

• Flagrunner
  • y halo thar rabbit
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 02:08:08 pm »
I support it, less hackers is always good
http://yossi.jrgp.org/?action=maps&sa=user_maps&u=10
Image (and link) is broken. Feel free to fix it.

Offline Frenchie

• Camper
  • SoldatHQ
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 03:25:54 pm »
You got some good ideas, I like this idea.
But I'm just wondering how long it would take for MM to release a new version with this in it.
Soldat Lobby Avec Players -New Release! - Updated AGAIN!

Offline Bgretydews

• Flagrunner
  • y halo thar rabbit
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 04:13:16 pm »
But I'm just wondering how long it would take for MM to release a new version with this in it.

This could be in the Dedi Server i think, Not sure
http://yossi.jrgp.org/?action=maps&sa=user_maps&u=10
Image (and link) is broken. Feel free to fix it.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 07:39:15 pm »
yes, but it would also require a client update.  The client would need to scrape together the hardware fingerprint and send it to the server.

This could be in the Dedi Server i think, Not sure

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 09:03:36 pm »
a) Hardware Fingerprinting is EASILY spoofable.
b) It is NOT easy to code...
c) There is a program easily found using google that can change your computers hardware fingerprints.

This would inevitably fail in a short period of time.

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 09:11:27 pm »
even if it is spoofable, a ton of shit on internet is but people are not knowledgable or too lazy to do it.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 11:50:42 pm »
a) Hardware Fingerprinting is EASILY spoofable.
b) It is NOT easy to code...
c) There is a program easily found using google that can change your computers hardware fingerprints.

This would inevitably fail in a short period of time.

Being that he is the server developer, his opinion on this is enough for me to close the thread.  If you disagree, contact me and explain to me why it should still be opened.