Author Topic: Gostek modder's suggestion  (Read 3676 times)

Offline scout

• Camper
  • Wolverine does'nt have nothing on me now!
Gostek modder's suggestion
« on: June 28, 2009, 09:10:41 am »
Add a backpack graphic/file to the soldier's costume?

Also gives me an opportunity to do gosteks with the option of adding wings or any back related prop.

This is not for functionality purposes, but looks.

I have a bad feeling that id get alot of flak from this.

DarkCrusade

Re: Gostek modder's suggestion
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 09:30:51 am »
You are already able to do such things, and the wings or whatever are able to move also. It is not a bad idea, though, it offers new ways of modding and makes older mods not unsuitable for Soldat.

I would F12 this if there was a poll ;)

Offline scout

• Camper
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 09:36:24 am »
:D yay!

EDIT- I am aware that attaching wings to the shoulder is possible, but it would look wierd ingame, also the graphic boundaries limit the size of the shoulder when the player is faced on the left side, meaning you would'nt be able to see a nicely modded and proportional wing when facing the left.

Main point- wouln't it be more pleasant to see a well placed object(on the back) than a mutated or surgically attached limb on soldier's shoulder?? let alone that 'thing' moves with it.. whats worse... it looks like your trying to 'flap' it while htapping the crouch button
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 09:48:41 am by scout »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 10:06:25 am »
[...] than a mutated or surgically attached limb on soldier's shoulder?? let alone that 'thing' moves with it.. whats worse... it looks like your trying to 'flap' it while htapping the crouch button

I used that for a techsuit I made for an older mod I didn´t finish (Energy War). I guess that is quit fun and does not faze anybody if you don´t play with kingsize gosteks ...

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 01:28:31 pm »
Are you basing this on some of my ideas? Or more your own?

Offline MattH

• Flagrunner
  • It's a real burn, being right so often.
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 01:53:06 pm »
F12

I wanted something like that so bad with my cold war mod.

Offline scout

• Camper
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 01:08:03 am »
yes shard most of it was from you XD

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 08:59:58 am »
I would F12 that, because of the limitations in gfx modding as a result of the fact that the sprites at always read from the top left of the sprite. Consider it a non-important demand since this suggestion is entirely mod-related.

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 07:34:13 am »
I don't like the gostek layout.

F12.

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 08:54:04 am »
F12, but the default ones should be left blank, to prevent ruining older mods.
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 09:31:28 am »
yup. F12

Offline scout

• Camper
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 10:41:43 am »
yes please. Good idea :D

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 03:25:35 pm »

Yeah, some people would get annoyed by wings and stuff, it's supposed to be war vets and not angels xd
b&

Offline scout

• Camper
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 10:05:59 am »
well... i could do a gostek which looks like the Aile Strike Gundam- which fyi, does have 'Wing shaped' boosters. Another alternative is creating a shiny looking (but not at all functional) back mounted weapon, like a big assed linear cannon, much like the one in Armored Core

EDIT-hmm.. Angels... lol just had this crazy idea of making a 'Angels vs Demons' mod.... nah, im way out of my league when it comes to fantasy stuff- yes im speaking from an art student's perspective.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 10:07:57 am by scout »

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 10:43:21 am »
F12. I made a mod called Cybotronic Angels that, when using the LAW, you had wings. This would make that easier.

Offline Godefroy

• Major
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 12:55:49 pm »
I don't like the gostek layout.

F12.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 04:29:57 pm »
For customisation purposes it'd be great, but then people would mod gosteks to be able to see campers behind sceneries. In this case - F11.

Though I remember a suggesion, where gosteks would be unique for each player. You could make your own gostek and other players on the server will auto-download it (like new maps, but gostek files are tiny in filesize and won't cause lag). So your character will have the gostek you made, and other players will have their own unique gosteks.
If this suggestion will be implemented too, then F12

DarkCrusade

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 08:10:20 pm »
For customisation purposes it'd be great, but then people would mod gosteks to be able to see campers behind sceneries. In this case - F11.
^

This is already able being done, even with a healthbar.

Though I remember a suggesion, where gosteks would be unique for each player. You could make your own gostek and other players on the server will auto-download it (like new maps, but gostek files are tiny in filesize and won't cause lag). So your character will have the gostek you made, and other players will have their own unique gosteks.
If this suggestion will be implemented too, then F12

This is shit, if you have to download every gostek somebody uses (there are HOUNDREDS of mods!) you will play less because you need to download all the gfx and if you try a mod out (not for public, just for tryout) that you don´t want being copied by others you can´t play with this option. I F11 all those things that go with a higher download time for things.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 11:52:09 pm »
Well, a whole gostek is 12kb, which isnt all that much. Even if it goes up to 20kb per player, it'll be 240kb max (and that's only in case there are 12 players all with custom gosteks). For those who still dont want extra downloading, there can always be a disable option.
I've recently had to download a map that's about 500kb including sceneries, and it took me less than 2 seconds. Also, if this feature is available only for regged players, there wouldnt be as many custom gosteks. And if you dont want your gostek being downloaded by others, perhaps there can be an option "for private use only", and others will see default gostek instead. But that's a whole different topic, I suppose. :/

DarkCrusade

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009, 12:20:47 am »
This is sick, people are able to abuse this function then with a gostek of maximal size ...