Author Topic: Soldat mereged with Steam  (Read 7507 times)

Offline |_ancer

• Soldier
  • again and again.
Soldat mereged with Steam
« on: January 19, 2010, 08:38:44 am »
Soldat 1.5.1 account system is very similar to the system how Steam works. So why not merge Soldat with Valve's Steam? This would give an opportunity for Soldat to become more popular to people around the world who use Steam to play games, find friends and find places of interest.

--Pros
- Soldat would have the potential to become more popularized
- It'll give opportunities for friends to know what game and join you easy as a click with Steam Friends
- Steam community has groups so you can join and become a proud member of the Steam community

--Cons
- Logging into Steam could be a bit of an annoyance
- Soldat would be located in Steam folder so that it might be a bit more annoying to mod.

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
Re: Soldat mereged with Steam
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 09:01:23 am »
BE does not want.
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline scout

• Camper
  • Wolverine does'nt have nothing on me now!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 09:07:19 am »
F11.

Soldat already has xfire. And even then, its not popular. Why? its the graphics. gamers these days depend heavily on graphic demanding games, and soldat is not one of them.

What Soldat needs? lots of (visual) updates, and more publicity to the 'classic' gamers.

As of now, opensoldat is probably the only glimmering hope of soldat's future.

Lets face it, our next few updates are probably gonna be crap, since its only deved by one guy- Essence, and plus ill not be surprised that it won't be released till next year.

Its another reason why ive left the soldat modding scene temporarily or maybe even entirely- updates are not fixed, the modding community is almost dead, i barely see the Modding section have any new posts.

On to other areas, The lounge is the only one active, even so its all non soldat stuff, so it does'nt count.

General discussions? not much there too. Suggestions which will probably go on death ears, we've seen em all. Thats inclusive of all the necro'ed posts.

Sorry, rant over. Im just pissed at how the forum died so suddenly.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 09:17:12 am by scout »

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 09:16:17 am »
Soldat doesn't need any steam. It's already being widely used by irc and file\voice oved software. Soldat just needs some love....
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 09:47:02 am »
Won't happen. It involves mm getting seriously financially involved with valve which mm cannot afford/does not want.
There are other worlds than these

Offline [SIRS]Foxconn^^2012

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 10:10:54 am »
F12 To this. MM Should talk with Valve about integrating soldat with Steam. Also that means:

BE - GTFO
VAC - HAI

I love vac more than the battleye.

EDIT: Also, u wl enjoy automatic updates ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 10:19:19 am by [SIRS]Foxconn^^2012 »

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 12:35:21 pm »
won't happen.
one of the many reasons: valve wouldn't want it in the actual state...too buggy and much too less development/enthusiasm behind it.
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 02:00:15 pm »
VAC - HAI

EDIT: Also, u wl enjoy automatic updates ;D
You do know how VAC works?

1.5.1 has automatic updates.
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 04:40:03 pm »
--Pros
- Soldat would have the potential to become more popularized
- It'll give opportunities for friends to know what game and join you easy as a click with Steam Friends
- Steam community has groups so you can join and become a proud member of the Steam community
1) Whether Soldat is on Steam or not - won't fix Soldat's own issues which are the reason why Soldat is becoming less and less popular - enormous number of bugs, newb-unfriendly players, poor graphics (graphics however might improve with the release of 1.5.1 with remade maps)
2) Soldat will have automatic updates, login system and buddy system (not exactly one you described, but most important features are there).
3) Personally I couldn't care less about Steam community.

I never liked Steam - I want to manage my games myself, not using some launcher with a weird way of storing game files which aren't as easy to mod.

In conclusion: Soldat already has/will have some of the features you suggested. Steam won't add much to Soldat, but instead it'll take away its ease of use. Account system in 1.5.1 already took some of that away, and Steam will only make it even worse.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 12:15:22 am »
BE - GTFO
VAC - HAI

That involves paying valve an arseload of money MM does not have...
There are other worlds than these

Offline JupiterShadow

• Camper
  • MS Paint + Adobe Lighting effects FTW!
    • 55274-640-8484137-23948
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 06:34:22 am »
Naw. I hate steam cuz its a bitch.

Offline MorlanV

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 04:14:56 am »
I hate steam because It auto update's my Spore Galactic Adventure's and the patch fuck's the whole game up. And when you don't want the patch, it update's even if you don't want to.

Generally, I have seen a few crap game's on steam that weren't major but I think that it's MM's choice to decide, not our's. The game isn't a game that everybody know's about. I only found the game by googling 2d realtime war game and got Soldat on the 5th page.

It's not as big as Maxis with Spore on Steam. Maxis is a major company which can afford to pay to place their game's on Steam.  the company that made Soldat isn't as big.

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 05:39:22 am »
Also isn't soldat already integrated into the indie games equivalent of steam, I can't remeber what its called or anything(which probably means that it isn't helping popularize soldat lol) but yeah i remeber something.
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 11:12:51 am »
Efforts have already been made regarding Soldat and Steamworks, however Valve was simply "not interested". A quick Google search on the subject reveals a lot of Indie game developers were either completely ignored or just plain unsuccessful without reasoning. Ah well, no biggie.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 11:38:16 am »
Tough luck, or should I say, that was close.
Soldat's already falling real fast, no need to add weight...
b&

Offline scout

• Camper
  • Wolverine does'nt have nothing on me now!
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 02:56:19 pm »
Agreed. We'll all leave soldat sooner or later unless these 'problems' are fixed.

Untill then im just waiting for the day when soldat officially becomes abandonware and disappears from the interwebs- for good.

I think we're about 80% our way there, judging from the amount of updates per month(or year).

Soldat is quickly dying out in my eyes. Im prepared to moving on to something else other than this.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 02:58:48 pm by scout »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 09:37:50 am »
Î am playing Soldat not to enjoy the real game but to play on servers with mods like Hexer, MissionMod, Hide & Seek, Climb ... all that special stuff. But not the real game. I just don´t enjoy it anymore. You don´t get any reward for playing and you can´t improve this since ranks would be the only possibility. But we all know that it would get even worse then. I don´t want to see the facial expression of all those Soldat players that play against frag whores ...

Other possibilities for rewards:
-Raise in stats like in RPG mods: No. Just no.
-Ranks: Bad idea.
-Get more weapons: Very bad idea.

But maybe. Maybe! You could reward players for their time they play on a server by giving them access to more hair styles, more accessours, stuff like that. Nothing that would hurt the gameplay.

But. A soldiers gostek is so small that it wouldn´t change that much, but more gostek possibilities would be nice even if it wasn´t implemented as a reward so I suggest it.

The problem Soldat has is not, that it has a dying community. The problem is, that Soldat doesn´t get advertised. Wherever I go. I see ads. I got into playing Soldat through it. I bought a magazine (Bravo Screenfun) and Soldat 1.3 was included on the CD so I tried it out. I would never have acknowledged Soldat if it wasn´t on that CD.

My main point is, that players don´t play Soldat not because the graphics are crap. Players don´t play Soldat because they don´t KNOW it. If I ask anyone whether he knows it 19 out of 20 say they don´t know it and that´s true.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 10:42:12 am »
The advertising bit has already been discussed hundreds of times...
Truth of the matter is people are too lazy to type out a few words on a forum/gaming community/others...
I've already told about a dozen of my friends about it and half of them play it every once in a while out of boredom.
And yes, they're all still Majors xD
b&

DarkCrusade

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 05:13:22 pm »
I always tell my friends I am playing Soldat. I never regret a word, even if people laughed about me playing a 2D sidescroller that seems to be a CS rip to many guys. I got some of them to play Soldat and some of them kept playing. That´s what I call ads. I also advertised it at some German forums, just so you know that I am no lazybone. Advertising Soldat has been discussed hundreds of times because it is a necessity. If it wasn´t considered it was about money or effort. If it actually was that much effort how was I able to get some of my friends (~9 who kept playing) playing? If only 1/10 of the Soldat community advertised Soldat the way I do there would be no discussion about "Soldat is dying ´o`", right? But that´s the point where too much effort is blocking the way for a action by many people. So we would need less people that advertise Soldat more. That could be people that tell the community where they advertised Soldat by posting links to those places here (just people with proper knowledge of the language; no 1337 talk) but people that tell people in their area about it (friends and stuff; your brother/sister!).
Possibility 2: Advertising via banners. It doesn´t cost as much money as people try to tell us ...

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 05:28:21 pm »
Î am playing Soldat not to enjoy the real game but to play on servers with mods like Hexer, MissionMod, Hide & Seek, Climb ... all that special stuff. But not the real game. I just don´t enjoy it anymore. You don´t get any reward for playing and you can´t improve this since ranks would be the only possibility. But we all know that it would get even worse then. I don´t want to see the facial expression of all those Soldat players that play against frag wh***s ...
This isn't an mmorpg, the reward for playing is that you get better.