Author Topic: MOD Idea: ETQW Mod for Soldat  (Read 5083 times)

Offline SebaSOFT

• Major(1)
MOD Idea: ETQW Mod for Soldat
« on: January 29, 2010, 09:18:58 am »
Well I'm a mapper for a AAA game called Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and want to bring some of that gameplay to this hilarious game.

Quake Wars is a class-based, objective focused, team-oriented game. Teams are based on human (GDF) and alien (Strogg) technology. While the teams are asymmetrical, both sides have the same basic weapons and tools to complete objectives. Unlike other team-based online games (such as the Battlefield series), the gameplay is much more focused on one or two main objectives at once, rather than spread all over the combat area. This allows for much more focused and intense combat situations, similar to the original Unreal Tournament assault mode. Each player class normally has new objectives show up during game play, many times based around the specific capabilities of that class.

What I'd like to discuss here is.

• Would you actually like that?
  • Do you know if there is something that can't be done? (see below)
  • Would you help? Even just posting here...

Most troublesome features (IMHO):
- Turrets (Anti Personnel Turret, Artillery Interceptor Turret, Artillery Turrets)
- Class system (Solider, Medic, Engineer, Field Ops, [Cover Ops])
- Engineers constructing Turrets, Objective stuff (bridges, etc.) and disarming bombs
- Medics calling supply drops / med packs
- Medics reviving
- Field Ops with Artillery strike grenades (mark a spot and a plane drops bombs)
- Soldiers Destroying stuff with bomb plant
- Proximity mines and Laser Mines
- Big maps

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
Re: MOD Idea: ETQW Mod for Soldat
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 09:38:07 am »
We just can make that Strike thing and you need a coder
I made a mod basically graphics, just use search button but the link might be dead... so ask for reupload (I dont have it)

I think you should ask to mappers and codders so wrong section I think

Offline Grimbad

• Soldier
  • Kharn
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 08:02:30 pm »
Healing is doable, but outright revival would take some kind of scripting. Turret building, spawning med kits, land mines, class systems, and air strikes I've all seen in scripts. I don't know about planting and disarming bombs. Building bridges is as far as I know not possible, as (as far as I know...) polygons can't be scripted in or out.
Building and destroying bridges could probably be replaced with repairing and demolishing teleporters, which would also work better seeing as Soldat is 2d.
In short, it's all about the server scripting. A weapons mod is the simplest part.
!@#$%

Offline SebaSOFT

• Major(1)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 09:57:48 pm »
Thanks for your posts, keep them comming...

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 10:03:15 pm »
- Turrets (Anti Personnel Turret, Artillery Interceptor Turret, Artillery Turrets)
I suppose it is possible (I'm sure I've seen a similar script somewhere), but since there's only a single set of graphics for turrets - they'll all look the same.

- Class system (Solider, Medic, Engineer, Field Ops, [Cover Ops])
That's totally possible, however it depends on what abilities you want them to have. Healing, building/reparing turrets, becoming invisible - that's possible. But disguising as a player from another team like in ETQW - isn't.

- Engineers constructing Turrets, Objective stuff (bridges, etc.) and disarming bombs
Disarming bombs should be possible. I know placing them is possible, so disarming should be too. But spawning additional polygons or scenery graphics is currently impossible.

- Medics calling supply drops / med packs
That should be possible. I've seen mods where you can spawn kits and weapons near you. Maybe you can spawn them far-away too.

- Medics reviving
It's possible, but looks a bit weird. Because bodies can be blown far away - you'll have to have a different indicator of where player died. In Last Stand zombie server a place where player died is shown by a flame. Looks weird but reviving works.

- Field Ops with Artillery strike grenades (mark a spot and a plane drops bombs)
Not sure if you can script grenades like that, but I know it can be possible with knife.

- Soldiers Destroying stuff with bomb plant
Same as with building - map structure (polygons, sceneries and colliders) can't be modified in real-time, so it's impossible.

- Proximity mines and Laser Mines
Might be possible, but it's very tricky to make them look accordingly. Especially laser mines. You can only spawn existing objects with scripts, and Soldat doesn't have neither an object nor the graphics that would help simulate a laser mine.

- Big maps
Soldat can handle maps big enough to provide fun gameplay. Trenchwars mod has some really big maps (example). Ginormously hugeous maps just won't be fun unless there are vehicles in Soldat (which won't be coming anytime soon, or perhaps - never).

-----------

Overall it sounds kind of fun but Soldat players don't seem to like game modes this complex. Soldat just isn't customisable enough to allow such gamemode to unleash its full potential.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 01:18:51 pm »
I think you could actually let the different turrets look different from each other. You could spawn objects or dummys to achieve the effect you want to have.

Disarming bombs may be very hard to create since you can´t detect explosions.

The artillery strike thing is easily scriptable. You could have a command that may be /art. If you use it 3 knives drop the ground to indicate the place where the bombs will drop and then after ~5-10 seconds the bombs will drop from a place 1000px higher than where you´ve placed the mark. There wouldn´t be a plane but it would work. I recommend to use maps without a roof for this :P

--------------------------

Just one question: Why don´t you let Soldat stay Soldat and Quake Quake?

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 04:18:00 pm »
Disarming bombs may be very hard to create since you can´t detect explosions.
Explosion isn't a bomb though. You know how on many servers bombs are shown as bow arrows sticking out from the ground? If you can script arrows to appear where bomb has been planted - it means it's detectable.

The artillery strike thing is easily scriptable. You could have a command that may be /art. If you use it 3 knives drop the ground to indicate the place where the bombs will drop
Actually, there's an even more presentable way to do this. Instead of knives you could spawn bullets on the ground. I know it sounds weird but it actually looks much better than knives. Looks kind of like a marker. Again, check Last Stand server for example.

My guess is that people are just getting sick of 3D shooters. There's way too many of them nowadays. Soldat is 2D and provides a whole different experience, so many players want to bring their favorite games into 2D.

Offline Henito Kisou

• Flagrunner
  • Cursed Mind
    • Me on deviantART
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 04:45:34 pm »
Technically, even Doom is 2D. 2.5D. Pseudo-3D. Just differences in heights and texturing. So, it wouldn't be too hard to imitate similiar thing. But yes, Soldat is side-view, just different way of rendering.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 05:07:43 pm »
Technically, even Doom is 2D. 2.5D. Pseudo-3D. Just differences in heights and texturing. So, it wouldn't be too hard to imitate similiar thing. But yes, Soldat is side-view, just different way of rendering.
Uh, doom is still very different. You look from the eyes of your character, there's also a sense of depth and perspective (objects are closer to you or farther in perspective).
Soldat is more like a painting. It's a flat canvas, you have everything right in front of you, including your own soldier. It feels less serious and more minimal comparing to other shooters, and especially with the fact that there aren't many good 2D shooters - it feels unique.

Offline SebaSOFT

• Major(1)
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 09:27:00 pm »
Thanks a lot Loner and Dark, the motivation for this mod it's also for giving the game  (ETQW) a hommage. Mods are getting harder and harder to make and doing one (say) in the next big fat AAA game engine will be a bit less than impossible. Also ETQW was dilapidated by it's producer (Activision) because it went out in the same date span than Call of Duty 4 and Activision just didn't do any maketing on this game, tough a very strog community is still standing for  this very inmersive and complete game.

P.S.: I'm not intrested in the Cover Ops/infiltrator class, only that it's the sniper class.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:30:14 pm by SebaSOFT »

Offline SebaSOFT

• Major(1)
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 10:16:16 am »
Sorry for the bump, but someone intrested in this? It wouild be the first objective-based mod as far as I know... also a class-based warfare?

Offline scout

• Camper
  • Wolverine does'nt have nothing on me now!
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 10:29:39 am »
Class-based warfare won't work as far as standard mods go. You'll need lots of scripting for the various classes and stuff like that. Even then, it won't go as far as the other 3d shooter games since they all have their unique scripting system. Soldat's is well... limited and thus not all things are do-able.

Soldiers will all look the same, since they don't have their own custom skins, but are all shared by the same one. Weapons too, provided your gonna try scripting various weapon mods and their 'variants'.

graphics wise, soldat won't entirely fit the notion of ETQW. But gameplay, sure, but again, not all can be done.

My guess is that people are just getting sick of 3D shooters. There's way too many of them nowadays. Soldat is 2D and provides a whole different experience, so many players want to bring their favorite games into 2D.

totally agreed on that point. Its not surprsing that you'd see another new comer to sf requesting for yet another soldat modification of the current game trends e.g Mass Effect 2
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 10:33:20 am by scout »

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 10:47:24 am »
I say again that I made a ETQW.
If someone has the link give it to this guy.

BTW create a subgame mode about ETQW is quite ... stupid? Too many differences on gaming

Offline SebaSOFT

• Major(1)
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 11:45:07 am »
I saw your mod and I think it's great. Well, as you taken the lead, I'd like to offer my help as a mapper and scripter. What do you say?

We could make this more than a graphics mod...

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 12:12:24 pm »
I changed the .ini too

Offline SebaSOFT

• Major(1)
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 12:19:30 pm »
Cool :)

sky: do you want to expand this mod a little further? I can provide maps and scripts
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 03:21:15 pm by SebaSOFT »

Offline Henito Kisou

• Flagrunner
  • Cursed Mind
    • Me on deviantART
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 06:06:46 pm »
Sky, most of mods  along with quake wars were uploaded at Soldatpage but actually it gives internal server error. From what I heard that page had backups on few servers. Try to reach Dephille or someone else to ask if there are files possible to restore.

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 07:53:35 am »
Well I havent seen DePhille arround here for a time.

I can expand it but not yet, I have some projects in mind that I have to finish 1st

Offline SebaSOFT

• Major(1)
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 08:12:54 am »
In the meanwhile I can make map replicas for soldat...
Actually I'm making a map for the very game, see this....

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 02:35:26 pm »
If you wanted to have GIANT maps, yet fast gameplay, do this: Set Flame God boxes to spawn only in bases, maybe one place in the middle, and make the flamer backshoot shotgun pellets, which will boost you. Call it a jet pack maybe?

Offline SebaSOFT

• Major(1)
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 07:44:13 am »
Skykander made the wift mod for ETQW in Soldat, so I won't do any maps until he decides whether to sink the mod into the limbo or reviving it.