Author Topic: swimming  (Read 8596 times)

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
Re: swimming
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2010, 04:46:06 pm »
Actually, I'm neutral here.
I don't take form CS, it's a suck ass game.
And to me slow bullets sound hella boring.
(Water's supposed to slow down bullets real bad).
b&

DarkCrusade

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2010, 04:51:08 pm »
If the water slows down players the next logical step is slowing down bullets, too.

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2010, 04:57:47 pm »
Seriously guys, an air meter?  When you have a perfectly good health bar already?  Umm, I'm not much of a coder but I'm sure you could cook up something along the lines of "If player d*cks around in water for over x amount of time, players health goes down at a rate of y".  And to the "water is too complex, soldat is a simple game!" arguement: Where do you draw the line of simplicity?  I'm sure movement accuracy and bink leave some players scratching their head, so let's just get rid of those too, and why not gravity as well.  Hell, we don't need gosteks either, red and blue blobs work just as fine.  Simple doesn't always mean better, and we should not be afraid to try new things for the sake of keeping soldat that way.  The mapping community would keep the negative aspects of water polygons in check - who the hell would play a map where the efc can simply hide underwater until his team gets the flag back?  Mappers aren't that stupid... I hope.
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2010, 05:02:37 pm »
Well, there could be some kind of countdown above the gosteks head. A player could stay only 15 seconds underwater, then he needs to catch fresh air again.

Offline Mr. America

• Soldier
  • Watch out for the blablabla!
    • My arcor homepage. There are just my maps.
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2010, 05:52:29 pm »
@DarkCrusade: Sry about my bad english, with bubbles i meant spheres of water. And imagine a pretty normal map with lots of open space filled with big "bubbles" here and there. Would be interesting...

DarkCrusade

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2010, 06:09:10 pm »
Ah, okay, you inspired me for an awesome idea :)

Mappers shall have an option next to opacity how fast a player gets inside of a polygon with vertex options. A solid polygon would have a value of 0. A polygon that works like a doesn´t collide polygon would have a value of 100 (here you get an option for multiple polygon types like polygons that don´t collide but hurt / kill / set on fire). Those water bubbles you were talking off could be nicely done with a hard core that is a little teleporter and around it polygons that let the player get near to the core slower (outside value of 75, inside of 35 for example) and then you get boosted outside. This would not only be nice for bubbles but in general for maps with open room.

And this all with that goddamn water polygon idea.

Offline the halo fan

• Camper
  • Mustly the heat of battle is just the begining
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2010, 06:43:53 pm »
Does this idea really disperses 3 pages .... heck most of your guys are still talking about CS i personally think this should be a poll for and easy yes and no quick answer im not sure if this really need 3 pages of posting and pulse how to be so sure that the game makers of soldat will put water in the game if you want water so bad and a lot of people like the idea find a way to contact the makers of  soldat and point them to this forum topic .... lol it works in the movies :P

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2010, 06:51:26 pm »
sure that the game makers of soldat will put water in the game if you want water so bad

No.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2010, 06:54:31 pm »
It seems like you don´t know the bid developer, EnEsCe is watching the forums.
There is no need to contact "god".
Soldat is often compared to CS or other third party shooter games since it has similiarities with them.
There was a discussion on water polygons that you should read carefully before posting that stuff here.
Movies don´t show you the reality. Reality shows you what could be with movies.

EDIT:

No.

Just my thought, lol.

Offline Mr. America

• Soldier
  • Watch out for the blablabla!
    • My arcor homepage. There are just my maps.
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2010, 06:58:50 pm »
Tell me DarkCrusade, did you actually read More polygon properties from L[0ne]r ? There are posts from you within the thread, but it's just amazingly weird how you just mentioned your awesome newly invented polygontype...?

btw, Reality is just bad television.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2010, 07:31:55 pm »
My awesome newly invented polygontype? I just had an idea what could be added and I forgot about that old topic.

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2010, 08:15:12 pm »
I love how something worthwhile gets suggested, but you all bicker like schoolchildren until the idea can't be taken seriously anymore.  Stop the madness. :'(
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline TheWind

• Major
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2010, 04:56:04 am »
f11, it would ruin soldats main idea :S

DarkCrusade

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2010, 07:42:47 am »

And that is?

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2010, 08:53:02 am »

Not swim?

This polygon type could be more universal, acting as a player slowing one when the player is inside it (just like you can enter the doesn't collide polygons /only bullet collide polygons). When a player enters this polygon, he is influenced by weaker gravity, affecting objects as well as bullets. That way, it won't only be a swimming polygon.

A countdown wouldn't be necessary as you could make the bottom polygon hurting or just make the inside of the "swim" polygon damaging over time.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 11:03:29 am by Horve »

Offline CrayAB

• Soldier
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2010, 10:46:51 am »
This is a terrible idea. Why are you guys arguing over it?

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2010, 10:47:53 am »
This is a terrible idea. Why are you guys arguing over it?
Because it's not a terrible idea?

Offline CrayAB

• Soldier
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2010, 11:03:33 am »
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=7292.0

Map Format Destructible terrain, liquids, VEHICLES, mobile polygons (these would require a gigantic map format change as already covered above, they would be huge changes to gameplay which would not only disgust many current players but probably result in more glitches, etc.)

I'll just leave this here.

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2010, 11:07:33 am »
liquids and swimming are different things. Find your way out, please.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2010, 11:12:15 am »
liquids and swimming are different things.
That's not very clear, but I know what you mean.
I'll rephrase that:

We're talking about slightly different things here. We're not talking about a whole liquid physics system with waves, overflowing puddles, rivers, floating objects and all that.
We're talking about simply polygons, inside which players moves slower. Water is just one of the things that could be simulated with these kinds of polygons.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 11:24:57 am by L[0ne]R »