Author Topic: Is the developement of this game still alive ?  (Read 37555 times)

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
Re: Is the developement of this game still alive ?
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2010, 05:08:23 pm »
http://enesce.com/lockerz/lrc/

really?! this is what enesce has been working on for the last months?? some crazy lockerz hack s**t? (I admit I don't really know what it does since I only know about lockerz from wikipedia and some blogs.)
according to this thread development of this tool/service started on march 2010. last soldat beta build was release on may 2010. then he disappeared from soldatforums and mantis. would be interesting if MM already knew that.

I really don't understand why enesce didn't say anything according to the change in his development-focus. for example that he needs a break from developing "time consuming spaghetti-code game". but that he still cares so he asks other developer to continue the work. that would be the appropriate way you handle such a situation imo.
for me it looks like he really doesn't care anymore. but since he doesn't want to look stupid he just stopped the communication and hoped the community wouldn't care. I think one reason is also the decreasing income he had with the servers (at least I think so). so he searched a new way to earn money...

let's hope that MM finds some new developer(s) (someone pls contact shoozza) - making soldat opensource will be overkill imo.

edit: take this post by the developers of teeworlds (a "similar" game) as an example how to do it the right way and handle such a situation where you have less and less time to focus on your game.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 05:24:30 pm by Illuminatus »
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2010, 05:27:11 pm »
wow 324 pages on that topic .. just read trough it and you wills see tons of guys who bought it. I guess it is something illegal here thats nothing honourable
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2010, 06:20:25 pm »
I really don't understand why enesce didn't say anything according to the change in his development-focus.
The answer is simpler than you might think: he's just a bad developer. Enesce has zero communication or leadership skills, something that's integral to being a developer. If Soldat continues to be in his hands, it will continue to decline. The end.

making soldat opensource will be overkill imo
Not at all, but we've been over this topic before.
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Offline scout

• Camper
  • Wolverine does'nt have nothing on me now!
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2010, 07:19:04 pm »
Meh, he should just get himself a well paying job while hes at it, at least its much better than selling hacks online.

Offline Michal Marcinkowski

• Creator of Soldat
  • Flagrunner
  • I ain't got time to bleed.
    • Soldat home page
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2010, 11:25:03 pm »
Hey,
I haven't read the thread. Just wanted to say that we agreed with EnEsCe to release 1.5.1 as quickly as possible with disabled Portal functionality cause that isn't finished and was lagging the development significantly. As far as I know just the dedicated server needs to be compiled on linux. After 1.5.1 is out I will make further announcments for Soldat's future.

Offline filip2322

• Major
  • Gray
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2010, 11:28:53 pm »
Yeah ;D  ;D
Imperare sibi maximum imperium est

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2010, 01:49:30 am »
Please, read the whole thread...
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline Spi.deY

• Major
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2010, 03:06:48 am »
Hey,
I haven't read the thread. Just wanted to say that we agreed with EnEsCe to release 1.5.1 as quickly as possible with disabled Portal functionality cause that isn't finished and was lagging the development significantly. As far as I know just the dedicated server needs to be compiled on linux. After 1.5.1 is out I will make further announcments for Soldat's future.

Nice one ! But moreover :

Please, read the whole thread...

And look @Enesce's answers..

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2010, 04:07:40 am »
Remember that we need a Soldat without bugs (most important: "fps lock bug" ) and improvements on balance, graphics, netcode and the general code itself.
I think that you (Michal) can get some money with Soldat, not exactly with accounts payments (isn't the reg) and it could help you back to the development, maybe with a team (1- Shoozza is a good guy and he like the Soldat, 2- VirtualTT. I don't know why this dude isn't doing something in Soldat yet!) like the Urban Terror squad, they do a wonderfull job and you haven't things to lose trying. Better than see one of my favorite games dying.

This game continues very attractive for kids/new players. You're wasting that potential.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 04:12:22 am by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2010, 07:33:56 am »
Hey,

worsest news i have ever heard.. i guess the portal was the thing which was most work but if this is not still finished after such a long time i got to ask myself what has taken that long. The new Soldat v. without Portal would be so gay..
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

DarkCrusade

« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2010, 08:02:04 am »
Portal is what we need the least.

Offline RafiPZ

• Soldier
  • You can't spell awesome without ME!
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2010, 08:02:58 am »
Hey,

So the portal will be completely out including player's tagid?

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2010, 08:06:46 am »
Step 1. Balance weapons, add new maps, fix minor bugs.
Step 2. ?
Step 3. Profit
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2010, 08:28:23 am »
Step 2. ?
Step 3. Profit

Bullshit.

Step 1: Fix known bugs, add features requested by the community and update WM.
Step 2: Release.
Step 3: Repeat quarterly, i.e. every 3 months, 4 times a year.

In case of broken versions, release a patch as quickly as possible. Develop in small increments. Release early, release often.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2010, 08:37:51 am »
@MM: Pls take half an hour and read this whole thread.

The new Soldat v. without Portal would be so gay..

No, it wouldn't. At least we would have one polished v1.5.0. Don't forget that EnEsCe indeed did fix many bugs and made some changes aside from Portal.
I'm just mentioning the imo most important ones (from the complete changelog for v1.5.1.13 plus the changes from build 14 and 15):

Fixes:
- Fixed player names being invisible on F1 list [finally! so we don't need to use shoozza's chatmod hack]
- Fixed "Crouch Float" bug
- Fixed LAW and M79 exploding on yourself instantly after picking up while punching. [I've always hated this one]
- Fixed InterfaceText/Image custom resolution scaling
- Fixed custom maps not downloading Textures or Edges from server
- Fixed Jetpack sparks appearing in Realistic mode when the enemy player is not visible
- Fixed a bunch of corrupt network packets, resulting in them being dropped or
 doing funky things [zomg! netcode improvement?!]
- Fixed reg star appearing for bots and players who aren't actually registered
- Fixed Access Violations and Corrupt Data occuring when recording/playing demo's
 recorded with Soldat 1.5.0
- Fixed Players with Predator being visible to new players that join after
 they obtained the Bonus
- Fixed Registration Star on F1 menu not appearing while using default
 jet flame colour
- Fixed Soldat Installer will set correct file write permissions under
 Windows Vista / 7
- Fixed editing a maps background colours and not getting kicked
 for wrong map version.
- Fixed Spas12 reloading while firing no longer allows infinite shots
- Fixed online bots flying up into the air when spawning with a Parachute
- Fixed Spectators no longer have the "dead" player marker next to their name

Modifications
- Modified changing mouse sensitivy ingame now increases/decreases by 1% per
 button press rather than 5%
- Modified Dead/Spectator players in Realistic mode can not use freecam.
- Modified Dead players can not spectate other dead players in Realistic+Survival
- Modifier players can not see enemy team chat in Realistic mode if the enemy player is not visible
- Modified Team Bink is now reduced by 50% when Friendly Fire is disabled.
You will get no Team Bink at all if you are not moving
- Modified Score Board (F1) has been redesigned for team-based game modes
- Modified Score Board (F1) can now be scrolled up/down (only if required) by
using the Page Up/Down keys. An arrow will appear on the right-center side
 of the board if scrolling is available
- Modified Weapons Menu will now only display non-default values (on Mouse Over)
 if joining a Weapon Mod server
- Modified pressing escape while typing will now clear chat buffer

Additions:
- Added ability to paste IP:Port/Pass formatted strings into the IP field of the
 Join Game tab. soldat:// URL's are also supported
- Added 8 new Polygon types: Only (Team Colour) collide Polygons, and Only
 (Team Colour) + Enemy Team Bullets collide Polygons.
- Added Polygon type: Exploding Polygon.
- Added Polygon type: Hurt Flaggers.
- Added Polygon type: Only flaggers collide.
- Added ingame Weapon Statistics for Registered players
 (Press F2 while in the F1 menu)
- Added "Offline/LAN Mode" for playing Soldat multiplayer with no connection to the
 Internet.
- Added Score Board (F1) will now display the current Server Name at
 the top left corner
- Added Score Board (F1) will now display the "Server Info" message
 under the server name
- Added bots now have a unique icon appear in place of their ping in the scoreboard

And also the server-updates (2.7.0a -> 2.7.0b) and (2.7.0b -> 2.7.0c).
So, pls don't forget the time EnEsCe did develop quite heavy on this "spaghetti-code" and when we could communicate nicely on the bugtracker. Not that I'm defending his missing communication with the community but still we have to esteem his work.

I hope this release won't get rush to much - take one week to get everything together:
- the new maps
- the redesigned maps (which maybe replace some old ones)
- the old map fixes
- the new weapon config

Hm...but since we have the auto-updater these could of course also be added after the main-release.

Still I really hope for a new developer - either together with EnEsCe or instead of him who will use the updater frequently. It's there for a reason, use it!
Now let's all hope for better times and that we won't get disappointed again (according to the early release-date and the further development of this still f**king amazing game Soldat).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 08:39:41 am by Illuminatus »
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2010, 09:08:37 am »
Step 2. ?
Step 3. Profit

Bulls**t.

Step 1: Fix known bugs, add features requested by the community and update WM.
Step 2: Release.
Step 3: Repeat quarterly, i.e. every 3 months, 4 times a year.

In case of broken versions, release a patch as quickly as possible. Develop in small increments. Release early, release often.

I was using the underpants gnomes episode of South Park to make fun of this "dilemma."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-eak9Jz3_k
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2010, 09:59:19 am »
Hey,
It's nice to finally hear some more-or-less "official" news about the game's status, but unless something changes in the way development goes - the release of new version won't do much. It's only a matter of time until it comes to this again.

But I'll just hope for the best...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 10:01:33 am by L[0ne]R »

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2010, 12:51:30 pm »
Hey,
It's nice to finally hear some more-or-less "official" news about the game's status, but unless something changes in the way development goes - the release of new version won't do much. It's only a matter of time until it comes to this again.

But I'll just hope for the best...
Yay portal is delayed, so I will be downloading the new version. Good to hear of some actual progress.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2010, 02:31:11 pm »
I suggest you just rip all the portal code out and fix the bugs before doing anything else.
There are other worlds than these

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2010, 06:17:29 am »
I suggest they better fix this game before the players fix him up.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!