Author Topic: Is the developement of this game still alive ?  (Read 37700 times)

Offline PQ

• Camper
  • Charge!
Re: Is the developement of this game still alive ?
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2010, 07:19:06 pm »
the current sctfl is the worst in soldat history obviously. 85% of the daily discussions are about hackers and stuff.
i dont get it why neither EnEsCe (who is responsible for the CURRENT status of soldat) nor MM ( who still got the power about it) cannot use 30 mins to read the whole thread, to think a while and find a solution by giving a more than 2 sentencese text.
Reading this topic won't get soldat 1.5.1 finished. + I can remember a whole lot of sctfl's where everything was about hacking as well. Just to let you know, 1.5.1 is not going to keep the hacks away.
It's just that MM was stupid enough to promise us a new version.

The new version won't change a thing, there are probably even more bugs than in the current one. At least, you will only notice new bugs and forget about the bugs you got used to. Remember the good old time? The time where you were used to all soldat bugs. (..)

Didn't we all have projects which we stopped cause we got bored?

The only thing they're doing wrong is telling us something is coming 'soon'. But anyone who didn't get used to that hasn't played soldat last 6 years. (6 versions in 6 years including 3 fixes in 4 months cause of some f**k-ups)
MM is usually revealing details about the new version 3 weeks after the release and then telling something to come soon 1 month later. The actual release is usually around 10-18 months later.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 07:20:39 pm by PQ »
#2Wai.soldat @ quakenet.org Soldat's heaven

Offline X-Rayz

• Camper
« Reply #121 on: October 18, 2010, 06:31:41 pm »
You know, I used to think that BattleEye didn't do anything, but man, I miss it. Hackers don't even care these days if there's well known, respected players in the server. They used to at least stay out of the main servers and stick to inf. I see like 5 hackers a day now.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2010, 10:59:46 am »
Hacks are easy to deal with, just release a new version and none of the hacks work. Every single time Soldat is compiled, the hacks stop working and require some work to get them working again. Every programmer knows this. You do not need any anti-cheat protection in a game if you have solid releases every few months. Anti-cheat stuff is useful only if the same release is supposed to be floating around for ages, like Soldat versions currently are.

It's just the irony of fate that it's EnEsCe who should learn some R-E-S-P-E-C-T.(As Myron puts it in Fallout 2. ;), I'm not sure if EnEsCe is influenced by Myron or the other way around...)

The sad thing is that Soldat will not evolve from here as long as EnEsCe is in charge. Everybody knows this, even MM and EnEsCe himself.

I've said this numerous times before: The only way to get Soldat's popularity to a rise is active development. Solid, stable releases and united community are the key to success. So why not? Why do the developers want to release huge monolithic releases with near-hundred items in changelog every few years, actively postponing bugfixes to even the most irritaring bugs which directly cripple gameplay (Maps in 1.4.2, Deathmatch bug in 1.5)?

In the end nothing is going to change. I said that over 3 years ago, and here we are, wrestling with the exact same problem. Soldat will be the same shit in 2013, unless people start to ACT!
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Leo

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2010, 11:15:12 am »
Hacks are easy to deal with, just release a new version and none of the hacks work. Every single time Soldat is compiled, the hacks stop working and require some work to get them working again. Every programmer knows this. You do not need any anti-cheat protection in a game if you have solid releases every few months. Anti-cheat stuff is useful only if the same release is supposed to be floating around for ages, like Soldat versions currently are.

It's just the irony of fate that it's EnEsCe who should learn some R-E-S-P-E-C-T.(As Myron puts it in Fallout 2. ;), I'm not sure if EnEsCe is influenced by Myron or the other way around...)

The sad thing is that Soldat will not evolve from here as long as EnEsCe is in charge. Everybody knows this, even MM and EnEsCe himself.

I've said this numerous times before: The only way to get Soldat's popularity to a rise is active development. Solid, stable releases and united community are the key to success. So why not? Why do the developers want to release huge monolithic releases with near-hundred items in changelog every few years, actively postponing bugfixes to even the most irritaring bugs which directly cripple gameplay (Maps in 1.4.2, Deathmatch bug in 1.5)?

In the end nothing is going to change. I said that over 3 years ago, and here we are, wrestling with the exact same problem. Soldat will be the same s**t in 2013, unless people start to ACT!
Are you serious ? People that make hacks ARE fast. There can be a bypass 2 days after a release. And then what ? You wait months for a new release to fix the hack that already worked all this time ?

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2010, 11:35:24 am »

I'm with you on all the other stuff you wrote but this is just totaly wrong. If you are actively developing and releasing versions of the game why shouldn't there be a developer who actively maintains his hax? And believe me, it's often like that. Especially for the paid hacks who deliver some sort of "warranty" if the hack doesn't work anymore. People are actually making money by this model.
So there definitely is a need for some anti-hack-solution. Not to cure the hax-problem, because no game is 100% hack-proof. But to make it harder for the hack-developers. Yes, it will become some cat-and-mouse-game and maybe the hacker will be encouraged to get his hax work again - but that's how it goes on in multiplayer-gaming nowadays. Using accounts to identify and bind the player to some specific copy of the game is another idea (like Steam does it or the Portal-idea, which I still advocate).
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2010, 11:47:06 am »
I´m still waitig for some PROPER reply of EnEsCe and of MM.
Maybe they dont take this situation serious enough but they really should.
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Stuffy

• Soldier
  • Very stuffy.
    • Climb-Zone Forum
« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2010, 12:12:51 pm »
I´m still waitig for some PROPER reply of EnEsCe and of MM.
Maybe they dont take this situation serious enough but they really should.

Why should they? Whats the worst thing we can do? Stop playing soldat? I guess only 50% of all the people in soldatforums still play soldat every day. And the most people are not even registered here. So we have to hope for their grace, which really pisses me off.
The truth is out there? Does anyone know the URL?
The URL is here

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2010, 01:19:47 pm »

In the end nothing is going to change. I said that over 3 years ago, and here we are, wrestling with the exact same problem. Soldat will be the same s**t in 2013, unless people start to ACT!
Are you serious ? People that make hacks ARE fast. There can be a bypass 2 days after a release. And then what ? You wait months for a new release to fix the hack that already worked all this time ?

Let them be. How is that a problem? Why wouldn't the Soldat's developer be faster? There are hacks, and there will always be hacks. I'd say that if it takes 2 days to get around a bypass, they're quite slow. :)

However, there is no reason to start hacking a game when you know your hack will become obsolete in matter of months, if not weeks. Then you need to do most of the work again. It's a completely different story to start scanning tens of addresses, than to take a new recipe out from the book and implement it. The way the hacks work and bypass the anti-cheat protection isn't anything new. Hackers just copy other hackers' ideas and implement them to their hacks and it works. Cool.

Right now, a hack which was working when 1.5 was released still works. And will work until 1.5.1 is released. Then you need to redo most of the work to get it working again.

I'm with you on all the other stuff you wrote but this is just totaly wrong. If you are actively developing and releasing versions of the game why shouldn't there be a developer who actively maintains his hax? And believe me, it's often like that. Especially for the paid hacks who deliver some sort of "warranty" if the hack doesn't work anymore. People are actually making money by this model.
So there definitely is a need for some anti-hack-solution. Not to cure the hax-problem, because no game is 100% hack-proof. But to make it harder for the hack-developers. Yes, it will become some cat-and-mouse-game and maybe the hacker will be encouraged to get his hax work again - but that's how it goes on in multiplayer-gaming nowadays. Using accounts to identify and bind the player to some specific copy of the game is another idea (like Steam does it or the Portal-idea, which I still advocate).

Portal system doesn't change a thing in regards of hacking. Besides, the most frustrating thing about games is the need to create an account. I'd say it's a definite step backwards for Soldat.

Even if 1.5.1 had perfect weapon balance which everyone agreed upon, fixed every single bug, had perfectly balanced maps, it wouldn't turn Soldat's current nosedive to a rise. Far from it. No one bothers playing a game which isn't actively developed. People should just learn how to let go and let Soldat die, obviously the glory days are long gone now.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline scout

• Camper
  • Wolverine does'nt have nothing on me now!
« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2010, 02:11:07 pm »
There, he said all of it. Key words - There isn't going to be another Soldat version if the current developer isn't doing crap about it.

I rest my case, Soldat is dead in my eyes. I can hardly even touch a modding project nowadays. Why bother anyways?

Offline xmRipper

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • Personal
« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2010, 02:12:44 pm »
(...) After 1.5.1 is out I will make further announcments for Soldat's future.
Yeah it should be open source, there are lots of people that would do this development for FREE.

*cough*
The comments in this thread are a prime example of why development on this FREE, time consuming spaghetti-code game has progressively gotten worse.

---
(go shoozza go)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 02:16:14 pm by xmRipper »
Co-Founder / CTO @ Macellan
Founder Turkish Soldat Community

Offline Rotem

• Major
« Reply #130 on: October 19, 2010, 03:14:18 pm »
why not using PB for soldat instead of BE?

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #131 on: October 19, 2010, 03:39:06 pm »
you're gonna pay for it?
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline xmRipper

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • Personal
« Reply #132 on: October 19, 2010, 04:48:44 pm »
why not using PB for soldat instead of BE?
How MM can pay PunkBuster while he can not even afford BattlEye.
Co-Founder / CTO @ Macellan
Founder Turkish Soldat Community

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #133 on: October 19, 2010, 06:10:50 pm »
Quote from: EnEsCe
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=38999.0 There we go, please help em

I love how Enesce's stayed clear of this thread.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #134 on: October 19, 2010, 07:19:12 pm »
Quote from: EnEsCe
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=38999.0 There we go, please help em

I love how Enesce's stayed clear of this thread.
there is no evidence that it was really him and i HOPE so but still this situation is so fucked.
EnEsCe is not even replying properly as a developer should do, and MM is not reading this Thread and does not act.
Instead of reading this thread  and find a solution he is philosophising about Windows and Linux ( http://mm.soldat.pl )
The only ones who keep that game running for a long time is the community.

i´d like to suggest to everyone here to just message both of them in every kind you can do as they will not do anything about it else.

Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #135 on: October 19, 2010, 11:17:46 pm »
i´d like to suggest to everyone here to just message both of them in every kind you can do as they will not do anything about it else.
Yeah, I'm starting to think that mass community rage spam directly to NSC's and MM's email/twitter/blog/whatever is the only thing that might actually work.

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #136 on: October 20, 2010, 12:44:11 am »
Let them be. How is that a problem? Why wouldn't the Soldat's developer be faster? There are hacks, and there will always be hacks. I'd say that if it takes 2 days to get around a bypass, they're quite slow.

However, there is no reason to start hacking a game when you know your hack will become obsolete in matter of months, if not weeks. Then you need to do most of the work again. It's a completely different story to start scanning tens of addresses, than to take a new recipe out from the book and implement it. The way the hacks work and bypass the anti-cheat protection isn't anything new. Hackers just copy other hackers' ideas and implement them to their hacks and it works. Cool.

Right now, a hack which was working when 1.5 was released still works. And will work until 1.5.1 is released. Then you need to redo most of the work to get it working again.
I'm trying to figure out why you say first that 2 days is a long time to develop a hack and then that there's no reason to hack a game when it will become obsolete in a matter of months

I've programmed for hours to get something I use for 5 minutes, that's a damn good return on investment there

The idea that shuffling a binary around every couple weeks (forcing users and servers to patch as well) is sufficient for preventing hacking is really, really dumb
Understand that I don't think you're dumb Clawbug but that ``protection" is a joke
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Offline vehicledestroyer

• Soldier
  • I'm a Soldat freelancer, and I'm Looking for work.
    • Crash Commando Kings
« Reply #137 on: October 20, 2010, 12:48:08 am »

Yeah, I'm starting to think that mass community rage spam directly to NSC's and MM's email/twitter/blog/whatever is the only thing that might actually work.

I think the exact opposite. Though, desperate times do call for desperate measures. But now is not "desperate". It's defiantly critical times, but let's not go crazy. I say 'Shut The F*** Up' until 1.5.1 (or 1.6?) is out and MM has made his announcement "about the future of Soldat" -MM. Then we can have our inter-web riot, and you can BET I'll be there destroying cars!!
I am a Soldat freelancer. I'm looking for projects and I have some of my own. I'm ready when you are...
My Projects:
Soldat weapon Factory 1.1
A community appeal
GTA II Mod

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #138 on: October 20, 2010, 01:59:15 am »
Let them be. How is that a problem? Why wouldn't the Soldat's developer be faster? There are hacks, and there will always be hacks. I'd say that if it takes 2 days to get around a bypass, they're quite slow.

I'm trying to figure out why you say first that 2 days is a long time to develop a hack and then that there's no reason to hack a game when it will become obsolete in a matter of months

I've programmed for hours to get something I use for 5 minutes, that's a damn good return on investment there

The idea that shuffling a binary around every couple weeks (forcing users and servers to patch as well) is sufficient for preventing hacking is really, really dumb
Understand that I don't think you're dumb Clawbug but that ``protection" is a joke

i'm no programmer, but this sounds good to me

hypothetically, what if there was an automatic way to shuffle a little part of the code everyday just to make the hacks incompatible. The change would be so small that users would update (automatically) their client in seconds, for example while viewing lobby

Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #139 on: October 20, 2010, 03:45:15 am »
[quote author=Clawbug link=topic=38999.msg477998#msg477998 date=1287512387
hypothetically, what if there was an automatic way to shuffle a little part of the code everyday just to make the hacks incompatible. The change would be so small that users would update (automatically) their client in seconds, for example while viewing lobby

That would take years to do...if not never.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!