Author Topic: Soldat now and tomorrow  (Read 63705 times)

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
Re: Soldat now and tomorrow
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2010, 11:34:09 am »
Wow... what a shit load of bullshit... all this arguing and carrying on about MM and obligations etc...

Can I just point out, Soldat lost it's popularity a long time ago. There are a few of us that still hang on, because we believe in the game. I've stopped playing, due to the excessive hacking and shit... so I don't know how much my opinion is worth here... but:

MM is the creator. It's his baby. He made a living off it... and then walked away. He left it in the hands of a developer who wasn't dedicated, who caved under pressure and resigned. He's come back now, to clean things up. Might I say, a bit late... but I guess it's better late than never.

How many people play Soldat these days? Do you honestly think getting new Devs behind the game will actually bring the players back? Will it really be worth it? MM, I think you need to find another way to support yourself... because Soldat won't keep you afloat for much longer.

Releasing source code may actually help the game, but the risk comes along that some other wannabe will come along and use the code to make his own version of Soldat. This turd will then sell his game to a big name developer and make his millions. Then what happens? Or, some other turd comes along... takes Soldat and adds cars and tanks to it, and ports it to Xbox live or some sh!t... Do you want the game to come down to this?
If you go this route, just release parts of the code.

I say, let the game die... or figure out some way to get the players back. Sell it, or advertise the fuck out of it... Make it worth your while. But be prepared for the day when Soldat eventually dies.
Just another soul to burn.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2010, 11:46:20 am »
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy are you still here :|||||||||||
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2010, 02:39:10 pm »

he's the only one who can do something right now. And if he doesn't, this game will die completely and his only source of income will be cut off.

I'm sure of that. But do you think rushing him any further would actually make a difference? think about it. its his decision that counts. Not yours.
You're right it's literally impossible to influence someone else's decision and thus we should just shut up and be passive about it

Actually, influencing someone's opinions and decisions is the easiest thing in the world, it's only impossible on the internet.
b&

Offline scout

• Camper
  • Wolverine does'nt have nothing on me now!
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2010, 02:47:00 pm »

he's the only one who can do something right now. And if he doesn't, this game will die completely and his only source of income will be cut off.

I'm sure of that. But do you think rushing him any further would actually make a difference? think about it. its his decision that counts. Not yours.
You're right it's literally impossible to influence someone else's decision and thus we should just shut up and be passive about it

Actually, influencing someone's opinions and decisions is the easiest thing in the world, it's only impossible on the internet.

That's exactly my point.

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2010, 02:47:53 pm »

His name says everything - he's collecting bones left after decaying soldat.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2010, 04:31:46 pm »

(he was being sarcastic)

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2010, 07:29:58 pm »
How many people play Soldat these days?
*click*

some other wannabe will come along and use the code to make his own version of Soldat. This turd will then sell his game to a big name developer and make his millions. Then what happens? Or, some other turd comes along... takes Soldat and adds cars and tanks to it, and ports it to Xbox live
Bullshit. Won't happen. We would have at least two popular forks. I actually think it will be just one, like the following scenario:
- The original game maintained by some/one old Soldat lover(s).
- One fork which has the above version as the coding-basis plus some added new features and maybe other big changes like more weapons, better graphic-effects, etc.

I say, let the game die... or figure out some way to get the players back. Sell it, or advertise the f**k out of it... Make it worth your while. But be prepared for the day when Soldat eventually dies.
I show you the "way to get the players back":
- Get (a) new developer(s).
- Release a new version which shows some great amount of bugfixes.
- People gonna try it out and perceive the potential it has.
- Now with regularly updates the game will live along.
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2010, 09:27:37 pm »
I show you the "way to get the players back":
Indeed. Even that small glimpse of hope in form of MM's post made me want to play again... a little.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2010, 03:39:37 pm »

(he was being sarcastic)

Exactly, I was supporting him.
b&

Offline whitdemon

• Major(1)
« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2010, 08:16:56 am »
Lurker here for EONS... soldat nickname Mox[PT]

I think many of you are misjudging MM intelligence, for real... this Soldat problem isn't new... its symptom weren't new or hidden... as a game soldat is dead already... you reap what you sow (you didn't want to deal with it)... i just hope LD have as much success as soldat or even more, coz soldat(as it is) has gone byebye... likewise my faith in you as a developer (i know it means shit, but im just letting you know)

I hope for yourown sake that you learn with your mistakes, like i hoped to learn with this one

my 2 cents were given...
In the end there can be only one!!!

used to play as MoX[PT]

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2010, 08:28:52 am »
It's not dead, look how many players circulate through soldat everyday.. It's dying, not dead.
But people start to lose their interest, when same version is staying and isn't developed. You were really generous, BTW. This pay-what-you-want is a bad thing people can pay just 2 cents as Mister whitdemon did.

I drawed a little map. It shows how people active to new version. It's bad map, I know..
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline MattH

• Flagrunner
  • It's a real burn, being right so often.
« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2010, 08:53:00 am »
Did you just pull that graph out of your hat, or is it ACTUALLY based on real figures?

Offline whitdemon

• Major(1)
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2010, 08:58:46 am »
Did you just pull that graph out of your hat, or is it ACTUALLY based on real figures?
out of his pooper... simply another insult to soldat memory

@Monsteri misinterpret my comment isn't gona help you making point...
In the end there can be only one!!!

used to play as MoX[PT]

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2010, 09:26:20 am »
I could say the same to you.

I've been watching this space, hoping for a day to come when we can actually see hacks being blocked and the game is playable again.

You could say I'm plankton, I just wanna see something happen with the game to stop the arguing and bitching..

Bulls**t. Won't happen. We would have at least two popular forks. I actually think it will be just one, like the following scenario:
- The original game maintained by some/one old Soldat lover(s).
- One fork which has the above version as the coding-basis plus some added new features and maybe other big changes like more weapons, better graphic-effects, etc.
The fact is, we already have that. We have Soldat, and we have OpenSoldat. Do we really need more?

show you the "way to get the players back":
Hmm, the first suggestion is where we are stuck right now.
The second one is also one we're stuck on... the same goddamn thing we've been stuck on for many months.
Yea... they may try it out, but I think the ship has already sailed, hit an iceberg... and is sinking. Show me a bunch of people who are willing to patch the holes, help get the numbers back up... and I'll believe that this game has a fighting chance.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2010, 10:31:39 am »
The fact is, we already have that. We have Soldat, and we have OpenSoldat. Do we really need more?

In fact oS is "dead". I put that in quotes, because Shoozza is taking a break until he feels he's really capable of writing a whole new game. Read more here.

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2010, 10:49:38 am »

In fact oS is "dead". I put that in quotes, because Shoozza is taking a break until he feels he's really capable of writing a whole new game. Read more here.
...and so we're left with just Soldat.

Where is MM?

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2010, 12:15:43 pm »

...and so we're left with just Soldat.

Where is MM?
Counting moneyzzzz. Seriously, he's actively working on LD. It entered open alpha stage (or something like that) - where to test unfinished game you have pay MM what you can afford just to get binaries. Of course it don't assure you of getting full version - for this you will have to pay separately.

EDIT: Writing "full" I meant "finished" after alpha, beta and RC stages...
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline PQ

• Camper
  • Charge!
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2010, 02:11:32 pm »
Lol, MM released an LD beta and he thinks we'll pay for it.

I think he deleted my comment at his blog. It was like "SCAM ALERT, do NOT pay! He might stop developing ANY DAY!" haha
I wonder how many people registered soldat last months when he announced to do a special register thing cause 1.5.1 was 'almost coming'. Pure scam
#2Wai.soldat @ quakenet.org Soldat's heaven

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2010, 02:23:34 pm »
It's an enlightened guess I base to my experiences. I have played soldat soon 7 years, and I have seen that I don't find so much servers, or full of them after long time from newest soldat version. So when new version is released, I soon find more players on servers. THAT'S WHERE I BASED THAT MAP
Sorry if I'm insolent.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2010, 03:18:41 pm »
@Monsteri: Basing a map off experience is like so inaccurate. Seriously.

@PQ: Money spins the world, right?