Author Topic: Using old [non-reg] interfaces with 1.7+  (Read 6461 times)

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
Using old [non-reg] interfaces with 1.7+
« on: November 20, 2015, 01:14:11 pm »
Since some people told me they had trouble using old interfaces made for non-regged users in Soldat 1.7.0 I will explain you how to fix it:

What has changed:
Since 1.7.0 the default interface (in Soldat\interface-gfx) has a higher resolution, to be exact its resolution is 4.5 times higher than before.
There now is a mod.ini in Soldat\ main folder. In there you will find a line saying "DefaultScale=4.5" which basically tells Soldat that it has to "shrink" the image files 4.5 times in order to keep all elements in place.

Problem with old interfaces:
If you copy an interface and overwrite the files in \interface-gfx folder (like you do it with interfaces made for non-regged users), some or all elements are most likely to be really tiny and in the wrong place. Why? Due to "DefaultScale=4.5" Soldat displays the elements of your interface 4.5 times smaller (than what you expect/are used to).

How to solve the problem:
Solution A: The dirty way - quick but in old Soldat 1.6.9 quality
1. Backup your current Soldat\interface-gfx folder.
2. Delete all content in your current Soldat\interface-gfx folder.
3. Download interface-gfx[base].zip* [Mirror] and extract all files to Soldat\interface-gfx.
4. Copy all files of your desired interface to Soldat\interface-gfx and overwrite existing files.
5. Open Soldat\mod.ini: Add the line "interface-gfx=1" and delete the line "interface-gfx/cursor.png=10".
*This is a copy of 1.6.9 interface-gfx, with DefaultScale=1.

Solution B: The proper way - HD quality but laborious
1. Backup your current Soldat\interface-gfx folder.
2. Make all* graphical elements of your desired interface 4.5 times bigger (e.g. if nade.bmp is 10x10, you have to make it 45x45 pixels). Note: This is the labor-intensive part since these elements would lose quality if you simply scaled them up. You will most likely have to redo or at least modify them. Hint: Plain, edgy elements can be enlarged by using Photoshop -> Ctrl + Alt + I => 450%, choose "Nearest neighbour" as resampling method.
2b. If your desired interface uses .BMP files either convert them to .PNG or delete all existing .PNG files in Soldat\interface-gfx which would interfere with your .BMP ones (e.g. your interface has health.bmp, delete health.png in interface-gfx folder; if your interface does not have dot.*, then do not delete dot.png in interface-gfx folder etc.).
3. Copy your HD-version of your desired interface to Soldat\interface-gfx and overwrite existing files.
*You don't necessarily have to do this with ALL files: You can save time by retaining some of the current interface-gfx files like deaddot.png, dot.png and others. I recommend, however, to do step 2 at least with the following files: ammo.bmp/png, fire-bar.bmp/png, fire-bar-r.bmp/png, health.bmp/png, health-bar.bmp/png, jet.bmp/png, jet-bar.bmp/png, nade.bmp/png and reload-bar.bmp/png.

Done? Share it with others!
If you have made an old interface ready for 1.7+, please share it with others: Upload your updated version to the original interface thread here in the forums. (like I did with "Vista Aero")

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 07:18:32 pm by CCalp »

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
Re: Using old [non-reg] interfaces with 1.7+
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 01:48:31 pm »
Can we please sticky this? Thanks

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 02:47:44 pm »
Updated the instruction to work properly with latest version (Soldat 1.7.0).

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 04:17:30 pm »
There were also a number of alignment changes made to default interface, so image dimensions and positions have changed.
I've attached a "classic" Soldat v1.6.9 interface with necessary adjustments made, so you can use it as a template.

Edit: There were a few mistakes in the previous zip so I removed it. Here's an updated version.

Inside there's also 3 black .bmp files - Ammo, Health and Jet. These are just placeholders because they're required for properly positioning interface elements. (Hopefully that'll get fixed soon). For now just keep those black files in the interface folder, but use .png files with the same name for actual graphics.

Moderated: Merged posts. [Calp]
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 07:19:49 pm by CCalp »

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 07:05:04 pm »
There were also a number of alignment changes made to default interface, so image dimensions and positions have changed.
I've attached a "classic" Soldat v1.6.9 interface with necessary adjustments made, so you can use it as a template.

Thank you, I added your zip to first post.

Offline Inoxidavel

• Major(1)
  • Inoxidavel
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 03:15:34 am »
What's the procedure to fix the registered interfaces?
I scaled up my crosshair 4.5 times but it only works if I paste it in the unregistered interface folder.

Offline Ygrek Starmagedon

• Soldier
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 02:23:17 pm »
What's the procedure to fix the registered interfaces?
I scaled up my crosshair 4.5 times but it only works if I paste it in the unregistered interface folder.
Tried just disabling interface scalling? I'm pretty sure this is what made it work on my side. (unless I totally forgot wtf I did to make those work XD) Kinda late, I know, but not looking at this forum much since there's no spam anyway