Author Topic: SOLDAT 1.7.0b1 beta release ready for testing!  (Read 19698 times)

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
SOLDAT 1.7.0b1 beta release ready for testing!
« on: November 30, 2015, 12:54:58 pm »
Hi Community!

We have another test version for you this time it is a beta!
This time without a OSX server build because I currently don't have access to my old mac.
We will have two more betas after this one and then there will be two more release candidates and the final release after that!

Stay tuned and check out the changelog for more information ;)

You can find the download links at the end of this post.

Soldat 1.7.0b1 changelog:
- Added Mipmap_Bias and GL_Finish experimental configs
- Added file logging for graphics related stuff
- Added 4K UHD sceneries - default crates, boxes, bunkers and more
- Added 4K UHD soldier graphics
- Added 4K UHD grenades
- Added overlay.png to interface-gfx which is now used for bonus kit screen effect (flame god, predator, berserker)
- Modified bonus overlay to use a separate overlay.png image
- Modified default explosions, fire and smoke: slightly better quality + transparency
- Modified weapon icons, weapons-gfx and sparks-gfx: removed green screen, upscaled by 4.5x and converted to .PNG
- Modified custom interface loading to fallback to default images when they are missing
- Modified mipmaps are generated only when they are needed
- Modified OpenGL initialization to used fixed pipeline fallback only when programmable pipeline fails
- Modified mipmap generation code to workaround ati/amd driver issues
- Modified resolution setting to use desktop resolution when it's set to 0x0
- Modified soldat window to be topmost while it's active so it stays above taskbar
- Modified map textures and edges to be loaded from png file if available
- Modified error message for graphics initialization failure
- Modified text input handling to translate to unicode if necessary
- Modified screenshots to be taken with internal render resolution instead of final resized one
- Modified interface bars to have the old 'shrinking' behaviour for non-default custom interfaces
- Modified gostek-gfx - head and hands are now grayscale for better customization
- Modified gostek-gfx - Mr.T hairstyle is now grayscale for better customization
- Modified skin colors to match new soldier graphics
- Modified removed old .BMP weapon icons, weapons-gfx and sparks-gfx, gostek-gfx and objects-gfx
- Modified removed unused graphics from interface-gfx, objects-gfx and gostek-gfx
- Fixed interface graphics being loaded every time game starts
- Fixed negative interface bars
- Fixed gap in default interface's fire-bar at high resolutions
- Fixed Mr T hair was using SkinColor instead of HairColor
- Fixed parachute so it doesn't break in half after being dropped
- Fixed oversized objects-gfx
- Fixed minimize at startup issue

Soldatserver 2.8.0b1 changelog:
none

Normal mode weapon changes:
 none 

Realistic mode weapon changes:
 none 

Map Changelog
- Fixed texture stretching on non multi-textured maps

ctf_Viet
========
Polybugs:
- Fixed movement polybugs
- Fixed nade/flag polybugs

ctf_Maya
========
Polybugs:
- Fixed movement polybugs
- Fixed nade/flag polybugs

Downloads:
Soldat 1.7.0b1 Full
Soldat 1.7.0b1 Patch (for 1.7.0a3 only)

Server 2.8.0b1 Full
Server 2.8.0b1 Patch (for 2.8.0a3 only)
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Re: SOLDAT 1.7.0b1 beta release ready for testing!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 01:36:39 pm »
There is a bug in config.exe when the Adapter setting is missing (was removed in this test release)
[GRAPHICS]
Adapter=0

Add it after the [GRAPHICS] line and config.exe should work again.

Alternatively get the fixed config.exe from this post.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 02:12:35 pm by Shoozza »
Rules

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 03:15:39 pm »
Good update! I think that the soldier's body intersections could be improved. I can see each part, especially the knees and arms.
When you're looking to the right side, the nades are in the middle of your body. Is that right?
The facial contours could be stronger. Sometimes there's no contrast and you "cant" notice the face very well.
Looks like the soldier has a tiny belly and a huge butt/thighs. Nah?

More weird things: http://i.imgur.com/4lCD1Gx.png
L[one]r is working at the weapons gfx? I can't wait!! :D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 03:30:25 pm by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline Mayhem

• Major(1)
  • 2005 - 2018
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 04:30:45 pm »
IMO the face should have more details and should be also more human because it looks like a pig's head a little.

I agree with this.

Anyway, good job ! ;D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 03:12:17 am by Mayhem »

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 04:48:45 pm »
@MrHamsTR: mind testing if you still have issues with the text on this version? (I couldn't reproduce the problem you seemed to have on the chat, but still made some changes that might fix it)

@Akinaro: I'd like to know if soldat now works on the netbook where it was failing

Anyone else who finds problems running the game: please, enable file logging (Logging=1 in soldat.ini) and paste/attach the resulting log which you can find in logs\log.txt
urraka

Offline Savage

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 05:23:23 pm »
On all 1.7.0 versions I hear my fans works very loudly, I decided to check it by HWiNFO and i saw almost 60% CPU usage on first core and 40% in overall ;/

My CPU: i5-4590

My settings
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 05:26:44 pm by Savage »

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 05:42:39 pm »
Savage: what FPS do you get with that setup? For some people vsync doesn't seem work, in which case it will leave FPS and cpu usage unbounded. If that's the case you should just disable vsync, which will limit cpu. The thing is that when vsync works there is no need to limit CPU since it should just lock to refresh rate, and if I limit cpu while vsync is working the timing ends up completely fucked up.
urraka

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 05:47:12 pm »
great job thanks keep it up =)
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 06:21:22 pm »
About the gostek hands:

It's time to draw the hand like a hand instead of a circle?
Being a circle is not a bad idea, but few details like the fingers's contours could improve it?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 06:27:31 pm by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
Awards

Offline Savage

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 06:21:57 pm »

1.7.0b1

No VSync

VSync

FPS Limit

FPS Limit+VSync - FPS limit is set to 0 but if i change it to 60, 75 or 300 cpu goes high
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 06:33:12 pm by Savage »

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 06:35:12 pm »
The high cpu is because we have no sleep() call when vsync is on without fps limit. Is it a problem? no vsync and no fpslimit will draw as much as possible so no surprise.
Rules

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 06:55:14 pm »
The flag should be placed on player's back instead of at the same hand he's pulling the trigger.
Makes more sense, nah?

(current position)
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
Awards

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 07:00:29 pm »
Thank you very much for your work. Really looking forward to 1.7 becoming final.
Here's my bugreport/suggestion post again...

(1)
- Modified soldat window to be topmost while it's active so it stays above taskbar
<- still does not work for me. when I start Soldat taskbar is topmost. However, if I collapse taskbar, start Soldat, press F9 on start screen, expand taskbar, select Soldat icon, then I have Soldat in fullscreen on top of taskbar (this workaround also worked in a3 already).

(2)
- Modified removed old .BMP weapon icons, weapons-gfx and sparks-gfx, gostek-gfx and objects-gfx
- Modified removed unused graphics from interface-gfx, objects-gfx and gostek-gfx
<- Would it be possible to remove such files also with patching?

(3) Start screen: "Profile" not fully shown -> http://abload.de/image.php?img=workspace1_059b7uy5.jpg

(4) GUI menu: Use the whole screen for [START GAME], [OPTIONS] and [PLAYER] menus, right now it's like that: http://imgur.com/a/JYIlO | only "JOIN GAME" window uses the space properly

(5) Time left: Allow the timer to be shown separately, not only with showing the whole scoreboard via F1. Better: Make timer an interface element which can be placed with the interface itself.

(6) Start screen: Switch the size of the "OK" and "EXIT" buttons (i.e. make the "OK" button as big as "EXIT" button is right now, and vice versa)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: Some issues might be wine-related (see setup below).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Setup:
- Machine: Lenovo Laptop with
Processor       : 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Memory       : 3990MB (2353MB used)
Operating System: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Kernel                : Linux 3.13.0-66-generic (x86_64)
- Graphics: Integrated Intel HD 3000 & dedicated graphics card AMD Radeon HD 6650M
Display Resolution: 1600x900 pixels
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: fglrx,intel
GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon 6600M and 6700M Series
GLX Version: 4.4.13374 - CPC 15.20.1013
- Wine: Wine 1.7.54 (64bit) via PlayOnLinux 4.2.2, Windows version: XP

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 07:03:34 pm »
Savage: the results are kind of confusing, but there's something else to consider when comparing with 1.6.9: the whole game used to be rendered at low resolution (480p) and then upsized to the window size. Now, when you pick 1080p it will actually render at that resolution, so it will be doing more work. That should be mostly GPU work though, but I don't know how video drivers work internally.. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more cpu load aswell.
urraka

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 12:00:29 am »
@Mayhem, duz: Thanks a lot for the feedback, it's really helpful!

IMO the face should have more details and should be also more human because it looks like a pig's head a little.
I was kinda thinking the same but wasn't sure if it was just me. I'll try to improve it.

I can definitely make the belly a bit bigger and I'll see if I can do anything about thighs/legs. I made them that way because that's how they were on the original soldiers, and I didn't want to experiment too much just yet, but I agree that these areas could be improved.

Quote from: duz
Good update! I think that the soldier's body intersections could be improved. I can see each part, especially the knees and arms.
When you're looking to the right side, the nades are in the middle of your body. Is that right?
More weird things: http://i.imgur.com/4lCD1Gx.png
Those are problems with soldier skeleton and the way images are positioned (based on their top-left corner rather than center). That's why many things are positioned differently depending where you're looking, and also why bodyparts appear weird and detached. Unfortunately it's not something I can really fix, but hopefully urraka/PerroAZUL can get to it in the near future. Though from what I heard, soldier code is a huge bowl of spaghetti that hasn't been touched for a long time, so it'll probably take awhile.

It's time to draw the hand like a hand instead of a circle?
Being a circle is not a bad idea, but few details like the fingers's contours could improve it?
I actually tried that, but problem is - both hands use the same graphic. So when I added details - it looked like the soldier had two left hands or two right hands, and it looked really weird. I can add more details if each hand is given a separate graphic, but to be honest, I don't think detail is really needed there.

L[one]r is working at the weapons gfx? I can't wait!!
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm not sure if I'll be touching weapons just yet. :/ I might start working on them but they probably won't be included for a while because of image alignment issues I mentioned earlier. If I were to keep weapons properly aligned - I'd have to cut off anything above the barrel, which means no sights or scopes of any sort. For now I plan to focus on sceneries, medkit/grenade/bonus kits, and tweaking the soldier. I'll work on weapons too, little-by-little and try to at least do things that will work properly (knife, rambo bow, bullets, muzzle flashes).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 12:03:07 am by L[0ne]R »

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 12:48:44 am »
GUI related changes are low priority so don't expect changes. The other tabs don't stretch because i didn't feel like i had a good solution for them.

From my understanding additional time left on screen would add another thing that clutters the screen space (you already get timer info in the console for important timer events.

We will have to look into the topmost issues ;)

The patch could remove them, but then what if you have modded interface?
Rules

Offline Hubiq

• Soldier
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 03:57:09 am »
Wow, This version is really good!  :o A completely different quality of playing. 0 lags and frame-rate drops. Textures are smooth. I'm just waiting for the full version  ;D

Weapons settings will be changed in full 1.7.0? You promised to do something about Barrett! (bink, start-up or delay?) I am asking for it for a year... maybe longer   :'(

Offline Savage

• Soldier
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 08:45:33 am »
I made 2 screenshots in the same time with F4 and Print Screen button, results are completely different and Print Screen is a lil bit weird ;d

F4

Print Screen

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 08:48:45 am »
From my understanding additional time left on screen would add another thing that clutters the screen space (you already get timer info in the console for important timer events.

One simple solution to this would be changing the ALT+F3 texts:

urraka

Offline MrHamsTR

• Soldier
  • One day, everything will end..
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 10:19:57 am »
I made 2 screenshots in the same time with F4 and Print Screen button, results are completely different and Print Screen is a lil bit weird ;d

F4

Print Screen

I think it's about buttons, prtscrn is used by directly cpu with windows cmd but f4 is used by firstly game cmd --> windows cmd
Is there anybody can write script?
Good, go and play soldat ^^