Author Topic: ctf_CobraR (ctf_Cobra visual remake)  (Read 12659 times)

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
ctf_CobraR (ctf_Cobra visual remake)
« on: September 12, 2016, 09:07:57 am »
What the title says. Same layout, no changes, just a visual ones. U can comment using "Reply" button on the right C:
Might make some tweaks in the future still. In-game/obj screenshots attached. U can compare with the default Cobra: https://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=37169.0

Offline Petterkowski

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
Re: ctf_CobraR (ctf_Cobra visual remake)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 10:17:53 am »
that is a nice remake, Viral. that cartoonish style took me by surprise. very good work, we should start the competitive tests on there

Once more into the fray...
Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
Live and die on this day...
Live and die on this day...

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 10:28:06 am »
From what I've heard after quick pool, people don't really like the theme, so I don't know if it's event worth it. I think they would rather see something more similar to the old one. It was a test and i think it failed, maybe in the future I'll make sth like the Division remake that seemed to be what was epected by the rest of the community

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 11:47:21 am »
I like it way more than the current Cobra. Nice to see different themes.
If I were to say anything bad it would perhaps be that when the sandbags are replaced with red squares it's not that obvious that they are coliders. It's also a bit flat and has some badly placed scenery

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 01:31:50 pm »
I thought the color would make it actually more obvious they are colliders, as they stand out more. About the other two issues - well, my bad i guess :d

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 07:25:34 am »
Well they are red and flashy but they doesn't look like anything particular. With sandboxes or barrels I guess I naturally assume they are coliders. Besides, you would recognize sandboxes and barrels from other maps, and remember that they are colliders.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 07:27:30 am by homerofgods »

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 07:52:56 am »
U need exactly one game/nade to notice it's the collider, so i don't find it misleading, and it fits the theme i aimed for way better than boxes and barrels. They stand out from the rest, so u can expect from them to carry a special function. I might aswell write on each polygon what type it is, so it's obvious. I agree it's less noticeable, but i don't really think it's a bad thing in that case (~just like i dont find naming polygons necessary), if u cath my drift, yo C:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 07:59:38 am by Viral »

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 08:49:31 am »
You're a beast. Awesome work!

Refs: Happy Tree Friends and Teeworls? :P
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 10:42:59 am by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline soldat-game

• Camper
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 02:26:41 pm »
Only devs and ur friend commend good.

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 06:54:53 am »
@duz, nice to hear somebody likes it! :d I guess the rest didn't watch enough cartoons :d

@soldat-game, I've made this map all by myself, without corresponding with the rest of the mapteam. Also, if u accuse the devs on taking sides, i can quote helloer's comment on my map: ~"Shit". Judging by different opinions i certainly won't try to force this remake through and even at this point I would probably stand against it. I hope this answer satisfies you, although I'm not concerned you will understand more than the quote i brought up.

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 08:28:31 am »
I think people would like these layouts more in a new map - not a remake of an already existing one. I must admit I kinda like these graphics but I wouldn't sacrifice such a goldie as Cobra to see it in Soldat.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 03:06:23 pm »
great job and i usually love your work viral but i just don't think the cartoony style fits soldat very well

i also think all of the maps should have a similar style just with different themes

Offline Moroes

• Soldier
    • Soldat-Game.eu
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 03:47:09 am »
Hello, my friend.

I like your map desings and you never dissapoint me. It doesn't matter if you pick any style for a climb map tho but I guess the default ctf maps might need different approach. I think you should preserve its style, the colours and overall look but you can always add the cool shading, colour layers and other details but keep the map close to the original, that means simple, without any distractive elements. I like maps like ctf_Division, bit of shading and its nicely coloured spawns, maybe it could be even more fancy :D.

I am happy with any style of yours but I guess you should keep similar style for all the default maps, the style soldat is heading for which is actually unknown (or isn't it? :P). Same goes for map dimension/structure. I guess people are  used to all the curves and they know their trickshots or running paths. Ofc I am not against smoothering maps, that's pretty important too.

It's a tough job and I believe you will do just fine. I think gather/sctfl and other active players are the ones whose opinion matter the most.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:50:07 am by Moroes »

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 06:59:34 am »
Thx for the feetback :3 I'll make sure to take it into account in the future! C:

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 01:59:19 pm »
It's certainly unique, no doubt about that. I'm really not a fan of the style though, or rather - the style doesn't seem to be well fleshed-out. Terrain is bright and cheerful, but background is very dark and gloomy, which doesn't mesh well together. Overall I think it could use a bit more detail and contrast, and some basic shading.

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 01:23:49 pm »
you're great :*

Offline Slasher

• Soldier
  • Peace
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2016, 02:36:17 pm »
Good idea,the graphics are very good!  :D

Make love, not war.

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2016, 12:39:59 pm »
I really don't understand why this is disliked..(according to the majority)

I mean come on.. get real, has anyone seen the original Cobra? It has graphics from the 90s..I'm actually surprised it isn't even in black & white.

But seriously though, stop fooling yourself that this is bad or ugly comparing to the original Cobra.
I actually wonder who those people are that share these opinions, because they clearly have no clue what they're talking about.

I agree for some part that cartoonish-style does not fit soldat very well, but hey anything that's better then the original should not be stomped upon.
Besides, the last time we had an active map-team was quite a while ago.. at least motivate them instead of just randomly spout anything that pings in that tiny brain of yours..

OT: I like it obviously, its a bit different from standard and might actually make things fun.. I would say give it a try and wait a while until people adjust to this. (Not saying every map should be like this though)

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2016, 03:42:32 am »
I like it, let's do this heh!

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2016, 10:26:49 am »
Just to clarify, this is Viral's personal project. It's not indicative of the graphical style we're heading for in 1.8.
Sorry if I'm insolent.