Author Topic: Devlog update (2018-03-07) Some progress, more info coming soon.  (Read 6763 times)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Apologies, I fell into the procrasturbation trap and the gap between dev logs grew wider than it should've been. I'm starting to see the issue with trying to post devlogs when there's little to post about and why previous devloggers, at times, chose radio silence instead. Devlogs are supposed to be important, exciting, informative, but when there's none such things available to write about - making a post out of crumbs only tarnishes the name of devlogs as a whole, and makes you not look forward to the next ones as much.

So from now on, I'll only post devlogs when there is some progress and/or announcements, or if not - at least some communication once a month at the minimum.

That said, hopefully the wait won't be that long.
Stay tuned for more info from MM, as mentioned in his post from a different thread in case you missed it:

Hey everybody,
I'm sorry I can't give any official announcement at the moment. For the past 2 weeks I've been talking with Shoozza and a few others from the community. I'm trying to get to know everybody's perspective.
For me, the best solution at the moment would be for Shoozza to continue development and release Soldat on Steam ASAP. We still need to figure out some problems and maybe I can say more about an official decision. I'll try to respond next week.
Thank you everybody for participating in the argument, I'm trying my best to figure this out. I know Soldat is a great game and deserves a great future. But it is a problematic child for me :). So things take time and I don't want to make haphazard decisions, which I've made in the past and I want to avoid that. I'll have more info next week.
Peace <3

There has been some progress on 1.7.2 as well:

- Fixed limit max download size to 300mb

- Fixed limit downloads per file type to specific folders

- Modified removed leftover ssz download extension support

- Did some minor code clean up

- Fixed a memory leak

- Modified minor refactor

- Helped Fryer get soldatserver to compile for linux. Fryer is looking into the log flood issue
 If you need a workaround just disable logging or redirect to Dev/null

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
Re: Devlog update (2018-03-07) Some progress, more info coming soon.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 01:57:58 pm »
Well no one really expect form dev logs to be 100 pages of amazing things. Those seven points you mention are enough for most of us to see that someone do something, so its not like we need to demand even simple comment from main dev for whole damn month, just to see if he is just pissing on us and game pretending to be dead when people ask hard question.

Also devlogs dont need to contain only list of changes. It should be place for actual devs to comment on game situation, sharing their ideas, discuss problems they facing in current work, maybe even ask for suggestions/help.

As for really bad made MM "post".
Its really sad that owner of game that was falling apart for years in front of him need even more time to decide about future of his own child. Its literally look like he seriously didnt saw that coming and MM just month ago woke up and saw what is going on... Like seriously, you had all time in the world to plan future of product that put you where you are now.
Looking how much potential Soldat have, I would literally spend every day, even 5min to just fallow what is going on and what people need and think. In such situation is a matter of finding balls and make decisions.

You will never get perfect balance and time for such things, you decide and just fallow your decision.
- If you want to keep it in current state of lazy development and release another rushed and unfinished update just for sake of Steam... Just decide.
- If you want to make it open source, just decide, write about strategy and proper plan that you post, not hide from community, and fallow it until game will be ready to be released as OS.

And being afraid of hackers if you release OS Soldat? for F sake AAA games with all their money have this problem, you will not find solution for that, closed like now or open, hackers will be here. And just like some people afraid that they will make quicker and more advanced hax if its  OpenSourced... its going to go other way too: People will be able to fix it quicker, find new solutions for it, fix it quicker...

As for update it self:
Seriously stop that nonsense of releasing 1.7.2 just for sake of Steam... In current state Soldat will hit the bottom, you will not new player base that solda need so much. You will get initial hype, and just like with recent HD update, players will disappear after month or two. Because most of them will be old players who just checked their old good game to see if anything changed.

You dont have any advertising strategy for soldat, how would you encourage new players to play it? By saying that its "classic"? Players on steam have thousands of games, if they dont like one they immediately go to another, better one.

Soldat in current stage will scare away new players, not because of obvious graphic, but because of lack of any modern features like global/local statistics, matching, annoying setup and lack of many smaller options(for example tounts that you literally need to manually edit).

There is no single reason for releasing it on Steam unless you want to just get rid of it and pray that it will get some attention... Please start treating it as a proper game, as a product that you sell/give, even in cost of advertising or paying(but not that idiotic way as now, but proper way where money go to development/advertising and player get proper things for those money.)

Offline You Got Served!

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 04:22:57 pm »
Thanks for the update, Loner.

There are people who appreciate your time, so keep it up.

Also, cheers for the heads up about the log flood exploit!

My laptop is broken & with limited capability on my phone I was unable to discern the nature of the issue. As a result one of my servers had been down for a few days.

All sorted now thanks to that bit of info - big love <3

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 04:05:15 am »
*still looking in here once in a while*
Greetings from the warm South (Canary Islands) and much love to you guys!!

Offline Savage

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 04:42:38 am »
I'm starting to see the issue with trying to post devlogs when there's little to post about and why previous devloggers, at times, chose radio silence instead.

I would love to see devlogs with only 1 change like: fixed netcode, built-in matchmaking, new gui, steam release - everyone of these is worth more than fixing 100 minor bugs (guess I've figured out Shoozza's secret).

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 03:11:15 pm »
I would love to see devlogs with only 1 change like: fixed netcode, built-in matchmaking, new gui, steam release

Those things take time, and very likely (especially in the ambiguous case of "fix netcode") would not be done all at once but would be incremental changes over time. Additionally, all those bug fixes pave the way for easier code changes moving forward.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 03:28:44 am »
Those things take time

Nice... Soldat had those problems for years. And for years we all knew that one day Soldat will need some serious work to gather new players and fit to the market.

Even MM him self told us that:
For a long time my number one priority for Soldat was to get it on Steam

If he really wanted to release it on steam "for long time", long time ago devs would work on what they work now, and right now it would be a matter of polishing game for release, not creating rushed update just for sake of steam

Even famous spaghetti code cant be reason why for all those years it was not fixed and prepared.
Time have nothing to do here, because you had all time in the world to fix it.

If any person responsible for developing Soldat tell me that game is really ready for Steam release  with such problems with netcode, not so appealing look and lack of so many features needed in online game, you are just liars.

Offline paintZoom

• Major
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 03:24:16 am »
im starting to wonder if "devs" want to fix the "eat" bug
like serious is an interesting thing that after all this time theres no effort put on it (atleast gameplay doesnt show any improvement on it)
atleast try a workarround if u cant fix
for example : player get shot..and does detect it got shot.. because it spawns the blood effect or the velocity impulse in case of explosives
so how come it does detect and trigger those and doesnt trigger the damage..
could you somehow manage to connect the triggers of the effects/velocity and the damage  based on if those "appeared" or "changed"(velocity)

im not a coder but some shit fix like (if spawned wounded fx = 1 then apply damage )
i mean the trigger and detections for those kind of things work Nicely (bloodsplats) so why no connect the damage register to those detections..

on the other side of this .. based on my experience as player "eat" bug seems a bit related to "input" pretty much everytime u ate u where performing an input (not all the times but most of them) at the same time server was gettin/displayin the game
a some sort of "parry" u can tell this because sometimes u can predict the "eat" and do it on purpose ...

Offline soldat-game

• Camper
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 06:55:48 am »
My research shows that "hits" is not on the server side. Try me flash script server see hitbox good and good send information feedback at possition bullet object but on client be send bad cord or delays.

One could add a player's blocking / freezing system as in many games it is after exceeding the appropriate ping level. So that the player is frozen in a position to puki does not receive all the packages.

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 07:57:31 pm »
I don't know why you keep mentioning netcode as a crucial thing to fix. This is top priority for the competitive players, for sure, but distant for new players.
Like jrgp said, it would take a long time to fix. Devs should use this time to make Soldat acceptable for the new audiance.
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 01:44:53 am »
Do you really think someone will play a shooter game where half of your hits doesn't matter? I admire the current competitive scene for their dedication, because I can't imagine playing any of the shooting modes even 50% seriously with this netcode

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 07:40:29 am »
My guess is that blood splatter is client side, not server side.

Drawing lines between points of a bullet arc every frame instead of making circled colliders along the bullet arc, would increase hit registration for fast traveling bullets, like barrett. I imagine it'd also fix the issue with ruger registering as head shots when shooting from below.

The client should have some more restrictions or needing to send information about the player movement. As I understand it, the issue is that the client applies the velocity change from the nade hit immediately. Because the player has moved away from the nade, as stated in a packet to the server, the server no longer sees the collision between the player and the nade.
If clients could know themselves that the velocity they gained was caused by a nade, and the distance to that nade, they could then tell the server that they moved because of a nade hit. The server could then do something about it. Maybe ommit the movement change to compare arcs, to then apply the damage the player would've received.

Whenever a nade bounces the server should tell all clients it's velocity and bounce angle, that way all clients are in sync so you can actually dodge nades bouncing around.

Or do really good syncing, but I think that's harder.

Offline soldat-game

• Camper
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 10:10:22 am »
Do you really think someone will play a shooter game where half of your hits doesn't matter? I admire the current competitive scene for their dedication, because I can't imagine playing any of the shooting modes even 50% seriously with this netcode
22.7% *