Author Topic: swimming  (Read 8594 times)

Offline mich1103

• Flagrunner
  • Did you say chocolate ? O.o
    • ZoMbIe-DeStRoYeR pk server
swimming
« on: March 03, 2010, 09:22:21 pm »
ive seen in a couple of map that some people put a scenery to make false water
and make it hurt . why dont make water , the gravity will be the same as the true water and a animation will be repeat to swim ^^

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
  • Put your farts in my pussy
    • LOLOKAUST MSPAINT PLEASURE POND
Re: swimming
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 02:20:10 am »
This wouldn't be bad, but I'm afraid people here are afraid of anything that requires effort in coding.

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 04:17:20 am »
Water? So many new mapping options...
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

DarkCrusade

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 06:52:20 am »
No. For the sake of Soldats simplicity.

Offline TBDM

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 07:26:21 am »

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 08:33:00 am »
Water would be useful in thöörms of balancing routes, if you want some of them to slow people down.
And TBDM, in Soldatforums you either breath heavily or not at all. I mean, stop spamming you fucker.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 03:27:35 pm »
That's exactly what I thought too, but then someone mentioned Quake...
Don't know if you played it, but it had water and yet this game is extremely simple (not even nearly as complex as Soldat).

Liquids won't hurt Soldat at all. On contrary - they'll add some variety (but NOT complexity) to gameplay and allow creation of some really interesting maps.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 03:29:20 pm »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 03:31:52 pm »
Soldat is simple. You don´t have like 20000 different weapons, no third dimension. Stuff. And Soldat doesn´t need it.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 03:36:12 pm »
Soldat is simple. You don´t have like 20000 different weapons, no third dimension. Stuff. And Soldat doesn´t need it.
Liquids are simply areas with different gravity. They won't allow any new crazy features, they'd just slightly change the way you move.
There are things that are way more complex. Liquids are not even close to what you just mentioned.

Besides. Soldat already has physics, ballistics, jets, realistic mode, you can only carry 2 weapons, etc. You have to admit that Soldat is not as simple as you think. And it never really was (except only a few very first versions).

Other than Quake - there are many other examples: Half-Life and many of its mods and add-ons, Doom series, Unreal, Unreal Tournament (1 and 2003). Imagine those games in 2D and you'll see that they're much simpler than Soldat.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 04:01:51 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 04:02:13 pm »
People are always afraid of everything new. Darkcrusade too, hes a soldat veteran and has 15 years of experience with
every gimmick and tweak under control to the knowledge of every last detail of psysics and polyworks/maps geography.
Adding something he is not aware about, and thus would subjucate him to the same stantard as noobs when it comes to water
is out of question! While hes trying to give us this impression, deeply inside he doesn't really have any idea of what
he is talking about.

I'm propably first who's telling you this, but youre right. Soldat doesnt need 3D dimensions or 20000 weapons.
But what does that really have anything to do with water? I'd be happy to hear your reasoning on why "complex as water"
would be bad. And you know, Soldat is propably the most complex 2D shooter game in the whole universe already as it is.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 04:05:07 pm by smiluu »

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 11:18:31 am »
Add a polygon type that allows for adjustable gravity, or full up/down/left/right movement control. That would work right?

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 02:15:07 pm »
Add a polygon type that allows for adjustable gravity, or full up/down/left/right movement control. That would work right?
Totally. In fact, this will be a much more "flexible" solution that will allow making more things than just water. I had a similar idea which I suggested in this thread long ago:
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=35344.0

But in addition to that, there would need to be some minor changes to controls. More specifically - "jump" should change to "swim up", and "crouch" to "swim down" when you're inside liquids.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 02:18:54 pm by L[0ne]R »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 02:51:20 pm »
I laughed when you said I wasn´t opened for new things, Smiluu, since you and Horve awfully hate every new map introduced to Soldat. Where does this mindchange come from? I´m interested.

But just in a way.

I don´t like the idea of floating in water when there are jets and stuff.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 03:01:55 pm »
I don´t like the idea of floating in water when there are jets and stuff.
"Jets and stuff", can be replaced with one word - gravity. Sure it might seem enough, but again - floating in water instead of falling down to ground can add a good bit of variation to gameplay.
It's not like water will be a major part of gameplay, but I'm sure it'll make maps more interesting.

Yet another example: even some of the original Mario Bros games had water levels. ;O

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 06:30:20 pm »
I laughed when you said I wasn´t opened for new things, Smiluu, since you and Horve awfully hate every new map introduced to Soldat. Where does this mindchange come from? I´m interested.
You should understand the difference between unwelcome crap and something that would be a potential newness.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 06:37:42 pm »
You should understand the difference between unwelcome crap and something that would be a potential newness.
It's all a matter of taste. As you can see for yourself - there are people who see things the other way around - map remakes are considered as "newness", while new features are seen as crap. Some people like both, some - neither.

So let's not focus on what we like or don't and think of what is actually good for the game.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 11:27:33 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 07:03:38 pm »
I guess some people find water very difficult to comprehend, and imagine in a game. They'd need a f**king manual giving guidelines on how to interact with such an immensely difficult element. As soon as you add water to a game, BOOM, a nuclear holocaust happens and you're suddenly immersed into the world of incomprehensible complexities that would eventually force you to shoot yourself in the face with a shotgun while hanging upside down from a reversed (satanic) cross nailed to it by your feet.

Sarcasm aside, I can't see how water could do any harm to Soldat as an additional feature.

splash Soldat with water and it won't lose it's virginity and simplicity, unless it's hydrophobic like some members (= slang for male genitalia) around here.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 11:33:33 pm by Horve »

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 11:15:32 pm »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 01:53:07 am »
I don´t like it anyway. Don´t blame me for having an other opinion than you.