Author Topic: swimming  (Read 8607 times)

Offline Mr. America

• Soldier
  • Watch out for the blablabla!
    • My arcor homepage. There are just my maps.
Re: swimming
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2010, 11:23:52 am »
F12. I'm not too keen on waterphysics too, I'd rather want what he already suggested in that old thread.

Offline CrayAB

• Soldier
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2010, 02:24:27 pm »
liquids and swimming are different things. Find your way out, please.
Oh, I forgot, water isn't a liquid. LOL

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2010, 02:41:01 pm »
Add a polygon type that allows for adjustable gravity, or full up/down/left/right movement control. That would work right?
^^^^THIS^^^^^^
We already have gravity scripts, so it wont be to hard to code it into a polygon type.
I will not be ignored on this matter, which seems to happen alot when a few people with a bit more sway start saying things. Out of everything brought up in this thread, no one has suggested another way to do it apart from mine. So maybe rather then arguing we discuss more on how it can be done.

Ok, I think that got a bit screwed. Yes we want liquids, which will allow this. Yes this appears to be a direct violation of what not to suggest. But they want liquids, to be able to swim in, and as loner said, not an entire new set of world physics. That clear enough?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 02:45:56 pm by Shard »

Offline CrayAB

• Soldier
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2010, 03:37:12 pm »
Still a bad idea.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2010, 04:18:08 pm »
Get out fro crying out loud.
I want my 2D grunt to crawl through mud, dive through water, and push through swamps.
b&

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2010, 04:34:27 pm »
Still a bad idea.
Oh yes. I love your reply, so full of detail and insight. Any other thoughts you care to churn out? Or did those 4 words exhaust your vocabulary?

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2010, 09:45:28 pm »
The liquid mentioned in that thread means actual particles moving, bouncing off each other and the map, so for instance rain would collect in depressions and run off hills.

Water polygon is just a name given to this suggestion as it is a good way to describe how the polygon acts in relation to players/objects/bullets.

Also, not everything on the do not suggest list is absolutely never going to be implemented (such as accounts, new polygon types(only flagger, alpha collides etc.)), except for things with flashing lights around them i.e. vehicles. Going further, it is still a good idea to bring up so called "don't suggest" items, as peoples views change and new things become possible.

Unless you have something to add to your "This idea suckz" and "Still a bad idea":
Find your way out, please.

I think this is a great idea, especially having adjustable properties to simulate various viscosities, slow-mo maps/rooms would be interesting.

Ok I am done for now.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2010, 11:00:23 pm »
You should understand the difference between unwelcome crap and something that would be a potential newness.

You should understand the difference between being a pretentious prick who has nothing better to do than pick a map that has nothing to do with this topic, rag on it as being unwelcome, then make some ultimate "point" by referencing this rehashed topic as some "potential newness".

i.e. You're a prick, and you get a warning for it.  Choose your arguments a bit more wisely next time. *

Personally, I can't see any point to slowing the game down any more.  Even with mapping possibilities.  See how fun your water polys are when they're the most heavily camped spots in maps due to sluggish gravity.

* You've been warned so many times, it seems useless at this point.  Stupid to warn you again.  GTFO for a while.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 11:16:38 pm by The Geologist »
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline CrayAB

• Soldier
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2010, 11:50:43 am »
The liquid mentioned in that thread means actual particles moving, bouncing off each other and the map, so for instance rain would collect in depressions and run off hills.

Water polygon is just a name given to this suggestion as it is a good way to describe how the polygon acts in relation to players/objects/bullets.

Also, not everything on the do not suggest list is absolutely never going to be implemented (such as accounts, new polygon types(only flagger, alpha collides etc.)), except for things with flashing lights around them i.e. vehicles. Going further, it is still a good idea to bring up so called "don't suggest" items, as peoples views change and new things become possible.

Unless you have something to add to your "This idea suckz" and "Still a bad idea":
Find your way out, please.

I think this is a great idea, especially having adjustable properties to simulate various viscosities, slow-mo maps/rooms would be interesting.

Ok I am done for now.
This idea suckz

Offline scout

• Camper
  • Wolverine does'nt have nothing on me now!
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2010, 12:37:02 pm »
Can it CrayAB, if you don't have any constuctive comments about such an idea other than saying what you hate, please leave.

Water polygons, i support. But it needs balancing against campers- like me
Ontopic-
On the suggested feature of slower bullets, yeah i support that. If not, why not slow bullets down till the Soldat can actually 'dodge' it?- screw realism for such a minor feature like this, Soldat's a game.

Adding to slowing bullets, decreased range and damage? For example, bullets flying in normal airspace have 100% damage and range capabilities. in water however, damage is decreased to a fraction of that damage/range. (Ive had my fair share in swimming in Farcry2, and i must say the water implementation is awesome, even if i get hit by a sniper ,I would still have a chance to get out of the water, and punish him.)

Final idea is to slow down the weapon fireinterval.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 12:39:22 pm by scout »

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2010, 01:23:29 pm »
This won't work. Simply put.

If the developers of soldat are unable to code a game that is less bug free than it's current state, how do you think they would code a water simulated physics engine into soldat? Whether it is incompetence, difficult, or plain laziness to fix the hard coding of this soldat is left unto your interpretation. But the physics of players swimming(or gravitized simulation for that matter), also taking account the weapons and ammunition just asks for trouble.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 01:25:21 pm by jerich »
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2010, 01:25:54 pm »
An area with different gravitational pull bordered by the outlines of a polygon.
The simplest variant.

/\
100 /75\ 100 (% grav pull)
     '''''''''''
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 01:29:41 pm by Horve »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2010, 02:25:15 pm »
* You've been warned so many times, it seems useless at this point.  Stupid to warn you again.  GTFO for a while.
Other than that comment, he did give some good opinions in this thread. Is that one comment at the back really worth a mute?

...unlike SOMEONE who can't say anything more useful than that:
This idea suckz
Twice.

On-topic:
As for camping - what do you think about air limit?
It has been mentioned many times here and I think it'll be a perfect solution against water campers. They simply won't be able to stay underwater for long. If they stay close to the surface, they could camp, but then they'll be just as vulnerable as in open air.
Air limit could be a map setting like jet fuel, so depending on a map it could be adjusted to infinite, or set to "none" so the players will get damaged instantly when they're underwater

On water combat - to me there's no need to slow the bullets down way too much. Instead of decreasing speed - there could be a slight decrease in accuracy or damage and a more straight arc of bullet trajectory. So the combat will still be fast and intense enough, but would feel a lot different (like on one of those zero-gravity servers if you ever played on any).
But at this point I think it's unimportant. Such fine balance is something that should be decided after (and if) the main feature is implemented.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 02:32:48 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2010, 03:11:18 pm »
there is a way to make a bullet change it's trajectory and speed with only bullets collide polygons already.
you put tiny triangles with space in between them in a row and try to shoot through this pillar. See what happens.
      |  ^
--> | /
      | \
          v

If you make the borders of the slowing polygon act as thin bullet colliding lines, you get your bullet slowing and accuracy decrease.
 Usually I'm not keen on exposing my mapping techniques, but here it seemed appropriate.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2010, 03:30:40 pm »
If you make the borders of the slowing polygon act as thin bullet colliding lines, you get your bullet slowing and accuracy decrease.
This would work if players are shooting at each other from opposite sides of water surface, but if they're both underwater - it would look like a generic open-air fight.  In water the effect should spread to the whole space, not just the borders.

Though it still is a nice solution in case Soldat will never have water implemented.

Usually I'm not keen on exposing my mapping techniques, but here it seemed appropriate.
Sorry to disappoint you, but that technique is not that secret. ;P It's even used in some of the default maps (inf_Warehouse for example).

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2010, 03:57:06 pm »
This would work if players are shooting at each other from opposite sides of water surface, but if they're both underwater - it would look like a generic open-air fight.  In water the effect should spread to the whole space, not just the borders.

Though it still is a nice solution in case Soldat will never have water implemented.

Sorry to disappoint you, but that technique is not that secret. ;P It's even used in some of the default maps (inf_Warehouse for example).

An obsolete variant. I think you're referring to a thin LINE, not several tiny triangles that allow the player's bullets to change their course of movement regardless of the direction the bullets come from. In case of a thin straight line, the bullets just collide/ricochet if shot from a <45/>135 degree angle.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 03:59:13 pm by Horve »

Offline CrayAB

• Soldier
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2010, 11:31:42 pm »
Let's add polygons that reverse gravity too while we're at it. Or maybe some teleporting polygons. I always wanted those.
Can it CrayAB
No.

Offline MattH

• Flagrunner
  • It's a real burn, being right so often.
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2010, 12:32:56 am »
I honestly think, that in the long run adding swimming to soldat would ruin the gameplay.
Soldat was made to be a simple straightforward shoot'em up slider game.

Although swimming sounds attractive at first, when you think of all the technical problems it could cause, its just not worth it. 

On another note:
Let's add polygons that reverse gravity too while we're at it. Or maybe some teleporting polygons. I always wanted those.
Can it CrayAB
No.
dude don't be a damn troll, all you have contributed to this thread so far is a bunch of lame half thought insults and four word comments like
Still a bad idea.
Honestly, if you don't have anything constructive to post the don't bother posting at all, you will just make people annoyed.

ALTHOUGH liquids are one of the things that where added to the "Do Not Suggest thread" this forum has been progressively getting less and less active, so threads like this are good for the community.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 10:04:21 am by MattH »

Offline TradeMAAK

• Soldier
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2010, 07:11:27 pm »
No. For the sake of Soldats simplicity.
Translation:
No. For the sake of laziness.
destroy

Offline MorlanV

• Major(1)
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2010, 05:46:36 am »
It wouldn't be synced well for the game, and laggers will be going "OMG HES HOVERING IN WATER"