Author Topic: ctf_Cobra remake  (Read 9689 times)

DarkCrusade

ctf_Cobra remake
« on: January 18, 2013, 11:09:07 am »
Hello folks,

I am finishing some old map projects of mine and decided ctf_Cobra would be first to be released. It is much more a visual overhaul than an actual map remake, which means that the gameplay stays the same but there is more eye-candy. Since I started playing Soldat ctf_Cobra always was one of my favourites and as much as I like the plain and clean look of the original map, I could not just leave that issue unattended.

A screenshot would have been nice, but my internet provider seems to want me jump off and go somewhere else as their people missed all the installation dates I arranged, so that I am left with nothing but my poor phone which I highly hope not to overheat while uploading the .pms file to the forums. Maybe someone else could take care of that? Usually it is no pics, no clicks, but I am still putting it up here.

One notable thing before I shut up: no custom scenery has been added. Only thing maybe to be changed is the amount of polygons. If you put me under duress I could maybe reduce it a little, but I will not go overboard with it. Additionally, I put no effort into adjusting the waypoints which are still the ones known from the original version. If enough people believe this map good enough to be a replacement for the original ctf_Cobra I will create new paths so the bots will move flawlessly.

As always I would like to say that I am open to critique and happy about bug reports which will certainly help me bring this map to perfection. But for now just enjoy what is already done!

Edit: One of my neighbours lets me use his internet. I uploaded a screenshot for the curious and the sceptics ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:12:26 am by DarkCrusade »

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Re: ctf_Cobra remake
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 11:51:46 am »
I'd say it looks better than the previous version

Offline Deadpool

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 12:14:31 pm »
Visually it's better but I guess you didn't do any other changes, did you?

DarkCrusade

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 01:57:55 pm »
@Deadpool: All I changed is the visual appearance of the map. As you can see the layout has not changed. The only real change is that I moved the flags a little, but that's about it!

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 02:01:26 am »
Much better. Gj!
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline NamelessWolf

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 04:43:41 am »
Looks good.

I like the background you added for the tunnel, but I think it could be done for other parts of the map aswell. Maybe add another background for those short tunnels at the middle route? I think some concrete wall would fit, since the sharp edges makes those structures look human made.

Actually, maybe just use the background you used for the pillars and make it fill the whole tunnel? .. and while you're at it the top route could use a cave style background aswell.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 04:46:41 am by NamelessWolf »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 05:09:54 pm »
@NamelessWolf: I just added the suggested scenery. See for yourself whether you like it better. Actually, I do ;)

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 05:40:55 pm »
Uploaded to my servers.

On the other hand it looks pretty black to me:

Can I have the scenery which will only be visible on this map?

@darkcrusade
are there any quite big maps you would recommend for public servers? 6v6 gameplay

Im chill like that

DarkCrusade

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 06:11:50 pm »
@Bonecrusher: I have no maps at all but my own to recommend, because I lost my files in a terrible PC crash that only Windows Vista can be the cause of.

ctf_Sandstorm could be nice for some intense battles. The .pms is in one of the later posts. If you are missing any of the scenery files we will just have to ask around, because I have none of them.
ctf_Cross Roots can be found somewhere on the #soldat.mapping server if I am not mistaken. It comes with an interesting gameplay due to the special layout. The looks are second in order which is kind of unusual for a map created by me.
ctf_Stoneage2 is really made for big battles. The middle area is really broad at the moment, but nothing ain't fixable! If it appears necessary, I will do the changes.

I do not even remember the names of the maps that would suit 6v6 battles as well, so please forgive me for only promoting my own creations. ;)

I am trying to download Soldat MPA right now to pack an archive containing all the necessary scenery and textures you seem to be lacking. With the incredible speed of my PC enhanced by the highspeed internet connection my mobile gives me it will only take around 7 years ;)

Offline squiddy

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • Flagger assassin
    • SoldatX
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 09:46:33 pm »
There isn't actually any point in calling it "Cobra".. Just name it ctf_beach or w/e, and it should be fine
www.soldatx.com.br - The brazilian Soldat community.

Offline NamelessWolf

• Soldier
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 03:11:16 pm »
@NamelessWolf: I just added the suggested scenery. See for yourself whether you like it better. Actually, I do ;)
Looks great! =)

DarkCrusade

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 04:29:36 pm »
So what does the community say: is it a good substitute for the default version? Or do you rather want to keep the old one?

Offline Fryer

• Camper
  • Game dev
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 05:05:53 pm »
I played it a few times on Bonecrusher's server. First time I saw it ingame I liked the visuals. It looks similar in design to the original, but this version has a quite big amount of polybugs, especially on the bridges. Walking on them fast or landing on them gets you stuck. Since Bistoufly and AdE have been working on the bugs for the current version I suggest that you contact them before you make any attempt at suggesting it as a replacement for the default map. :)
...PC vs Mac is like AK47 vs M4A1...
<DutchFlame`> i once heard running runescape in the background gave you a speedboost
<Mr> yes, it allocates more electrons, so there are more electrons available for Soldat -> they are streched less and it is more fluent

Soldat PolyWorks 1.5.0.13 - AimMode - Aim practise gamemode script - Fryer's SoldatStream Mod

DarkCrusade

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 03:30:09 am »
Most bugs should be fixed now but I could not reproduce the occurence you had on the bridges. If there appear any other bugs please tell me where so I can take care of them.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 11:08:44 am »
Since I decided to get my hands back on my ctf maps, I want to bring this one also back up for discussion. What needs to be done before it can go default?

Offline soldat-game

• Camper
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 01:55:17 pm »
Your maps are ugly you should not take for mapping.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 02:34:29 pm »
Oh better stop saying that.
You need to realize that there are some obvious thing in this world that we dont say loud ;)

Also if we bump necro threats maybe we should post new map and then discuss it, because what do discuss if everyone said what they wanted on first version?
Discuss, discuss and again discuss... In this time you could actually make map test it and post it...
Just saying...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 02:46:45 pm by Akinaro »

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 02:55:52 pm »
What I would like to see more of is a sense of story to the map

What is it supposed to look like?
Is it a tropical island with military like in Just Cause 3 or Far Cry 3?
Why is that moon there?
The banana texture is not very unique
The lower route is a bit booring, you could do a more exiting tunnel with lights on the walls or railway system for carrying gold or something

It also needs polishing, don't you dare put any half-finished maps to the new and beautiful 1.7 (although it's better than default)

DarkCrusade

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 03:33:09 pm »
What I would like to see more of is a sense of story to the map

What is it supposed to look like?
Is it a tropical island with military like in Just Cause 3 or Far Cry 3?

I will try and elaborate on the theming. It is supposed to be a deserted place once inhabited by people.

Why is that moon there?

Why is the sun shining? :P It's an indicator for time of day for the setting of the map.

The banana texture is not very unique

Yeah, I see what you mean. Will try and give it a better look.

The lower route is a bit booring, you could do a more exiting tunnel with lights on the walls or railway system for carrying gold or something

That's a cool idea. A gold mine, huh. Will see what I can do.

It also needs polishing, don't you dare put any half-finished maps to the new and beautiful 1.7 (although it's better than default)

I do not want half-finished maps in 1.7 either. That's why I brought it back up to get some relevant feedback. Thank you for that! :)

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 08:31:54 pm »
Fix the textures for 1.7. Here's my suggestions, cuz the map looks so flat to me.
Refs https://goo.gl/5x3M2g hehe :P

2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards