Author Topic: CTF/DM - Ratsteroids v1.3  (Read 10446 times)

Offline RatBoy

• Soldier
  • Fowl Language
    • RatBoy Maps
CTF/DM - Ratsteroids v1.3
« on: May 30, 2007, 03:27:14 am »
CTF/DM - Ratsteroids v1.3:

Map's Story:
During the Soldatian wars, a few members of the rebel organization most known as PolyWorks were driven off by the evil empire of a moon they were holding, very few survived the struggle. They managed to re-establish in an asteriod ring and built a base there. This asteroid ring, as weird as it may be, had a complete breathable athmosphere, and people could mind their own business in the middle of space without exploding to bits, but this protection had a limit and it was very close to the asteroids themselves.

The evil empire soon found out about the rebel base and the asteroid ring's properties, and they wanted the whole thing for themselves. This dispute can only be resolved one way. By capturing each others flag (?)

Comments:
It's finally finished. I've been fighting with this one for a really long time, it just wouldn't satisfy me. And when something doesn't satisfy myself, I never released. But I managed to finish it, and I can say I'm really proud of this one.

I posted past year the beta for this map (originally Asteroids, but I changed the name), and got some info on how you guys would like the map. Then with my own ideas wich I wanted to do since the begining of the map, I started crafting what it is now.

The changes can be seen everywhere, I've added base structures and a middle one, space fx around, improved the asteroids look, granted some underground tunnels, and also created a smaller DeathMatch version. You couldn't ask for more.

About the waypoints. Usually I like to make my maps complete, in every way I can. But sincerely, I suck at making waypoints. Really. I practiced a LOT, studied a lot of tutorials and watched others maps. I just can't get along with them. In my other maps I've done what I can, but on this one, I just don't see a way to make decent waypoints, because of the gameplay of the map and it having no "main floor". If anyone wants to give me a hand with this issue, I'd be really thankfull, and of course give full credit when released with the wps, but until then, the map won't have wps because I won't make them :P

I hope you enjoy it and like it, it took me a lot of work. ^^

Update v1.1: (07/23/2007)
A little minor update, added more detail. Some small structures around and stuff in asteroids, also added fogged clouds, now the background looks a lot better, just as I wanted it to look like.

Update v1.2: (08/23/2007)
My updates seem to never end really. Along with the mappack this version is now available. This new update brings along many improvements. In the graphic section, I've added a lot of detail, mainly in the tunnels, making proper lamps and windows. I've also removed the unrealistic fx in the background, and added a scenery of Mars in the alpha side, got the idea from SonSukka who commmented in SML. Also there's a lot of polygon reduction (Around 200) without losing any detail at all. And about gameplay I've replaced all objects so it's better balanced now. Hope you like this one more!

Update v1.3: (04/23/2009)
This one was really needed. Sorry I took a sabaticall from mapping though. Thanks to the tip and help of Suowarrior, I've fixed every polybug I could find on the map, thus fixing the main problem the previous version had, the gameplay. For that matter I've also added a couple of additional tunnels and enlarged all the previous ones so Soldatians can have a little more space. The tip of the violet deadly cloud is also implemented in this version, now you won't explode for nothing (Can't be seen in the overview but it's there). Besides the gameplay fixes, I've also updated all the graphicall set, new texture for the structures, redetailed the whole level, made sure all textures were rightly placed & removed lots of wasted polygons. So please be free to comment, enjoy it and await some more new surprises soon ^^

Overviews:
Capture The Flag / DeathMatch

Screenshots:

Information: (CTF / DM)
Polygons: 2417 / 1523
Scenery: 500 / 322
Spawns: 96 / 93
Colliders: 15 / 10
Waypoints: 0 / 0
Connections: 0 / 0
Dimensions: 4960x1847 / 2470x2035

Aditional Credits:
Spot lights and light cones by SERIAL KILLeR (www.skmods.tk)
Crates from MapCenter Texture Challenge #1 Pack
Texture modified from "rustedmetal" & "pomarancz" from original game package.

Download Links:
- The Mapping Showcase (ZIP)
- 4shared (RAR)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 05:50:29 am by RatBoy »

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
Re: CTF/HTF/DM - Ratsteroids v1.0
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 05:05:03 am »
Dude, I'm speech less... this is just a great map! xD dling it right now ;)
Text goes here...

Offline wedding

• Camper
  • [AdkZ] BuTcH3r
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 07:22:04 am »
WOW dude! Thats a really nice map i think!! I love the picture of the earth in the background and the moon! But espacially i love the building in the center of the map [ctf]....IT ROX!!! This map gives that spacy feeling very goooooood....NICE MAP, GREAT JOB!

GRTZ:

[AdkZ] -=BuTcH3r=-
Sex is like Hacking.You get in, you get out,then you hope that you didn't leave something behind that can be traced back to you.

Offline strogluns

• Major
  • Creepy Bast*rd
    • Planet Faya
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 12:43:12 pm »
Yes, I love this sh*t !!!
Its very good for ERA or Mecha mods

"Follow the Great Strogluns. You wont be disapointed."(Book of the Cerebral Ever-circling Shadows, Gen. 3.15)

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 06:18:42 pm »
Are there any servers that play this? It seems like it would be a very fun map to play on.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 06:22:08 pm »
Are there any servers that play this? It seems like it would be a very fun map to play on.
It's a little big for my tastes, but if you like a big map its really good.

Offline RatBoy

• Soldier
  • Fowl Language
    • RatBoy Maps
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 11:37:37 pm »
Thanks everyone for the comments! I'm planning to do a conversion of this map to UT2k4, I think it would fit really nicely in a 3D enviroment. You guys think it's a good idea?

Offline SirJamesaford

• Flagrunner
  • SirJamesaford is still in the early Beta stage.
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 11:39:05 pm »
Wow that map looks awesome.
And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon

Offline wedding

• Camper
  • [AdkZ] BuTcH3r
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 06:31:18 am »
Thanks everyone for the comments! I'm planning to do a conversion of this map to UT2k4, I think it would fit really nicely in a 3D enviroment. You guys think it's a good idea?

Yeah i think so! But i think it could be hard to realise that idea! Cuz 3-D is very much more complex than 2-D...But nevertheless i wish u good luck for this project! ;)

GRTZ:

[AdkZ] -=BuTcH3r=-
Sex is like Hacking.You get in, you get out,then you hope that you didn't leave something behind that can be traced back to you.

Offline RatBoy

• Soldier
  • Fowl Language
    • RatBoy Maps
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 10:58:10 am »
It is, but I'm familiar with Unreal's engine, I practised a lot with the first game and with the last one, It's actually very versatile.

Offline wedding

• Camper
  • [AdkZ] BuTcH3r
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 02:04:29 pm »
It is, but I'm familiar with Unreal's engine, I practised a lot with the first game and with the last one, It's actually very versatile.

Kk then i stay tuned for it...I guess it will be as nice as ur maps in soldat-forums! ;)

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 06:09:46 pm »
You had to choose one of the cheasier Earth's to add into the map...nah, it was a nice addition ;).

Well, of course, nice feel. Looks like it has good gameplay. I'm going to download it. I wish I could add some constructive critism but I would have to play it first, and even then...I don't know if I could come up with anything.

Offline RatBoy

• Soldier
  • Fowl Language
    • RatBoy Maps
Re: CTF/HTF/DM - Ratsteroids v1.1
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 01:43:28 pm »
New version added, details in the main post. =)

Offline yionlo

• Major(1)
  • Respect is everyting
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 01:47:38 pm »
dang!!! your map is so awesome ;D
Respect is everyting

Offline Master Chief43

• Soldier
  • When life gives you lemons, eat them :D
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 03:18:23 pm »
Good Map... but no waypoints... =( Overall: 9.5/10
In-Game Name: "Master Chief43"
Favorite Map: ctf_Ash
Favorite Mods: Special Operation 2.0, Original Soldier 1.9
Favorite Guns: [MP5][AK74][socom][Barret]

Offline Cappy

• Flagrunner
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 03:19:15 pm »
It looks amazing, gj.

[DE] ~ ~ ~

Offline Ivel

• Soldier
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 03:53:48 pm »
I think that the looks are really good, just personally, I don't like the whole Mars/Asteroids theme. Although you made it beautiful! 5/5

p.s. ITS TMS! NOT TSM! XD <3333
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 07:42:50 pm by Ivel »

Proud Staff Member of U13 and EnEsCe Corp.
|____________________________________________|

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 06:36:53 pm »
I preferred the original, more realistic looking asteroids field. Now you've crammed not only bases but an entire visible galaxy and nebula just outside of the earth, and that bugs me. :P What I really hate though is the use of JPEGs as scenery, particularly on such large ones such as the Earth background. I think it looks horrid in game. Why did you not use a PNG or BMP?

Offline RatBoy

• Soldier
  • Fowl Language
    • RatBoy Maps
Re: CTF/HTF/DM - Ratsteroids v1.2
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 06:15:43 pm »
I preferred the original, more realistic looking asteroids field. Now you've crammed not only bases but an entire visible galaxy and nebula just outside of the earth, and that bugs me. :P What I really hate though is the use of JPEGs as scenery, particularly on such large ones such as the Earth background. I think it looks horrid in game. Why did you not use a PNG or BMP?

There, this new version is fairly more "realistic", removed the nebula and galaxy, and added mars to the alpha side ^^.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
Re: CTF/HTF/DM - Ratsteroids v1.2
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 10:19:45 am »
As a piece of art I would give you 5/5 but as a soldat map, not really... This one got an atmosphere not gameplay. The layout is bad for gameplay: The "bottom way" is kinda useless... Also bad for gameplay are polybugs which there are everywhere which causes a a lot of spinning around and there is impossible to move smoothly...

looks: 2/2 + layout: ½/3 = overall: 2½