Author Topic: [App Idea] Mapping Overview Shotter  (Read 2889 times)

Offline RatBoy

• Soldier
  • Fowl Language
    • RatBoy Maps
[App Idea] Mapping Overview Shotter
« on: October 16, 2007, 02:08:58 am »
I find that making the overview of a map is a really painfull thing to do. Sure, you can just zoom out in polyworks until everything is in sight and take a snapshot. But the idea is to make the overviews at 100% zooming, wich I do with all my maps. But, to do this I usually have to take snapshots of pieces of the map and paste them together in photoshop, then build the overview like a puzzle. While this if fun ONE time, after a while it gets so not fun. So, my idea for an app, is one app that takes an image of the whole level at 100%, with all sceneries and details showing, and it delivers it in a single shot without having to do the whole thing.

I don't know if this is possible, or easy to do, I don't make applications, I have no idea how to even program a minesweeper. But, if anyone thinks that he can do it, it would really help mappers to make detailed overviews of their proyects. So long and thanks for reading.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Re: [App Idea] Mapping Overview Shotter
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 04:40:50 am »
I've had this idea lurking in the back of my mind for a long time now. Yes, it is very possible to create a program like this. The only thing is that it isn't the easiest task to do and one has to put a relatively lot of time into it.
There are other worlds than these

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 04:51:46 am »
Hell yeah! No more poor overviews! We want detailed overviews!!
F12  ;D

Offline RatBoy

• Soldier
  • Fowl Language
    • RatBoy Maps
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 09:33:01 pm »
I think this would be a great feature for mappers. Maybe it could be a feature in a next Polyworks version? Or a plugin or something maybe?

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 10:42:34 pm »
I think this would be a great feature for mappers. Maybe it could be a feature in a next Polyworks version? Or a plugin or something maybe?
Anna said she will not continue working on polyworks and released the source code. I don't think polyworks is capable of third party plugins / extensions without customizing the source code and recompiling.

Still, I find myself digging through the polywork's & doc's pms reader's source code. I hope to make some kind of useful mapping utility within the next few months.

There are other worlds than these

Offline RatBoy

• Soldier
  • Fowl Language
    • RatBoy Maps
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 04:19:46 am »
I look foward to see the utility someday, there's no rush anyway ^^.

Offline Underworld

• Camper
  • Mapper
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 02:11:11 pm »
there a free program like this is use to have it but i lost it it was called something like snapper
I don't understand
do you mean that there is a /faceplam commmand ?
and this command should drop a random item ?